DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It is very likely that Apple or Amazon wouldn't be able to break even on it. —-

The value to the corporation is that it makes their streaming service viable and matter. In that case, it makes it more valuable to Apple than Amazon. Amazon is already an online monster. Apple is trying to be something bigger.
This is correct. Just like DirecTV, this product will be a “loss leader”, designed to get people to subscribe to the predicate service That is what I have been saying all along. Understand just how unprofitable and unstable streaming is (only Netflix and Hulu have ever made a cent). Showtime streaming just went bust. CNN+ lasted about four seconds.

The sad thing for me is, 90% of what I watch is sports. There are not a dozen shows that are good enough for me to watch. IF, and I understand this never will happen, they really would sell me the linear ESPNs, Foxes, et al I would be just fine with that. But, the future is going to be one where a true sports fan will need 4 to 6 streaming services, chock full of unwanted melodramas, plus linear TV, plus the OTA networks.

A la carte is anti consumer.

This is correct. Just like DirecTV, this product will be a “loss leader”, designed to get people to subscribe to the predicate service That is what I have been saying all along. Understand just how unprofitable and unstable streaming is (only Netflix and Hulu have ever made a cent). Showtime streaming just went bust. CNN+ lasted about four seconds.
Except I doubt they can make up that difference. It isn't a "loss leader", it is a "loss". But it also puts Apple+ on the map as a serious streaming entity.
The sad thing for me is, 90% of what I watch is sports. There are not a dozen shows that are good enough for me to watch. IF, and I understand this never will happen, they really would sell me the linear ESPNs, Foxes, et al I would be just fine with that. But, the future is going to be one where a true sports fan will need 4 to 6 streaming services, chock full of unwanted melodramas, plus linear TV, plus the OTA networks.

A la carte is anti consumer.
A la carte is great for the discriminating and adjustable consumer. Besides, your sports (everyone's sports for that matter) were being subsidized by the non-sport watchers for decades. Champions League moved to Paramount+ (and their delay for on demand access is awful), so despite Liverpool being in the Champions League, I just don't watch it. I am tired of being a linear subscriber, watching the rates go up and the content become fragmented and headed elsewhere. Peacock is one of the only services where they've actually expanded access, instead of fragment access to sports content.

For me, Peacock, Willow, and NFL+. Each service providing something that wasn't (or was never) available. Fragmented sports access? I can live without.

View: https://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano/status/1570081044782813186

1663171788216.png

A la carte is great for the discriminating and adjustable consumer. Besides, your sports (everyone's sports for that matter) were being subsidized by the non-sport watchers for decades. Champions League moved to Paramount+ (and their delay for on demand access is awful), so despite Liverpool being in the Champions League, I just don't watch it. I am tired of being a linear subscriber, watching the rates go up and the content become fragmented and headed elsewhere. Peacock is one of the only services where they've actually expanded access, instead of fragment access to sports content.
Now Thats funny and ironic I watch mostly sports and I have paid for kids programming, and craptastic BS cable channels for years.Isn't it how you look at the glass of water?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Tony
Except I doubt they can make up that difference. It isn't a "loss leader", it is a "loss". But it also puts Apple+ on the map as a serious streaming entity.

For me, Peacock, Willow, and NFL+. Each service providing something that wasn't (or was never) available. Fragmented sports access? I can live without.
You do know that ps4 already streams sunday ticket...and it certainly did not put ps4 on the map as a serious streamer..

Reactions: SamCdbs
Now Thats funny and ironic I watch mostly sports and I have paid for kids programming, and craptastic BS cable channels for year.Isn't it how you look at the glass of water?
That stuff is cheaper. What was Sinclair hoping to get for the local channel with its standalone Local Sports network service, $20?

• Haha
Reactions: AZ.
You do know that ps4 already streams sunday ticket...and it certainly did not put ps4 on the map as a serious streamer..
Because the majority of the population still could not get it on the PS4, it was only for tho who can not get Direct tv at your house, only for those in Multi-dwellings ( Apartments and Dorms are 2 examples, or those few houses that could not get DirecTV.

Because the majority of the population still could not get it on the PS4, it was only for tho who can not get Direct tv at your house, only for those in Multi-dwellings ( Apartments and Dorms are 2 examples, or those few houses that could not get DirecTV.
The vast majority of the population could care less about sunday ticket..its a very niche product..mainly for sports bars and such..its a nice extra from directv but its just that..an extra not a must have for $300+

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
Nobody else streams sunday ticket
I guess you didn't realize that amazon found out they can't stream TNF into bars and restaraunt...
Nobody watches Sunday Ticket in 8K resolution. Nobody watches Sunday Ticket games live on Tuesday. Sunday Ticket isn't soluble in acetate. No one has ever been "out for a duck" on Sunday Ticket.

Any other irrelevant statements you want to raise? Or is this a Red Herring Bake?

The vast majority of the population could care less about sunday ticket..its a very niche product..mainly for sports bars and such..its a nice extra from directv but its just that..an extra not a must have for $300+
They do not need the vast majority of the population to care about about Sunday Ticket, how about the 28% of NFL Fans in that survey that said they would subscribe to ST even at $300.

Based on meStevo’s posts that said 121 million watched last week’s games, that is roughly 33 million fans, so times $300 is $9.9 Billion.

And again, which gets ignored by you, I believe it will be closer to 10% of fans, roughly 12 million times $300, which is $3.6 Billion a year.

So instead of trying to avoid the subject and bring up more stupid things in this thread, how many do you think will subscribe once it is available to 85% of the population, 108 million vs 2 million of 10 million DirecTV subscribers, which is only, roughly, 10% of the population.

Nobody watches Sunday Ticket in 8K resolution. Nobody watches Sunday Ticket games live on Tuesday. Sunday Ticket isn't soluble in acetate. No one has ever been "out for a duck" on Sunday Ticket.

Any other irrelevant statements you want to raise? Or is this a Red Herring Bake?
Blah blah blah

They do not need the vast majority of the population to care about about Sunday Ticket, how about the 28% of NFL Fans in that survey that said they would subscribe to ST even at $300.

Based on meStevo’s posts that said 121 million watched last week’s games, that is roughly 33 million fans, so times $300 is $9.9 Billion.

And again, which gets ignored by you, I believe it will be closer to 10% of fans, roughly 12 million times $300, which is $3.6 Billion a year.

So instead of trying to avoid the subject and bring up more stupid things in this thread, how many do you think will subscribe once it is available to 85% of the population, 108 million vs 2 million of 10 million DirecTV subscribers, which is only, roughly, 10% of the population.
There are only 2 million subs

Reactions: SamCdbs

Yup, and all before ancillaries and other brand value is taken into account. Take TNF for example:

The brand value of having the NFL on their service... the #4 most visited site in the US looks like this right now:

1663192531145.png

Alternative broadcasts... product placement...

1663192572164.png

All this and their own pre-game show...

1663192637921.png

A bit more than "2 minutes" of advertising opportunities.

There are only 2 million subs
Again, only on DirecTV, a service that is only in 10 million households ( and getting less every quarter) vs. in a year, being available to 108 million households ( and growing as broadband becomes more available).

Noticed you did not answer the question.

Here it is again-

How many do you think will subscribe to ST once it is available to 85% of the population?

I wonder how many business subscribers directv gained by being the exclusive TNF provider in bars and restaraunts

Status
Please reply by conversation.