Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DirecTV has started field installs of their Multi-Room Viewing (MRV) solution.

Cutting Edge users have been testing MRV over ethernet for many months, and the performance has improved dramatically. More recently some users field tested a DECA networking solution that uses the existing coax wire to connect the receivers, which has also demonstrated stable performance.

MRV today remains a public beta for anyone connecting their receivers via Ethernet. Updated software on the HR2x or H2x lines offer MRV setup in the "Multi-Room" menu of the system setup screen. At the end of the public beta (expected this summer) users with existing networks can still use MRV after adding the $3 MRV capability to their account. DirecTV will still offer use of ethernet networks, but will only support (think technicial support / install / repair) their DECA networks.

You can read about the public beta over ethernet networking here:
DIRECTV: Multi-Room HD DVR Service

You can read more about DECA networking in this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...hnology-directv-ethernet-coaxial-adapter.html

-----

The field solution DirecTV is rolling out for test markets are believed to include:
H24 & HR24 receivers (both feature built-in DECA networking), SWiM technology upgrades (if needed). Initial reports are that the upgrade costs $99, and the lease upgrade receiver charge is also required ($99 for H24, $199 for HR24), though some accounts may qualify for discounts.

Given this pricing, it sounds like this initial rollout testing is targeted to customers upgrading to HD for the first time or new customer installs.

A few things to keep in mind: MRV requires HD Access ($10/mo), DVR service ($7/mo) and a MRV capability fee ($3/mo). Essentially $20 on top of your programming package. All these fees are per account, not per receiver. A HD-DVR receiver can only output one stream to any other receiver at a time. If you have one HR24 and multiple H24's, you can only watch a recorded program on one of the H24's at any given time. The H24's can also set programs to record to the DVR and delete programs from the DVR (although deletion capability can be turned off).

The initial communication says there is a limit of 8 MRV capable receivers. This can be a mix of DVR or just HD receivers. No specifics on how they will approach installs of large quantities of receivers yet.

While the HR24 & H24 have DECA capability built-in, the setup will require one external DECA adapter to connect to the customer's home router to enable On Demand programming and other features. It sounds as though the $99 MRV upgrade fee will include this external DECA adapter to connect the DECA "cloud" to the home network.

As of this week, DirecTV is offering installation and official MRV support in these markets: . Columbia-Jefferson City, Missouri; Denver, Colorado; Fresno-Visalia, California; Portland, Oregon.

For the rest, DirecTV says: The DIRECTV Multi-Room DVR service will be available nationwide soon. Man how we all love that word "soon".

Details on the select market test are here:
DIRECTV: Multi-Room DVR Service

The information from DirecTV is very limited right now and I've done my best to pool information from DirecTV, some users in the test markets, and knowledge from the CE tests over the past months.

If something doesn't look right or you think I missed something, please share.

We'll know alot more on MRV and what it looks like long-term on DirecTV in the coming weeks.

I agree the $3 isn't bad. I even think the $99 is fair, it would be an add-on to a new customer install, but it would include a DECA adapter (around $80 for comparable equipment), installation, hookup to the router, and make sure it all works.

The $99 is only the equipment. They also stated that there would be a $50 installation charge.

The $99 is only the equipment. They also stated that there would be a $50 installation charge.

I think that was someone calling to upgrade, I haven't read if a new customer install would require that as well? Historically they have always done new customer installs free, even ones requiring more features. (think things like pole mount, over 8 tuners, etc).

I wouldn't be suprised to see some of the pricing change as they expand their test. Eventually I'd bet it will be one flat fee.

See JAG72, I wasn't talking out of my you know what last night..:D..I'm not the only one that has heard about being able to keep your own network.....

See JAG72, I wasn't talking out of my you know what last night..:D..I'm not the only one that has heard about being able to keep your own network.....

Never said that you were. I just think that they will go down the road of not allowing people to use their own network.

Never said that you were. I just think that they will go down the road of not allowing people to use their own network.

We shall see, you can feel free to tell me you told me so when that happens, but for now, I am encouraged that DirecTV doesn't immediately plan to force us CE'rs to upgrade to DECA to use something we have been testing for them for FREE since June.....

people in the four markets received emails which stated a $99 upgrade fee but nothing about an installation charge. this is the first i heard.

I doubt they will refuse to take my $3 per month.

If they want $150 up front, no thanks. $3 per month, no problem.

Actually the $99 fee may not be that bad. It provides a SWiM16 and the Deca modules. It also includes a swap of all non-SWiM capable receivers. If you are holding on to some old hardware and have been thinking of upgrading this could be a huge savings.

I personally don't like the $50 install fee as I would want to do the installation myself.

Actually the $99 fee may not be that bad. It provides a SWiM16 and the Deca modules. It also includes a swap of all non-SWiM capable receivers. If you are holding on to some old hardware and have been thinking of upgrading this could be a huge savings.

I personally don't like the $50 install fee as I would want to do the installation myself.

SWiM 16 - I'll believe it when I see it. Few people will need it, and they will probably fight any way to avoid putting it in. They still fight to give people the actual SWM 8 switch.

Deca modules are built into the HR24/H24, so most new installs / HD upgrades (new to HD) only need one DECA module to connect to router).

Yes, they will install some D12's and R16's to replace some old equipment. Or they will try to sell you an H24 so those TV's can take advantage of MRV too.

I think the $99 + $50 is really targeted to new customers or existing customer HD upgrade. They haven't really spoken to how they will handle existing HD customers getting upgraded, if they will use external DECA modules or upgrade the HR2x / H2x to HR24/H24. If they turn around and expect another lease upgrade fee, there will be few existing HD customers getting MRV (via DECA anyway).

I think the $99 + $50 is really targeted to new customers or existing customer HD upgrade. They haven't really spoken to how they will handle existing HD customers getting upgraded, if they will use external DECA modules or upgrade the HR2x / H2x to HR24/H24. If they turn around and expect another lease upgrade fee, there will be few existing HD customers getting MRV (via DECA anyway).

Why would the upgrade fee be for new customers? They would very easily be able to give new customers the proper equipment without having to worry about extra fees. I personally feel that this fee is for the current customers that may need some upgrades to make everything happen.

The initial communication says there is a limit of 8 MRV capable receivers. This can be a mix of DVR or just HD receivers. No specifics on how they will approach installs of large quantities of receivers yet.

I have heard this as well but it does not match what Directv states within their own FAQ's.

What is the maximum number of TVs that can share one DVR?
Up to 15 TVs can share one DVR. One of them must be connected to the HD DVR receiver and the others must be connected to HD receivers.

DIRECTV 5What is the maximum number of TVs that can share one DVR?

I have have seen on another location people say how much space this would allow for storage of programming compared to what they have now. Does anyone know how much storage this will allow?

My feelings exactly. They would have missed out on lots of subs if they made everyone pay $150. If MRV wasn't working for me I might consider it, but it's working great.

I have have seen on another location people say how much space this would allow for storage of programming compared to what they have now. Does anyone know how much storage this will allow?

I believe I read it is a 500gb hard drive, just like the HR23. Nothing more than the current line as far as storage. ESATA is always an option of course.

I too would pay $3/mo for the feature but not the install or equipment fee. I already have all the equipment I need and MRV is working via my home network.

I didn't spend all the time or money to install cat5e cable to every room for the hell of it. Granted I didn't do it just for DirecTV either.

I say if it's working now, why fix it. I don't need DirecTV to support my home network. I support my own network. Now that I have MRV, I don't want to loose it. If DirecTV can't make this happen for only an additional $3/mo perhaps it's time I look at Uverse.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)