Directv to shift away from Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ATT must maintain UVerse physical media. If they serve outside areas, some other company has the last mile.

ATT must maintain UVerse physical media. If they serve outside areas, some other company has the last mile.
Only way they serve outside thier area is thru D* or cell service, neither of which uses copper wires connected to another service .... is that what you were saying ?

Directvnow uses everyone else's lines and bandwidth outside of ATT's footprint or service, which is what this is about. ATT abandoning the satellites for OTT service.

when streaming services first came out I wasn't worried about cable/satellite dying but after seeing the results from 2017 :eeknot gonna lie it got me a little worried. I still prefer satellite over streaming and pretty much only use my Chromecast for Netflix.

Reactions: edisonprime
Only way they serve outside thier area is thru D* or cell service, neither of which uses copper wires connected to another service .... is that what you were saying ?
So it wont work via Comcast internet?

when streaming services first came out I wasn't worried about cable/satellite dying but after seeing the results from 2017 :eeknot gonna lie it got me a little worried. I still prefer satellite over streaming and pretty much only use my Chromecast for Netflix.
Traditional cable is dying too

Directvnow uses everyone else's lines and bandwidth outside of ATT's footprint or service, which is what this is about. ATT abandoning the satellites for OTT service.

you do realize that over 15% of the country cant do OTT, cant get cable and can only get satellite.
that is the base for directv and dish. sorta a captive audience. many of them get very few OTA channels.

you do realize that over 15% of the country cant do OTT, cant get cable and can only get satellite.
that is the base for directv and dish. sorta a captive audience. many of them get very few OTA channels.

Never said they could. Did you read the entire thread or just take the post out of context? It was in response to the post that att only provided service on their own lines.

As for your comment, att is trying to sell everyone on the idea that forthcoming 5G will solve that problem, whether it does or not, is unknown. You know the people in New York and LA are all that matters to big business, the rest of us don’t exist.

Reactions: reddice

They do not care, they care about the 85% that can, if they did care rural areas would have broadband, great cell service, etc., but it would cost too much to do so.

This is what corporations care about-cutting costs and making money, AT&T is thinking about the day when they no longer have to have installers, build and launch Satellites, design and build STBs and the money saved by doing this and they must think they will get enough subscribers from the 85% that can get good to great broadband.

Reactions: reddice and Pere845
They do not care, they care about the 85% that can, if they did care rural areas would have broadband, great cell service, etc., but it would cost too much to do so.

This is what corporations care about-cutting costs and making money, AT&T is thinking about the day when they no longer have to have installers, build and launch Satellites, design and build STBs and the money saved by doing this and they must think they will get enough subscribers from the 85% that can get good to great broadband.
NEVER happen ...

It may work in a small part of the business, but not as a whole.

For all you guys that are saying that Sat TV is going away .....
No it isn't.

ATT will continue to ADD to what they can do, ala streaming, They will never be 100% streaming and No Sat.

Sat will be here for at least another 10-20 years till something else comes along. Even then, they will ADD to what they can do, not remove.

For all you guys that are saying that Sat TV is going away .....
No it isn't.

ATT will continue to ADD to what they can do, ala streaming, They will never be 100% streaming and No Sat.

Sat will be here for at least another 10-20 years till something else comes along. Even then, they will ADD to what they can do, not remove.
Unless they sell the D* side of things off, which they may do eventually, but no time soon from what I'm hearing.

Reactions: Pere845
cost to upgrade/replace copper lines over the entire us as needed, vs the cost to launch satellites

hhmmmmmmm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts