DIRECTV Supports Amazon Alexa

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you have a Harmony Hub, Alexa works with that to control the Directv tuner and the TV. I can power on/off, change channels by number, and sometimes by name ("Alexa, change to ESPN" works). It's limited in what it can do, but simple things are possible.
I have not yet been able to get Alexa to use a sleep timer with my Harmony. She says thatr she set the sleep timer in ....mins, but nothing happens. Has anyone had any luck.

I would say probably not, or at least not for a long time. After spending a lot of time looking up info on these smart speakers Amazon and Google seem to be taking two different approaches.

Amazon is going for the home control/smart home functionality segment as evident by the number of skills are available on the platform and multitude of items that can be controlled by the Echo. They really want to make it a smart home hub, plus integrate it with other Amazon service like Amazon Music and Audible.

Google is more after the personal assistant aspect, which is why I’m thinking they didn’t give it a human sounding name, just Google Assistant. Calendars, reminders, news/sports run downs, asking questions and having it pull from their own search results. Plus data mining. Google is all about data mining.

Not saying that there isn’t a lot of overlap between the two, or Amazon is terrible with providing data and Google is terrible at home control, it just seems like at this time, that is where each company is going with their platform.

I’ve been using Alexa to control my directv for several months now. There are several tutorials online that show you how to build your own skill for this.
Interesting I’ll have to find the tutorials your talking about and watch it before I do it Thanks

I couldn’t post the link but the one I followed was done by Brandon Kleszynski. It is pretty straightforward if you have some programming experience.
Thanks Appreciate it very much I’ll check it out

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)