DIRECTV Supports Amazon Alexa

Status
Please reply by conversation.
*mod hat on* Let's talk about the subject and not each other. I deleted a couple of unneeded posts. *mod hat off*

Last edited:
*mod hat on* Let's talk about the subject and not each other. I deleted a couple of unneeded posts. *mod hat off*
"Unrelated posts " ?

As your well aware of, Most threads have post that go away from the subject in them as the thread gets longer and longer and nothing else relevent to the subject happens.

I'm just sayin.

I am told it’s a slow rollout. Just keep checking your Alexa app skills for when it is available to you.

If you have a Harmony Hub, Alexa works with that to control the Directv tuner and the TV. I can power on/off, change channels by number, and sometimes by name ("Alexa, change to ESPN" works). It's limited in what it can do, but simple things are possible.

This will be fun to try out when it's released. I was all excited until I read the whole thread, but's it's nice to see this is the pipeline.

Used to hate the idea of these digital assistants but they're fun to play around with. I have all three major digital assistant smart speaker platforms. I've had the Google Home since day 1 and recently added an Echo Plus and a Harmon Kardon Invoke Microsoft Cortana speaker. The smart home stuff is pretty neat, I wouldn't depend on it, but it adds convenience to life. Three of my coworkers that I know of have purchased Echo devices for elderly family members. An Echo Dot and some Wemo smart plugs and bulbs or something similar goes a long way for those with mobility issues. I have switched just about every lightbulb in the house over to Philips Hue lights, I’m starting to put in Wemo smart plugs, although that won’t be a big undertaking since most of my stuff plugs into Power Centers of UPS units. All three platforms work with Hue, Wemo is supported by Amazon and Google. Also have an Echo Dot in the kitchen and Google Home Mini in the living room. Made an early New Years Resolution not to step foot in any retail environment besides a restaurant, the Echo is helping me keep that as it’s is really nice to say ‘Hey Alexa, order me a bottle of Tide, case of Surge and can of Lemon Pledge.’

There are times that my remote gets lost in the blankets or the phone rings, saying ‘Hey Alexa Pause current show’ would be awesome if DVR functions are supported. Searching would also be great. Due to how annoying and tedious it is to use the on screen keyboards, I’ve maybe used the search functionality a half a dozen times. Being able to search by voice would be great.

Status
Please reply by conversation.