Directv without contract?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chapin4life

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Hi guys,

I want to get Directv but I don't like being obligated to a contract.

If I purchase my own receivers will I still be able to get new service offers or would I pay regular price on packages?

According to DirecTV all Equipment except the Dish and wiring belongs to them. I just left them and had to send all receivers back. I wish they would make up their minds.

It's usually cheaper to pay the etf fee than buy the equipment. etf I believe is $20 for each month not completed of the 24. So if you cancel after 1 year you only pay $240.... If you cancel after 23 months it would be $20. At least that's how it used to be.

It's usually cheaper to pay the etf fee than buy the equipment. etf I believe is $20 for each month not completed of the 24. So if you cancel after 1 year you only pay $240.... If you cancel after 23 months it would be $20. At least that's how it used to be.
Still is.

DirecTV really does need to offer a no-contract option. Contracts are the #1 reason anyone picks Cable over Satellite.

I miss the old days when one could go into BestBuy, CircuitCity, or Walmart and buy a "kit" of a receiver + dish + install hardware for like $100 - $200, go home install it and call to activate.

Only thing I don't like is paying monthly for a box I owned, If I bought it so they wouldn't renew contract then I shouldn't pay the $6 monthly for it, That's like buying a cable modem but cable company still charges rental fee for it.

DirecTV really does need to offer a no-contract option. Contracts are the #1 reason anyone picks Cable over Satellite.

I miss the old days when one could go into BestBuy, CircuitCity, or Walmart and buy a "kit" of a receiver + dish + install hardware for like $100 - $200, go home install it and call to activate.
Hmmm, the first ones I remember for that great set up were about $ 700 from those places ... Walmart wasn't here at least in these areas back then and CC had been out of business for awhile now.

Only thing I don't like is paying monthly for a box I owned, If I bought it so they wouldn't renew contract then I shouldn't pay the $6 monthly for it, That's like buying a cable modem but cable company still charges rental fee for it.
Good point.

I guess it's like we give you or you get the equipment and charge you for the service.

I think the last Directv box you could actually buy was the HR20, and it was $300. That doesn't include the dish, cabling, connectors, etc. In 1994 a complete kit was around $700-800.

I think the last Directv box you could actually buy was the HR20, and it was $300. That doesn't include the dish, cabling, connectors, etc. In 1994 a complete kit was around $700-800.
My dad bought a dish and 1 receiver for $300 late 1994 and that was considered a hell of a deal back then, also $300 was a lot more money then too. People now days are spoiled...

I had a Sony HD200 and and LG 3200a, pretty much the same boxes.

If they would simply take away all the box fees then the cost for TV would be way more affordable. See where these companies get you is in their advertising. They advertise 24.99, 34.99, 39.99 and they know some customers will sign up for that price and not know they will be charged the whole home DVR fee, HD Fee, receiver fees etc.... .

I stick with pay TV for live Sports. If I weren't a sports fan I'd drop it but there's no way that works out to get NBA, NFL,MLB and NHL all live or the ability to record the games elsewhere for a reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how many people end up not signing up as a result of the fees which make the price a bit higher. A lot of people do not like a contract either. That is a plus with Dish is that they give you that option. Neither will give you a good deal without a contract though as it costs them money and they want a return on that investment.

I remember the days when Wal-Mart sold Directv and Dish Network for $100-200, heck at one point it was as low as like $59 I believe. People would then come to me and want me to install it. Those were the days when the setups were simpler too with one lnb 12 or so years ago.

If they would simply take away all the box fees then the cost for TV would be way more affordable. See where these companies get you is in their advertising. They advertise 24.99, 34.99, 39.99 and they know some customers will sign up for that price and not know they will be charged the whole home DVR fee, HD Fee, receiver fees etc.... .
no difference than Comcast or Charter

Comcast touts 39.99 for 25MB internet and lifeline cable. But you only get a standard box
want HD? 10 bucks a month
want DVR? 18.95 a month
8.00 a month for the modem rental

Charter here says 29.99 a month but anything above lifeline requires a box at $6 a month (and there is no "free" 1st box). DVR is $20 for up to 4 DVR's....so if you want one DVR its $20 +6.00 and for 4 its 20 + 24. Can add up quickly

I wonder how many people end up not signing up as a result of the fees which make the price a bit higher. A lot of people do not like a contract either. That is a plus with Dish is that they give you that option. Neither will give you a good deal without a contract though as it costs them money and they want a return on that investment.

I remember the days when Wal-Mart sold Directv and Dish Network for $100-200, heck at one point it was as low as like $59 I believe. People would then come to me and want me to install it. Those were the days when the setups were simpler too with one lnb 12 or so years ago.

I don't remember anyone selling it that cheap, maybe for sd setups. When Directv first came out it was in the $700-800 range. When you could still get an HR20 at Best Buy they were $300.

I don't remember anyone selling it that cheap, maybe for sd setups. When Directv first came out it was in the $700-800 range. When you could still get an HR20 at Best Buy they were $300.
Those were all before the HR series came out ... there were no D* branded recvrs sold at BB or CC or Walmart ... (this wasn't directed at you Chip, just used your post as it pointed out the correct equipment.)
Yes, the cheap ones were the SD only, remember there wasn't any or very little HD till '06/'07.

Reactions: Stargazer
Those were all before the HR series came out ... there were no D* branded recvrs sold at BB or CC or Walmart ... (this wasn't directed at you Chip, just used your post as it pointed out the correct equipment.)
Yes, the cheap ones were the SD only, remember there wasn't any or very little HD till '06/'07.

Sure there was Jimbo, that's where I got my HR20-700.

Sure there was Jimbo, that's where I got my HR20-700.
Didn't the HR20 series come out in '06 ?
I guess there were some out there before they went to the Lease plan.

Part Number: DVR HR20Released: Sep 1, 2006

Thats right, the did have the H10 and H20 previous to '06 ...

I must be confusing the D Branded and the Lease plan time frame.
There was very little HD available on D* till the big push in '07.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)