DirecTV to Xfinity X1 - Anything I should know?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RocketFoot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Southwestern PA
Hi guys, I just ordered up Comcast Triple Play with X1 DVR. I currently have Comcast Voice and Internet but use DirecTV Genie DVR system. The price for both services is getting out of hand so I decided to combine everything into the triple play for 12 month price lock, no contract! I am getting an X1 with 2 additional rooms.

So, how is the X1 compared to the Genie? I love the Genie system...I don't even know how many shows I can record at one time because I have never had any conflicting issues! I'm hoping the X1 is as flexible!

Are all the X1's coming with the microphone remote or do you have to request it? That is something I really want to check out!

Can you set recordings on the X1 with a cell phone app like DirecTV? This is kind of important to me as well...

Can you set recordings on the X1 with a cell phone app like DirecTV? This is kind of important to me as well...

I've never subbed to DirecTV so I can' help with that but the Xfinity TV Remote app has guide info as well as access to the DVR. You can schedule recordings from the guide remotely, I use it all the time.

Sorry to see you go.

All I can say is that when we had an Xfinity technician come out to run our line from the pedestal to the demarcation point at the house for HSI (High-Speed Internet), even he told us that we definitely needed to stick with DirecTV for video. He mentioned that Comcast does not move on pricing or deals for existing customers.

I also know that when I call up to DirecTV for any sort of issue, they have always provided some sort of resolution to my issues -- even if it meant either a one-time credit or multi-month credit (I guess it helps having been a customer for well over ten years).

Frankly, it would probably have been better for you to do this research prior to switching. In my opinion, the Genie DVR setup is one of the best (if not the best) piece of hardware/architectures/topologies (with SWiM) on the market today. Based on conversations on this forum, only OTA HD could beat the compression that DirecTV has for HD channels. I really can't say enough good about the Genie DVR nor the Genie wireless mini receivers.

As far as we're concerned, the only device that will be potentially better is the upcoming AppleTV and, hopefully, the subsequent subscription service that is rumored to be coming early 2016.

Installation is scheduled for Sept 26th so I still have a little time to cancel if needed. I do like the Genie, I have the HR44 as well, but the savings would be fairly substantial to switch. I am really split 50/50 on wanting to switch but the no contract deal makes it easier to give it a try...If I don't like X1, I can switch back to DirecTV!

If X1 is pretty comparable to The Genie and Dish, I will probably be happy. My other option is to drop one room of Genie service that we really don't need and also see what retention offer they make. If I can save some money, I will be happy to keep DirecTV.

Installation is scheduled for Sept 26th so I still have a little time to cancel if needed. I do like the Genie, I have the HR44 as well, but the savings would be fairly substantial to switch. I am really split 50/50 on wanting to switch but the no contract deal makes it easier to give it a try...If I don't like X1, I can switch back to DirecTV!
Remember you can suspend your DIRECTV account while you try out Comcast, then if you like it then call and cancel, if not then just unsuspend.

Reactions: harshness
I wonder if all new installs get a 6 tuner and not one of the old ones that hasn't been unlocked yet? Also, do the new voice remotes come standard with new installs?

I do not know the answer to either. Mine was installed February of 2014, the voice remote was not available then. My neighbor across the street had his installed in May of this year and he has the voice remote. I'm pretty sure he would not have paid extra for one.

I'm out of town today or I would check to see if my X1 has been upgraded.

I do not know the answer to either. Mine was installed February of 2014, the voice remote was not available then. My neighbor across the street had his installed in May of this year and he has the voice remote. I'm pretty sure he would not have paid extra for one.

I'm out of town today or I would check to see if my X1 has been upgraded.
I did read somewhere that you can request a voice remote free of charge...I'll link it if I can find the article again!

I had the X1 at one time and loved it, except for the bugs. But that was 1 year ago so I'm pretty sure the X1 has got a lot of the bugs worked out. Also I thought it was comparable to the Dish VIP receivers, just I had 4 tuners, not 5 or 6.

Hi guys, I just ordered up Comcast Triple Play with X1 DVR. I currently have Comcast Voice and Internet but use DirecTV Genie DVR system. The price for both services is getting out of hand so I decided to combine everything into the triple play for 12 month price lock, no contract! I am getting an X1 with 2 additional rooms.

So, how is the X1 compared to the Genie? I love the Genie system...I don't even know how many shows I can record at one time because I have never had any conflicting issues! I'm hoping the X1 is as flexible!

Are all the X1's coming with the microphone remote or do you have to request it? That is something I really want to check out!

I'm looking at making a similar move but the Comcast equipment costs to support HD on 4 TVs pushed the total I would be paying to about what I pay now, maybe more. I started looking at the TiVo Roamio Plus (CableCard) with 3 minis that would take the place of the X1 gear. Granted there is a hefty up front cost for TiVo gear (especially if you go the "lifetime" route), but if I break it out over 2 years, I estimate I would still save about $40/month over what I'm paying now for DirecTV and Comcast Blast Internet. I have not pulled the trigger yet but probably will soon - still trying to figure out what to do with all my wife's shows she has recorded on the HR24s.

For phone, consider moving to Ooma - service has been great and I estimate I recovered the up front cost in about 4 months.

Yeah, this is a tough choice! I love my DIRECTV but it does go out often in my area (snow, heavy rain, random digital archiving) it annoys my wife to no end, LOL! She is all for switching to Comcast but I am estimating that the savings will be about $30 per month. Not stellar but $30 save is $30 in my pocket!

I just talked to Xfinity and they said I am getting an X21 DVR with XR11 Voice Remote...I can't find any info on this X21 DVR? They did say it is 6 tuners though. I wish I could find the full specs on the DVR however!

Last edited:
Anyone here familiar with the xfinity flex device? I was offered one free with my xfinity internet. Specifically are the hidden charges for the service?

No it’s actually free. It’s pretty nice and has a voice remote I think that they are throwing in the peacock service with it . Give it a try if you don’t like it return it for free.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: joewhite57
No it’s actually free. It’s pretty nice and has a voice remote I think that they are throwing in the peacock service with it . Give it a try if you don’t like it return it for free.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Thx for the response. I had decide to give it a try and put it on our bedroom tv to give the wife access to xfinity especially during watchathons. I got a 4K firestick to sideload the app but way to big a pain for my other half to operate. Xfinity storefront keeps coming up unavailable. They must be getting hammered.

The only beef I have with the Flex box is that it comes with the voice remote. The directional buttons (itty bitty wedges of rubber spaced quite widely apart, actually) and I just don't get along. The transport buttons aren't where I like them either but that's probably just me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts