DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
BTW, ESPN+ is SOLD via DirecTV for businesses. You still need the internet to get it. DirecTV didn't quadruple its capacity to sell a niche product to a few bars.
But you said this-

Millions of bar and restaurants and such, the CORE target for ST, have no need of video quality internet.
All sci-fi respect to Star Link, which like self-driving “carbon neutral” electric cars that are affordable, really doesn’t exist, millions of businesses neither have, nor need, internet. What use does a neighborhood bar have of internet?
By the way, I do not believe you need DirecTV for ESPN+

If true, both Amazon and Disney can then handle Commercial Accounts, Apple is the only one that needs DirecTV to handle them for NFLST.

But you said this-

Yeah, these two things are not contradictory.

MOST local bars will be fine without video quality internet. Others will simply use a home account. You do realize there are MILLIONS of bars, cigar lounges, restaurants, etc. Different places will conduct themselves different.
OK, I'm still right.

ESPN+ PPVs and some events show up on 4 number channels for business accounts only. BUT the vast majority of events (note, even the "gotcha" link says "up to 100", while ESPN+ has many times that) are only on the internet.

Look, sorry, but saying "well if you like sports then there is ESPN+" is just silly. Its like the wife asking to go the next Tom Hanks movie and buying her a VHS of Bosom Buddies. Just not the same.

Streaming is nice, if you like the one form of show that 90% of streaming is. But life is way too short to do without the rich content that linear TV provides. And coming up with "well, I don't miss meat that much" lines doesn't change that.

Streaming is nice, if you like the one form of show that 90% of streaming is. But life is way too short to do without the rich content that linear TV provides. And coming up with "well, I don't miss meat that much" lines doesn't change that.
You keep saying that but ignoring the fact that all shows ( content) that linear TV provides are also on the streaming services at before /same/day after timeframe, also in much better picture/sound quality, then you get all the extra shows that are only on the streaming services, so which then has the better value.

The weak part as far as content goes is sports, but as I showed in this thread, gets very low ratings unless it is Football.

That is now changing, RSNs, some, are about to go streaming, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc, things are evolving as Television has for the last 80 years.

And I give it at about 5 years at the most before ESPN+ starts showing regular ESPN content, at a higher price of course.

But you said this-

If true, both Amazon and Disney can then handle Commercial Accounts, Apple is the only one that needs DirecTV to handle them for NFLST.
But will they make a profit?..directv sells a bundle..not stand alone ESPN+ or sunday ticket

Espn + SMB example

On tue March 1. Toledo v Buffalo is showing on ch 9524. This is a espn+ game for regular residential users

Same with Kansas v TCU ch 9522

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

But you said this-

If you read further down that espn business site under " marketing rep ... "

MARKETING REPRESENTATIVE

ESPN+ for Business is accessed solely through DirecTV. ...

Also

What is ESPN+ for Business?
ESPN+ for Business is our subscription offering for commercial businesses, such as bars, restaurants, and other out-of-home locations. It includes a specific lineup of live events tailored to attract customers to your business and excite fans. ESPN+ for Business is accessed solely through DirecTV.

Can I use my personal ESPN+ account for my business instead?
No. You are not permitted to use your personal account to show ESPN+ at your place of business or in any other public space. The ESPN+ Subscriber Agreement allows for personal, non-commercial use only.

Espn + SMB example

On tue March 1. Toledo v Buffalo is showing on ch 9524. This is a espn+ game for regular residential users

Same with Kansas v TCU ch 9522

It good they are showing these, they would get such low ratings on any regular channel because they are so local.

Also on the same night, 9 NHL Games which would get a bigger audienc.

If there is a MLB Season, games will be on ESPN+ nightly, how many per night I have no idea.

For MLB and NBA NHL etc business/bars/restaurants have the league passes

Reactions: SamCdbs
If you read further down that espn business site under " marketing rep ... "

MARKETING REPRESENTATIVE

ESPN+ for Business is accessed solely through DirecTV. ...

Also

What is ESPN+ for Business?
ESPN+ for Business is our subscription offering for commercial businesses, such as bars, restaurants, and other out-of-home locations. It includes a specific lineup of live events tailored to attract customers to your business and excite fans. ESPN+ for Business is accessed solely through DirecTV.

Confusing web page, because up top there is no mention of DirecTV, just a license needed for ESPN+

An ESPN+ for Business commercial license is required for distribution of ESPN+ in all public and commercial venues, including restaurants, bars, etc. Commercial licenses will not include all content otherwise available on ESPN+ for personal use, and programming will be subject to change. Available only in the United States and on certain distribution platforms. Contact our commercial distributor, Joe Hand Promotions, at the number above for rates and terms.

In summary business bars restaurants etc... of they want to show sports they already have directv

This is why the commercial/business side is important ...

So anyways...

Reactions: SamCdbs
So if it's still off the internet, how do they port it to 10 TVs?
ESPN+ for Business is satellite only, no streaming allowed.

Only certain events are eligible for business use. NHL is only the ESPN+ exclusive games, the out of market package is a different product (Center Ice) same for all the out of market MLS.

Is the event schedule available for businesses via DirecTV.

Peacock is streaming for businesses, it is called NBC Pub Pass and is an different app for Fire TV Home has more information if anyone is interested.

Not sure what Paramount + does, not sure if they even sell to Bars, it is definitely against the terms to stream using an residential account but I am sure places do it. However if someone rats them out they could be in some serious legal trouble. The NBC Pub Pass even has a link on the front page "Fair Play" saying they add a logo to the commercial feed and send 3rd party people to verify and they will sue you if you get caught. Not a game I would want to play lol

Reactions: dtv757
While true, I wonder how many establishments do it anyways.

At the gym I used to go to in Michigan, they had Roku Sticks hooked up to each TV (5), all showing Live TV via TV everywhere apps, one had CNN go, one had Watch ESPN, etc.

I assume the owner was using his log in from his home account.

There are always going to be business owners who break the law, either knowingly or not. When they get caught they often end up closing down, so it isn't a very good long term strategy.

A gym may fly under the radar more easily than a sports bar unless one of the customers reports them.

ESPN+ for Business is satellite only, no streaming allowed.

Only certain events are eligible for business use. NHL is only the ESPN+ exclusive games, the out of market package is a different product (Center Ice) same for all the out of market MLS.

Is the event schedule available for businesses via DirecTV.
Business customers are getting ripped off, I assume they pay a lot extra, Tuesday Nite, they get 1 NHL Game, for my $6.99, I get 9 to choose from the same night.

Can I use my personal ESPN+ account for my business instead?

No. You are not permitted to use your personal account to show ESPN+ at your place of business or in any other public space. The ESPN+ Subscriber Agreement allows for personal, non-commercial use only.

Can we end this business debate . Bottom like is they use directv and have to pay per FCO (seating capacity)

Last edited:
Anyway, back on topic....

It appears likely that Sunday Ticket will move exclusively to a streaming service in 2023, as several sources have described Apple and Amazon as the front-runners to get the NFL’s out-of-market package.

Disney has not ended its negotiations for the package, which it would run on ESPN+, though the amount that Disney has told the NFL it will pay is said to be well below the amount Apple and Amazon have discussed.

Because negotiations are ongoing, it’s difficult to determine exactly where the bids are, but sources said it’s likely that the NFL will get more than $2 billion per year for Sunday Ticket.

Sports Media: Sources: Apple, Amazon front-runners for Sunday Ticket

Question, how likely is it that there will be streaming by whoever gets it(Apple, Amazon, Disney), and also TV via DirecTV? I have bad internet here, slow, despite what I pay for it, goes out all the time, I don't plan on going streaming only, so hoping NFLST stays on TV + streaming provider(again Apple, Amazon, Disney).

Question, how likely is it that there will be streaming by whoever gets it(Apple, Amazon, Disney), and also TV via DirecTV? I have bad internet here, slow, despite what I pay for it, goes out all the time, I don't plan on going streaming only, so hoping NFLST stays on TV + streaming provider(again Apple, Amazon, Disney).
Remember, it will be on Directv this next year ...
What your proposing, is what I've been hoping for all along, but from what I have heard and read, it really doesn't sound like that will happen ... then again, that doesn't have to be confirmed till next year.

Same here my internet is a POS

I hope in some way shape or form NFL ST will still be an option for directv residential customers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.