DirecTV to launch "Switch from Dish" campaign

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The more customers you have the more complaints your going to have. This is why the company with more complaints could still get the J.D. Power and Associates award for customer satisfaction. Its based upon percentage. It seems like even the best still has a lot of issues.

BabaLouie said:
How can you say this is incorrect? Did you monitor the phone conversation??? You can say this isn't D*'s regular policy, but be careful about saying it NEVER happened.

I'm NOT making this up. When I saw my friend, she was so mad she was still hyper-ventilating. She had a problem with billing, and whomever she talked to (no, I don't know a name--I doubt if she does either) told her there would be a $5 fee to talk to a representative.

Is it possible she had a misunderstanding? Yes, but knowing this woman, I don't think that's likely.

It is Incorrect. It is not D* policy just to talk as I quote you "She was told that in order to actually talk to a CSR, she would have to PAY $5.00". The point is you tried to report wrong information. If she tried to order a PPV its is 5 dollars if you place a phone order because they charge an assistance fee, but to talk they would have NEVER charged her any amount of money. ;)

The Tate said:
It is Incorrect. It is not D* policy just to talk as I quote you "She was told that in order to actually talk to a CSR, she would have to PAY $5.00". The point is you tried to report wrong information. If she tried to order a PPV its is 5 dollars if you place a phone order because they charge an assistance fee, but to talk they would have NEVER charged her any amount of money. ;)

She was NOT trying to order PPV. She got hooked up with a rep who told her that in order to talk with someone about her problem, she would have to pay a $5 fee. Don't call someone a liar when YOU were NOT privy to the conversation. You may say you DOUBT it, but don't say it never happened.

As far as it not being D*'s policy to do this, I'll take your word for that...But do you really believe that the phone reps ALWAYS go strictly by company policy? There have been plenty of reports on this board over the years of situations where reps gave WRONG information. I'm glad you are able to have such a comprehensive trust in D*'s CSR's.

BabaLouie said:
She was NOT trying to order PPV. She got hooked up with a rep who told her that in order to talk with someone about her problem, she would have to pay a $5 fee. Don't call someone a liar when YOU were NOT privy to the conversation. You may say you DOUBT it, but don't say it never happened.

As far as it not being D*'s policy to do this, I'll take your word for that...But do you really believe that the phone reps ALWAYS go strictly by company policy? There have been plenty of reports on this board over the years of situations where reps gave WRONG information. I'm glad you are able to have such a comprehensive trust in D*'s CSR's.

Its not just me. You and I are the same in this situation because YOU were NOT privy to the conversation also.;) You are going by what your friend said and I am stating what is fact and that is there is never a charge to talk to a D* rep.:up
vurbano said:
Never heard that one before.
damaged said:
If you call D* and order a PPV, they will charge a 5 dollar assistance fee, otherwise, there is never a charge to talk to a CSR.

OK boys play nice...Baba you made a negative statement about D* that sounds ridiculous. Never been one of those on anyones bill. Your friend either misunderstood or whatever, anyway your gonna get flamed when you bash a company that receives a million calls and your friend is the only one ever to get that response. And Tate, you and I were not there. Of course we weren't at Elvis's 60th birthday party either so we can't say that it didn't happen!

FlyingJ said:
OK boys play nice...Baba you made a negative statement about D* that sounds ridiculous. Never been one of those on anyones bill.

I didn't say there had ever been one of those on anyone's bill. I said that the rep told her if she WANTED to talk to someone about billing, they were GOING to charge her $5. Look at what I wrote. Never said they ever actually charged anyone that amount for talking to a rep.

FlyingJ said:
Your friend either misunderstood or whatever

I am willing to admit this might be a possibility. I don't think so, but it could have happened that way. I also think it's a possiblility--a stronger one--that a D* rep screwed up, though I know you guys find it difficult to believe that could ever happen.

FlyingJ said:
anyway your gonna get flamed when you bash a company that receives a million calls and your friend is the only one ever to get that response.

Why? Why do I have to get flamed when I report what my friend told me? And how do we know my friend is the only one ever to get that response? Maybe more people would report such incidents on this board if they didn't think they would get "flamed" for it.

FlyingJ said:
And Tate, you and I were not there. Of course we weren't at Elvis's 60th birthday party either so we can't say that it didn't happen!

They had a 60th birthday bash for the King--he just wasn't there!:) Of course, since I heard about this on the news, and wasn't actually there in person, I'll probably get flamed for reporting this. :rolleyes:

The Tate said:
Its not just me. You and I are the same in this situation because YOU were NOT privy to the conversation also.;) You are going by what your friend said and I am stating what is fact and that is there is never a charge to talk to a D* rep.:up

D*'s policy may be to never charge to talk to a D* rep.

D* may have never charged anyone to talk to one of their reps.

But neither of those things are what I said. I said that a D* rep TOLD my friend that they would charge her to talk to a CSR about a particular problem.

Yes, I am going by what my friend said. I have never known her to lie or be untrustworthy.

You are talking about D* policy. I am talking about what a CSR said. If CSR's perfectly follow D* policy 100% of the time, then you're right, what my friend said has to be incorrect. If they do not perfectly follow D* policy 100% of the time then YOU REALLY CAN'T SAY FOR SURE.

BabaLouie said:
D*'s policy may be to never charge to talk to a D* rep.

D* may have never charged anyone to talk to one of their reps.

But neither of those things are what I said. I said that a D* rep TOLD my friend that they would charge her to talk to a CSR about a particular problem.

Yes, I am going by what my friend said. I have never known her to lie or be untrustworthy.

You are talking about D* policy. I am talking about what a CSR said. If CSR's perfectly follow D* policy 100% of the time, then you're right, what my friend said has to be incorrect. If they do not perfectly follow D* policy 100% of the time then YOU REALLY CAN'T SAY FOR SURE.
If this happened (crs and the $ 5 quote) I would have immediatly asked to speak to a supervisor.

Jimbo

BabaLouie said:
She had a problem with billing, and whomever she talked to (no, I don't know a name--I doubt if she does either) told her there would be a $5 fee to talk to a representative.

Is it possible she had a misunderstanding? Yes, but knowing this woman, I don't think that's likely.

I had a problem with billing. The douchebags stopped mailing one. First guy I talked to (india) said all bills went out as normal. Well, that's not right, because they never made it here. Anyway, as a result of all this, the account got behind (I found out when they cut my service off). They wanted $5 to take a payment over the phone (plus the late fees). I paid for it online. I called back in a few hours to get the service restarted, and at that time, everything was supposed to be hunky dory. 2 months later, still no bill, but this time I do get a WTF where's our money reminder email from directv, so I call in again. Same deal $5 for payment over the phone. Pay online. Wait a week (service didn't get cut off this time), call DTV, and this time I get a real live american who speaks english as a first language. She found that someone had turned off my paper bill. She was supposed to have turned it back "on".

There is a $5 PPV phone fee, and a seperate $5 phone payment processing fee, which is probably what your friend bumped up against.

I also found it interesting that Mr India said there were 2 accounts in my name and that one was "in collections", and the American person could not find this mysterious second account.

Mtnmike said:
A "heckuva a lot more" may be just around the corner when the dust settles on the TIVO/Echostar lawsuit. You can be certain the legal costs of this decision will be passed on to the DISH customer. Not to mention the potential loss of DVR service.

In any event this action is going to have a serious impact on DISH's ability to compete for new customers until this is settled, and that translates into additional revenue loss. The pressure is on DISH to find a way to settle, and TIVO holds all the cards. DISH loses regardless if the court decides or they settle.

In the meantime stock will continue to plunge and company worth will drop (not a good thing) while costs go up and customer base stagnates or falls. Do the math and be prepared to pay for this disaster if you are a DISH customer. Increased cost to the customer will result in more defections and the competition will seize this opportunity to offer more incentives to jump from DISH.

Pepper I hate to say I told you so. But read on.........

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060828/tivo_echostar.html?.v=2

Judge Stops EchoStar Suit Against TiVo
Monday August 28, 2:02 pm ET
By David Koenig, AP Business Writer
Judge Stops EchoStar Countersuit Against TiVo As Government Reviews Patent Claims

DALLAS (AP) -- A federal judge has handed the owner of the Dish satellite-TV network another setback in its feud with TiVo Inc., delaying a countersuit against the pioneer in digital video recording technology.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Caroline M. Craven of Texarkana blocked EchoStar Communications Corp.'s patent-infringement lawsuit against TiVo and Humax USA Inc. while the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office reviews patents claimed by EchoStar.

Craven, who issued the stay last month, made it final when EchoStar declined to appeal, TiVo spokesman Elliot Sloane said Monday.

TiVo's revolutionary digital video recorder, or DVR, technology records TV programs without the hassles of videotape, letting users pause live TV, view instant replays and begin watching programs even before the recording has finished.

TiVo sued EchoStar in 2004, and in April a jury in Marshall found that EchoStar had infringed on a TiVo patent in making its own set-top box with DVR capabilities.

This month, the judge who presided over that trial ordered EchoStar to pay $89.6 million in damages -- more than the jury had awarded.

The trial judge, David Folsom, also ordered EchoStar to disable more than 3 million of its DVRs that jurors found used elements of TiVo technology, but a federal appeals court this month delayed Folsom's order while the case is appealed.

EchoStar filed its own lawsuit against TiVo in 2005. TiVo issued a statement Monday saying it was pleased with Craven's decision to delay the countersuit while the government reviews EchoStar's patents. TiVo charges that patent officials failed to review older technology that would make EchoStar's patent claims invalid.

The countersuit had been scheduled for trial early next year.

EchoStar spokeswoman Kathie Gonzalez said Monday the company is "anxious to get to trial because we believe Tivo's DVRs infringe on our technology," but acknowledged it will be a long process. In a regulatory filing, the company said the Patent Office review "could take many years."

TiVo, based in Alviso, Calif., hopes that court victories against EchoStar will give it power to negotiate royalty and license deals with other cable and satellite-TV providers whose customers use DVRs other than TiVo's. Dish is the nation's No. 2 satellite-TV network behind DirecTV.

TiVo shares fell 3 cents, to $7.82, in afternoon trading Monday on the Nasdaq Stock Market, while shares of Englewood, Colo.-based EchoStar increased 57 cents, or 1.8 percent, to $32.27.

Last edited:
chadzx11 said:
I had a problem with billing. The douchebags stopped mailing one. First guy I talked to (india) said all bills went out as normal. Well, that's not right, because they never made it here. Anyway, as a result of all this, the account got behind (I found out when they cut my service off). They wanted $5 to take a payment over the phone (plus the late fees). I paid for it online. I called back in a few hours to get the service restarted, and at that time, everything was supposed to be hunky dory. 2 months later, still no bill, but this time I do get a WTF where's our money reminder email from directv, so I call in again. Same deal $5 for payment over the phone. Pay online. Wait a week (service didn't get cut off this time), call DTV, and this time I get a real live american who speaks english as a first language. She found that someone had turned off my paper bill. She was supposed to have turned it back "on".

There is a $5 PPV phone fee, and a seperate $5 phone payment processing fee, which is probably what your friend bumped up against.

I also found it interesting that Mr India said there were 2 accounts in my name and that one was "in collections", and the American person could not find this mysterious second account.

Had nearly the same thing happen to me with D*. Been E* ever since.

customer non-service

Hi all, I believe it is the nature of the beast! Customer service in many areas frankly sucks! It is not unique to DTV or Dish. I have had DTV since the first day it was available in my area, ( new england) and customer service has been from real bad to real good! I believe that right now they are trying to be the best they can be so they can capitalize on Dish's situation. If you think sat providers have poor customer relations, you should try the cable company!!!
Anyway, I do as much business with DTV online, and ordering ppv with my remote just so I don't have to interact with customer service. A few month ago I had to switch a receiver that got toasted by lightning. I had purchased a used receiver on Fleebay. The CSR was extremely polite, very efficient and made sure that every function of the used machine worked correctly BEFORE hanging up with me. This is in sharp contrast to my interaction with my cable provider ( at my business location) who I contracted with for a 6 month special rate that they charged me full price for after 4 months. 7 calls to their CSR's each lasting a minimum of 35 min, mostly on hold, and never did get resolved. I fired them! They couldn't care less! Well, this has been fun. Guess the fact is it depends on how lucky you are!!

From my experience, You have to call the retention number for everything. They always bend over backwards for me. When problems were the fault of crappy installation techs they would always give me some sort of credit for my troubles. I have had 'slow' customer service with the regular CSR number, never had any with the retention number. They even told me to call the retention number for any future problems. They seem to know more and have more authority than regular CSR;s ???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)