DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I guess that I am not going to have Sunday Ticket after this deal is done. I refuse to continue to be forced into buying all these streaming channels. Ultimately, it will be more expensive then Directv or cable. Trying to force it on us just like they are rying to forced us to buy electric cars. Batteries do not produce energy they only store it. You will still rely on fossil fuels to produce the energy to charge them.
What exactly are you thinking you will be forced into buying? Seriously, stop listening to doomsayers and pay attention to facts...all of which have yet to be released.

We have had 2 years to prepare for the day when the deal was done for NFLST to go to a streaming service( one day late for the Fall Deadline).

Now, instead of being mad at DirecTV for not bidding on it, we have certain members here making up reasons why this is bad and really dialing up the crazy.

This is what we know, it looks like ST is going to Google/YouTube.

That is it, no pricing, no availability, no nothing.

I guess that I am not going to have Sunday Ticket after this deal is done. I refuse to continue to be forced into buying all these streaming channels.
Who is forcing you?

From my posts, people here know I am extremely happy streaming, but no one is forcing me to get Discovery+, so I don’t.

But if I had a service like DirecTV, I would be forced to get channels like Food Network, Bravo, too many more to mention and having to pay that per sub fee for channels I would never watch.
Ultimately, it will be more expensive than Directv or cable.
I get the vast majority of content from Traditional Providers on Steaming Services and pay far less-

Paramount+ with Showtime-$129 (all Viacom/CBS Programing)
Peacock-$50( all Universal/NBC)
AMC+-$30
Hulu with Disney+ and ESPN+-$240(all ABC/Fox/Nat Geo/Disney)
HBO-$149
Netflix-$240
OTA-Free
ABC/CBS/NBC News apps-free
Pluto/Tubi/etc-free

So a yearly total of $838, divide by 12=$69.83 a month.

The average price for DirecTV with the new price increase-$145 a month

Trying to force it on us just like they are rying to forced us to buy electric cars.
I love my Mach E, saves me money not paying for gas and not wasting time buying gas.
Batteries do not produce energy they only store it. You will still rely on fossil fuels to produce the energy to charge them.
Learn something everyday.

So... this is a very active discussion right now. And other then for Commercial Access of the NFL Sunday Ticket, DIRECTV is out of the picture now.

Apple was in the lead according to all indications and then dropped out when it appears the NFL did not want Apple giving it away for little to no cost on their Apple TV platform,
So now that leaves Amazon and a recent newcomer Google to the bidding war.

Since DIRECTV Residental is out of the picture should we move this topic to our IPTV forum since it appears this is where the Sunday Ticket is headed? Or since the topic started here should it stay here?

Let me know your thoughts. :)

So... this is a very active discussion right now. And other then for Commercial Access of the NFL Sunday Ticket, DIRECTV is out of the picture now.

Apple was in the lead according to all indications and then dropped out when it appears the NFL did not want Apple giving it away for little to no cost on their Apple TV platform,

Since DIRECTV Residental is out of the picture should we move this topic to our IPTV forum since it appears this is where the Sunday Ticket is headed? Or since the topic started here should it stay here?

It should stay until the end of the season, while it is still on DirecTV.

By then we should have more information on what Google plans on doing and then start a new thread in the magical Cord Cutters area of this site.

I'd say when there's an official announcement of the deal lock this and open a new thread in IPTV.

Instead of thinking of what you'll be forced to buy to get Sunday Ticket (which I believe will be absolutely nothing) think of the promotional opportunities Google will have. There could be deals where you buy ST and get three months of YTTV for half price or six months of Showtime for free.

Will that happen? I have no idea, but I can't believe that Google's doing this thinking of it as a goldmine on its own. That said, at $300 for the season even if they pay $2.5 billion, they'd only need 8.3 million subs to break even. Yes, that's far above the sub number for Directv, but the pool of potential subs is exponentially higher.

Lets do basic math

Directv paid 1.5 billion

Google will pay 2.5 billion

It won't be $300 with google..probably closer to $500

Directv could give it free with $ 200 sub

Youtube tv only charges $60 so it won't be free

I don't see it as cheaper
Correct.

And Google will still lose money.

YTTV is trying to do exactly what everyone who understands this business knew was out there. Grow its linear TV business by predication. The only difference is DirecTV always has been the top TV service. Expensive, but worth it. Every discussion of YTTV on any board starts with the same thing, “I saved…”.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
Correct.

YTTV is trying to do exactly what everyone who understands this business knew was out there. Grow its linear TV business by predication. The only difference is DirecTV always has been the top TV service. Expensive, but worth it. Every discussion of YTTV on any board starts with the same thing, “I saved…”.

Almost every word your opinion, and much of it disproven (or remains to be seen) in this thread a number of times. No idea why you keep repeating it.

• Wow
Reactions: Jimbo
How can you say correct, no one knows anything yet.
Same answer, let us see the details first.
YTTV is trying to do exactly what everyone who understands this business knew was out there. Grow its linear TV business by predication. The only difference is DirecTV always has been the top TV service.
DirecTV has never been the top TV Service, Comcast was and still doing better then DirecTV.

Comcast at it’s highest for video subs-23.99 Million Q2 2016

DirecTV 21.01 million Q1 2017

Pretty good for a service that is regional vs a luxury nationwide service.

Expensive, but worth it.
Specially for those that share it with their landlord and pay only $65 for it.
Every discussion of YTTV on any board starts with the same thing, “I saved…”.
And yet they are gaining subs, even without a RSN, unlike DirecTV which has lost about 12 million subscribers and continues to lose 400-500,000 every quarter.

By the way, all Traditional Providers were in the negative for the 3rd Quarter, yet the OTT Live TV Services gained-

Notice something about my posts, I provide links and Proof for the information I provide.

• Haha
Reactions: Juan and meStevo
By the way, since both lost out, I can see Amazon and Apple making a play for the NBA ( next rights to be available), really over bidding, so much that Traditional Channels cannot afford based on today’s market.

Last edited:
Can someone explain if I'll have to buy YTTV or will I be able to just pay the ST price to see it?

Nobody knows yet.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk
Gotcha, I figured as much, hoping if I have to buy YTTV, which I can afford plus DIRECTV, cause I'm not cutting the cord, that it'll be an add-on, with monthly payments, like DIRECTV.

Seeing its been established that the ST can get people at $300 a year ...
IF it does go to Google You tube, you tube tv is currently at $65 a month x 5 months, thats another $325 so your looking at about $600 for the ST per year and you know both those numbers will only go UP as the years go by.

Wondering if you have to have a particular level of package with YT if they get it.
I don't have YT, but I presume they have various levels of programming.

Only Positive is its Streaming, so I would think you can activate it in September and turn it off in January, I would hope.

By the way, since both lost out, I can see Amazon and Apple making a play for the NBA ( next rights to be available), really over bidding, so much that Traditional Channels cannot afford based on today’s market.
but the local teams own the rights to most of there own games

Status
Please reply by conversation.