DirecTV to add 44 HD local markets (Updated with Launch Schedule)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Burlington VT WCAX (CBS) hd locals

I had an interesting call with the WCAX (cbs) local affiliate to ask them why Burlington VT did not receive CBS hd locals at launch today and I was told by engineering that Directv has not even filed an agreement with WCAX and that they have received no paperwork from Directv.. How fustrating!!!

Wow, what's up with THAT?

Channel 3 in Burlington, VT is pretty darn big here, it covers almost the whole state of Vermont and is regarded as pretty much THE CBS facility - and nothing has been done by Direct TV to even file paperwork with them???? There is no other CBS affiliate in this area!!

I hope this gets resolved soon, and does not take MONTHS! :mad:

The problem doesn't lie in paperwork at the station. It lies in negotations with the ownership. Often times, the local station doesn't know anything about it until the agreement is finalized, and then they're told to "make it happen".

Here's the report from Springfield, IL...we got blessed with ALL of our locals coming in HD (including all PBS stations):
We got 9 HD local channels this morning...all up and running. Thank you D*!!!

Are you sure you have all 9 HD locals on your receiver? The online guide shows duplicate, but the local channel listing does not. Also, very unlikely that they launched 9 HD locals, including multiple PBS.

The TV Listings on directv.com often show extras at launch time. How many are on your receiver with duplicate satellite channels?

Are you sure you have all 9 HD locals on your receiver? The online guide shows duplicate, but the local channel listing does not. Also, very unlikely that they launched 9 HD locals, including multiple PBS.

The TV Listings on directv.com often show extras at launch time. How many are on your receiver with duplicate satellite channels?

Ya...I am positive. We have the Big 5 in HD (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, & NBC). The rest are 4 regional PBS/MTN stations all in HD with different programming on each.

As of 2pm CST...here is what I am getting in HD on my channel guide:

3 CBS (WCIA) - Champaign HD = Guiding Light

12 PBS (WILL) - Champaign HD = History Detectives

14 PBS (WSEC) - Decatur HD = Reading Rainbow

17 NBC (WAND) - Decatur HD = The Bonnie Hunt Show

20 ABC (WICS) - Springfield HD = General Hospital

23 CW (WBUI) - Champaign HD = My Wife and Kids

49 MNT (WCFN) - Champaign HD = Family Court with Judge Penny

51 PBS (WEIU) - Springfield HD = Geo Junior

55 FOX (WRSP) - Springfield HD = Jury Duty

It's UNREAL!!! I think since Champaign-Springfield-Decatur are all within a 60 mile radius of each other we get the benefit of all 3 cities programming.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why in the Burlington Vt DMA, channel 3 WCAX (CBS), channel 33 WETK (pbs) and channel 57 WCFE (PBS) are showing on my 2 HD receivers as HD duplicates but only being broadcast in SD. Is this a glich? There is also a new channel 40 WCWF with to be announced...Directv doesnt know why I am seeing these duplicates as they are not provided in HD as of yet.

Confusing channel guide

HD Locals were turned on early yesterday in our market, the Burlington, VT area. However, the resulting channel guide is quite confusing as all channels
in the area show up as identical names, i.e., 3 WCAX - 5 WPTZ - 22 WVNY - 44 WFFF all show up twice as names of channels. I needed to scroll ahead in the guide to find out which channel is the HD version by looking at upcoming programming that had the HD symbol.

I know you can turn off SD duplicates, but why not just add the HD to the name of the channel so that the above would be named 3 WCAXHD, 5 WPTZHD, 22 WVNYHD, AND 44 WFFFHD?

Just curious....

Richard L.

This channel WCWF exists!

Does anyone know why in the Burlington Vt DMA, channel 3 WCAX (CBS), channel 33 WETK (pbs) and channel 57 WCFE (PBS) are showing on my 2 HD receivers as HD duplicates but only being broadcast in SD. Is this a glich? There is also a new channel 40 WCWF with to be announced...Directv doesnt know why I am seeing these duplicates as they are not provided in HD as of yet.

I just found out this info about channel 40 wcwf that apparently already exists from Wiki Encyclopedia:

WCWF is the newest television station in the Plattsburgh, New York - Burlington, Vermont market. Licensed to Saranac Lake, the station broadcasts an analog signal on UHF channel 40. WCWF's transmitter is located south of the village of Moody at the top of the currently unused Big Tupper Ski Area. Its studio is located at 1958 Route 30 in Tupper Lake, New York. The station is owned by Channel 61 Associates LLC of Sarasota, Florida, which is composed of Floyd Cox, Donald J. McHone and SMC Communications, the owners of WWBI-LP.
The station went on the air on September 11, 2007, however, the signal doesn't actually reach Plattsburgh or Burlington, nor does it reach Montreal, where Burlington/Plattsburgh stations get many of their viewers from. [1] This will be a great disadvantage for WCWF, in which they would need to rely on cable coverage in Burlington and Plattsburgh (a moot point for now, as the station carries the same schedule and ads as WWBI), as well as approval from the CRTC to be carried on cable systems in Montreal.
WCWF applied for its construction permit on September 22, 1995. The FCC approved it on October 4, 2004.

So by inclusion in the program list, is Direct TV planning on adding it? probably not....

Richard Longwell

I know you can turn off SD duplicates, but why not just add the HD to the name of the channel so that the above would be named 3 WCAXHD, 5 WPTZHD, 22 WVNYHD, AND 44 WFFFHD?

Not sure why they don't add HD to the local HDs, they haven't in any market that I know of.

What may help you, other than favorites lists, is that the HD will always be on top (at least as far as I know).

I'm in the Norfolk-Newport News region and am eager to get the HD local channels here. I get them all fine over the air, but if I want to record on my DVR it, of course, is in SD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)