DirecTV trying to charge me $99 to install 2nd HD-DVR (I've already got 1 HD-DVR).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdbrad

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
Here's the deal. I've had the 5lnb dish and one HD-DVR (all from DirecTV) for about 9 months or so. I'm taking delivery of a new plasma for my bedroom on Friday and called DirecTV today to add another HD-DVR. Here is what I was told:

They can ship me out a HD receiver (no DVR) for 19.95 (shipping costs) and I can just swap out the boxes. But, if I want an additional HD-DVR they are offering me the unit for $99.00 (with a two year agreement) PLUS an install fee of $99.00 to "run a second line from the dish" (plus shipping costs of course). Is the "second line" thing on the up and up or am I getting my chain yanked? The customer service rep said the "second line" had to do with being able to watch one program while recording another.

Please help with advice. Thanks!!

All DirecTV DVRs require two lines since they have two tuners. If you don't have two lines running to your room you will either need to do it yourself or pay them to do it.

All DirecTV DVRs require two lines since they have two tuners. If you don't have two lines running to your room you will either need to do it yourself or pay them to do it.

I'm a total rookie so please have patience with me. When you say "two lines".....are we talking "two lines" from the dish to the outlet in the wall? This has nothing to do with phone lines........correct?

Thanks!

simple answer is, yes you need 2 coax lines to each DVR. This allows you to watch one show while recording another. It also allows you to record two different shows at once on that DVR. It is not a requirement of course but, if you only have 1 line, you will have to watch whatever you are recording at that time and can only record one show at a time.

A telephone line is not required at all for the setup to work. It is suggested to get PPV and sports packatges but, again not required as you can do a lot online at directv.com.

You need two Coax lines? What? Why not just split one Coax? Or get the signal from one Coax and split it inside the box like any regular Cable box? Does the DirecTV signal differ from a standard cable coaxial setup?

I'm confused now. I've got every room wired with one coaxial cable which seems to be perfectly fine for a cable or UVerse setup, but now I need two separate lines run down the wall for a DirecTV setup? That makes no sense to me. They can't send two channels over one coaxial line, but cable can run hundreds of channels on that coax line?

They can send multiple signals on the same coax, but it requires a single wire multiswitch or one of the new dishes with this built in. These are both new and typically reserved for new installations at this time. You can purchase and install your own, however. There are several discussion threads for the SWM. Since the same frequencies are used for multiple satellites, a simple splitter will not work unless the SWM is used. The HD DVRs do not require a splitter when used with the SWM.

You need two Coax lines? What? Why not just split one Coax? Or get the signal from one Coax and split it inside the box like any regular Cable box? Does the DirecTV signal differ from a standard cable coaxial setup?

I'm confused now. I've got every room wired with one coaxial cable which seems to be perfectly fine for a cable or UVerse setup, but now I need two separate lines run down the wall for a DirecTV setup? That makes no sense to me. They can't send two channels over one coaxial line, but cable can run hundreds of channels on that coax line?

Each DVR need either two individual pieces of coax from the dish or multi switch, depending on the total number of receivers in the home.

The other option is a SWM, which is not currently available in all areas....

run the cable yourself and there will be no additional charge. Or buy a swm module which will cost you a small fortune. The 100 dollar figure for the 2nd line sounds correct.

Because the DirecTV receivers send signals back up to the dish assembly to handle tuning the signals. If you wish to purchase an SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch), you can run one line to each location. SWM support is limited to specific models.

EDIT: I obviously have no idea what an SWM costs.

Cable and satellite are apples and oranges and the only thing that both have in common at your end is the coax. With cable tv all of the channels you get are already modulated down at the local station and sent down the miles and miles of telephone poles or underground casing to your tv wich will view one to however many pips it can. With satellite all the channels come down to your house from space unmodulated and encrypted wich is why you need a satellite receiver to modulate and decrypt each channel one at a time for you to view on your television set. In your case you've orderd and hd dvr wich has a second tuner built in and it requires a second line for that additional tuner to be able to function properly. Earlier this year direct decided to stop dragging feet and got on the bandwaggon that dish network started several years ago and went with a technology to in simple terms clone a signal from a single coax to split it apart behind the box. This isnt as simple as going to radio shack and buying a splitter as the two are entirely diferent.

The $99 for the receiver is on the money and the same goes for the two hours of labour to run the line though if your wanting it run inside an interior wall there will most likely be an additional fee for the wall fish and you can forget about having it run down the inside of an exterior wall as wallfishing in an insulated wall is comparable to pulling teeth with chopsticks. In your case I'd have it done as you spent a nice wad of cash on the new plasma so the cost of having a second coax ran to your bedroom shouldnt be a problem.

Here's the deal. I've had the 5lnb dish and one HD-DVR (all from DirecTV) for about 9 months or so. I'm taking delivery of a new plasma for my bedroom on Friday and called DirecTV today to add another HD-DVR. Here is what I was told:

They can ship me out a HD receiver (no DVR) for 19.95 (shipping costs) and I can just swap out the boxes. But, if I want an additional HD-DVR they are offering me the unit for $99.00 (with a two year agreement) PLUS an install fee of $99.00 to "run a second line from the dish" (plus shipping costs of course). Is the "second line" thing on the up and up or am I getting my chain yanked? The customer service rep said the "second line" had to do with being able to watch one program while recording another.

Please help with advice. Thanks!!

Funny how if you would have had her installed with the second HD-DVR you would not have paid for the install. However, 9 months ago you would have paid more than $99 for the second receiver. So there is a trade off.

I paid $299 for 2 HD DVRs in April or May when I first signed up with DirecTV. It was $99 for the first box and $200 for the second. So you are paying $99 now for what I paid $101 more for in the spring. Add in the install fee and maybe that eats up $101.

They are allowed to change their price. Heck, if I was a new signup today I would get a much better deal on my monthly. I'd sign up for Sunday Ticket and get 3 months free of Premiere. So I'd be paying the same as I do now and be getting Sunday Ticket for almost nothing. But I didn't know what kind of deal they'd be running if I waited a few months. Just like a new sign up today doesn't know what kind of deal is around the corner and you didn't know what kind of deals were coming when you signed up 9 months ago.

I work in the computer field. I see the prices fall and the technology go up almost daily. "I should have waited. I feel cheated that they lowered the price!"

It sucks... but what can you do. Just pay it and be happy the price has come down from what it would have been had you got two HD-DVRs 9 months ago.

I hate that the SWM can only support 8 tuners. I'd like to get a HD DVR for my bedroom to replace my H20. I need 9 tuners so I guess I need to upgrade my 6x8 Zinwell switch for the 6X16 model.

To the OP,

Don't feel too bad, I paid $199.00 to upgrade my Tivo. Luckily I had two coax runs to the room and didn't have to have that installed.

However even as a longtime (10+ yrs) sub, I must pay and pay and pay.

To me it's worth it, I can't stand going out to the theatres anymore. TV and DVD's for me.

Incorrect - they do not "require" two lines.

If you want to be able to record two programs at once (or watch one live while recording another), then you will need two lines or the SWM setup. But if you don't care to watch or record more than one program at a time, one line is sufficient. I only have one line running to my bedroom HR21, and it works fine (to watch a single live program).

So if you have a line to that room already (you didn't say whether you already had a receiver in that room, unless I overlooked it), it will work fine. But if you want to be able to utilize a second tuner for live programming, you will indeed need a second line. If you don't have a line to that room at all, obviously someone will have to run that line.

Scottie to operate properly as designed they do require two lines but if you want to have it operate half assed then you can go the single coax route.

Incorrect - they do not "require" two lines.

If you want to be able to record two programs at once (or watch one live while recording another), then you will need two lines or the SWM setup. But if you don't care to watch or record more than one program at a time, one line is sufficient. I only have one line running to my bedroom HR21, and it works fine (to watch a single live program).

So if you have a line to that room already (you didn't say whether you already had a receiver in that room, unless I overlooked it), it will work fine. But if you want to be able to utilize a second tuner for live programming, you will indeed need a second line. If you don't have a line to that room at all, obviously someone will have to run that line.

I currently have a SD receiver (no DVR) in the bedroom. Being that this would be my secondary viewing room.............recording one program at a time (and/or having to watch what I'm recording) would be fine with me. Does my setup sound as if it will work fine with a HD-DVR.........with only one line in the room?

I'm the original poster....................I just called back to add the HD DRV (rather than the HD receiver). The customer service rep put the order through and told me that the HD DVR order was put in and "professional installation (including a 2nd line) is included at no extra charge". Total cost for HD-DVR, install, tax and shipping is $128.00.

Why I seem to always get different stories/deals from different agents is amazing.

I own an HR10-250. So far it has gotten me and HR20-100 (for shipping cost) and an HR21-100 for free, about a year apart. As well as a Zinwell WB68 for free. I just keep activating it back on the account in a different room a few months after D* upgrades it and then D* upgrades it again a few months after that.:D Of course I run my own cables. If I ever had to pay a dime upfront to lease this stuff I would have been gone in a flash. No way will I ever pay anyone a dime for the right to have their box in my home so that they can sell me programing and charge me monthly for that box as well. IMO, with all due respect only a knucklehead would do that. But before anyone jumps on me I am also someone who has never ordered a PPV in his 44 years on this planet. I believe we are called "tight wads".

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)