DIRECTV Up To Bat with Fully-Loaded MLB EXTRA INNINGS(R) SuperFan(R) Service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well - DirecTV is over-delivering on MLB EI SuperFan so far.

They promised UP to 40 HD games per week - but the first week (6 days) they had 52 different HD games, last week over 60 HD games, and this week the schedule again lists over 60 HD games. Not incuding any ESPN, FOX or local HD games.

Pretty good for $50 bucks I say.

Actually, I call it a rip off. I pay for the MLB package, I pay for HD access, then I have to pay extra to see MLB games in HD? How come the Center Ice package does not work that way? I pay for Center Ice, I pay for HD, so I get to see Center Ice games in HD. This is just another way to squeeze $$$ out of customers.

Hey - that's your opinion, I respect it while disagreeing with it.

As a comparison, my local cable company (CABLEVISION) offers MLB EI - it is the same price as D* - $199.

But the offering is much less. For example today/night BOTH have the same 10 games offered. However CABLEVISION offers only SINGLE FEEDS, while D* has DOUBLE feeds of 9 of those games in SD. In addition, CABLEVISION hs ONLY 2 in HD, while D* has 9 out of the 10, and 8 of them have HD DOUBLE feeds.

So, I think that the price for the extra HD is fair if you want out-of-market HD games. And as noted they are putting on about 60 a week - even though they sold it as only offering up to 40 per week. For most people, they are already getting IN-MARKET HD games with only the HD access charges that you mention.

Sco,

You sure Cablevision is carrying MLBEI games in HD at all? I just looked in the guide on my Cablevision box, I don't see anything designating the games as HD, but I can't tell for sure, since I am not a MLBEI sub on Cablevision, only on D* :)

Hey - that's your opinion, I respect it while disagreeing with it.

As a comparison, my local cable company (CABLEVISION) offers MLB EI - it is the same price as D* - $199.

But the offering is much less. For example today/night BOTH have the same 10 games offered. However CABLEVISION offers only SINGLE FEEDS, while D* has DOUBLE feeds of 9 of those games in SD. In addition, CABLEVISION hs ONLY 2 in HD, while D* has 9 out of the 10, and 8 of them have HD DOUBLE feeds.

So, I think that the price for the extra HD is fair if you want out-of-market HD games. And as noted they are putting on about 60 a week - even though they sold it as only offering up to 40 per week. For most people, they are already getting IN-MARKET HD games with only the HD access charges that you mention.

Not too sure what Cablevision has to do with anything. I'm a D* subscriber and am not comparing what they are offering to what anyone else is offering. I just feel they are squeezing extra $$ out of customers. I subscribe to the MLB and NHL packages and find it odd that I have to pay extra for HD games on one package and not the other. Is it like that with the NFL and NBA packages?

Sco,

You sure Cablevision is carrying MLBEI games in HD at all? I just looked in the guide on my Cablevision box, I don't see anything designating the games as HD, but I can't tell for sure, since I am not a MLBEI sub on Cablevision, only on D* :)

The following MLB EI HD schedule was found from the CABLEVISION link - I don't know how accurate it is:

http://indemand.com/sports/mlb/schedule/mlbScheduleHD.pdf

I just talked wtih DirecTV about the blackout rules and was told that they are whatever MLB says they are. Well that is fine but I don't want to subscribe and find out that I am blacked out. I apologize if this has been answered before (many times before ??) but is there a website or other source that if I enter my zip code or phone number or ??? I can find out what the blackout rules are as they apply to me ???

Quick answer: call D* back and ask what RSN's are considered local for your zip. Games on all other RSN's are blacked-out.

Edit:
In my area, MASN is the RSN. Opponents' feeds for Orioles and Nationals home games are blacked-out. The lousy part is that MASN-HD has pitiful picture quality, the worst picture I've ever seen that actually calls itself 'HD'.

Went to Philly last weekend for the Saturday and Sunday games, Mets/Phillies
6 of us.

Tickets, good seats, not the best, 2nd deck (out of 4) 2nd row between 3rd and home. 2 gmes, 6 of us is 12 tickets $480

Had to drive because freakin Skybus did a number on me
Gas (500 mile each way) 50 gallons at $3.50 per gallon $175
Tolls at $17 each way $34

6 chessessteaks each night at $8.25 per $99
6 beers each night at $6.50 per $78

I wont even throw in the two hotel rooms for 1 night $400
and all of the other expences, meals etc....being away from home.

So the basics still $876 for 2 games.

Out of market to watch my beloved Phillies all year for what, about 2 bills with MLB EI and Superfan. I say again, bargain!

Went to Philly last weekend for the Saturday and Sunday games, Mets/Phillies
6 of us.

Tickets, good seats, not the best, 2nd deck (out of 4) 2nd row between 3rd and home. 2 gmes, 6 of us is 12 tickets $480

Had to drive because freakin Skybus did a number on me
Gas (500 mile each way) 50 gallons at $3.50 per gallon $175
Tolls at $17 each way $34

6 chessessteaks each night at $8.25 per $99
6 beers each night at $6.50 per $78

I wont even throw in the two hotel rooms for 1 night $400
and all of the other expences, meals etc....being away from home.

So the basics still $876 for 2 games.

Out of market to watch my beloved Phillies all year for what, about 2 bills with MLB EI and Superfan. I say again, bargain!

Well said! These days a $40 ticket for the seat you describe is not all that much. They'll stick you for the beers at any MLB park, again not unreasonable in-building. But still.... eliminate the travel and the $175 for fuel alone buys a lot more beer and a lot more food, for your group of 6 and then some.

So far, I like the new EI Superfan and love all the new HD games. But, I have not seen nearly as many games of my favorite team in HD as I expected to see. Also, usually when I am watching my team play in HD, it's on another team's broadcast and the commentators are rooting for the other team and it's annoying.

JPN, I love you logo..haha

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts