Directv to shift away from Satellite?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
So? As I keep saying, there's nothing magical about 5G. It doesn't offer any improvements over 4G LTE aside from latency and a lot of millimeter wave spectrum coincidentally opening up around the same time. Someday 6G will come, but that won't mean that existing fixed wireless 5G deployments suddenly stop working, or that people with 5G fixed wireless internet will have any reason whatsoever to upgrade to 6G fixed wireless. There might be some even higher frequencies opening up which will allow them to advertise 50 Gbps with 6G, but in the real world people will still be using maybe a few hundred Mbps at most and have no need of multiple gigabits.

Heck, some early fixed wireless deployments are using LTE, but those will continue working once 5G is getting deployed - but those people would have a reason to upgrade because they'd get vastly improved latency with 5G versus LTE.
the improvement is the placement of the tower..closer to homes..fixed 4g was an abysmal failure..fixed 5g is working great in Boston..there are only so many frequencies available unless you run fiber to the home (yes radio frequencies are transmitted (in the form of light) across a fiber)..wireless transmission has been around a looong time..in fact Tesla tried to broadcast power into homes..but that dag burn interference issue just keeps up popping up its ugly head

Current subscriber numbers are dropping..not increasing..so the cost keeps going up...when enough are moved off satellite the satellites will be too expensive to maintain

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
Where do you think the money came from to buy the wiretless licences.? A good part of it from the income stream dish is squirting out and will continue to do so for many many more years.

And at&t? They bought the DirecTV cash flow and more importantly, the customers (customers are sticky).

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Where do you think the money came from to buy the wiretless licences.? A good part of it from the income stream dish is squirting out and will continue to do so for many many more years.

And at&t? They bought the DirecTV cash flow and more importantly, the customers (customers are sticky).

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!
POTS..as in plain old telephone service

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

(I don't think the 600/700 MHz range is useful for fixed wireless, there just isn't enough of it and frequencies that low are too valuable for mobile devices to waste on fixed wireless)

I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that. I believe it IS the 600/700 MHz range in which T-Mobile plans to offer fixed wireless home internet in rural areas. They have a lot of it now and are deploying it as fast as they can (even offering extra cash to TV stations to repack early and turn over their spectrum ASAP). But their stated plans so far do seem to indicate that it will pretty much only be rural areas where they'll offer that home service. I don't think they're going to "waste" that spectrum on fixed wireless in the metro areas (where most homes already have 2, and sometimes 3, home broadband options). In those denser areas, yes, it's probably better for T-Mo to use that spectrum to better serve mobile customers. Those lower range frequencies penetrate inside buildings quite well and that's historically been one of T-Mo's weaknesses (which is likely why they were the first carrier to aggressively embrace wi-fi calling).

Dish (or whoever buys their licenses) easily has enough spectrum to sell say 100 Mbps service in rural areas, which is more than enough for streaming TV plus other internet needs and more to the point is more than they get now and INFINITELY better than what they get now. GEO satellite internet is not competitive with that at any speed, due to its latency, and wired just isn't an option out there or we wouldn't be talking about how to get internet to rural customers...

Yes, no argument there. (Look, I was never implying that gigabit speed internet is necessary for anyone. I tend to think it's a waste of money for most folks. I'm happy with my 50 Mbps service that never fails to stream 4K HDR at full quality.) So the question isn't what could theoretically be done with the spectrum that Dish owns. The question is whether anyone wants to buy it from them and then develop that spectrum and, if so, how would they use it? It isn't clear that either AT&T or Verizon care to spend the money for it since they didn't do so in the first place when the spectrum was up for auction not that long ago. Now, if T-Mo and Sprint do merge, and keep all of their current spectrum, that does change the competitive landscape, putting the newly merged company ahead of both Verizon and AT&T in total spectrum holdings. So either or both company may feel the need to buy Dish's spectrum to better compete against the New T-Mo in general, regardless of whether Verizon or AT&T would actually use any of that new spectrum for rural fixed wireless. (Perhaps they would just keep it all for mobile use, figuring that rural homes are such a small sliver of the overall market -- about 14% of the US population -- that it wouldn't make sense to compete there against existing landline broadband and T-Mobile fixed wireless, plus other emerging options, including LEO satellite and low-band TV white space spectrum. And perhaps AT&T ends up serving some rural areas with their AirGig tech if the economics make sense.)

As for Dish fully developing that spectrum themselves to become a full-fledged home and/or mobile internet provider, I don't see it. That would take a ton of capital and expertise that they don't have. They're only building out a relatively cheap narrowband IoT network on their spectrum to avoid forfeiting those licenses by the FCC build-out deadline of March 2020. If they were to actually develop their spectrum to its full potential, to be a major B2C service, they would need a major partner with deep pockets. You're probably talking about a merger or acquisition at that point.

So, in my view, buying Dish stock right now is a pretty risky proposition. It isn't at all clear that Ergen's bet on that spectrum is going to save the company from a long, slow decline.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that. I believe it IS the 600/700 MHz range in which T-Mobile plans to offer fixed wireless home internet in rural areas. They have a lot of it now and are deploying it as fast as they can (even offering extra cash to TV stations to repack early and turn over their spectrum ASAP). But their stated plans so far do seem to indicate that it will pretty much only be rural areas where they'll offer that home service.

T-Mobile is doing their own thing, and they bought a bunch of 600 MHz spectrum so it probably makes sense for them to use it. I think AT&T or Verizon would have too many customers even in most rural areas to do fixed wireless with such large cells, but it may work for T-Mobile.

It isn't so much that it is impossible to do it with such a low frequency / large cells, it just limits the number of customers per cell. The MIMO stuff that lets you use multiple antennas doesn't work as well with lower frequencies (i.e. they are less directional) and AT&T and Verizon will want to reserve the valuable lower frequency areas for phones due to its ability to reach indoors.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts