DirecTV: We'll Offer 4KTV Broadcasts Before Year's End

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Most customers would rather have HD. I still don't understand what 4k is...

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

4K is just a higher resolution than HD. Actually, it is 4 times the number of pixels as HD (1080P).
3840 x 2160 instead of 1920 x 1080

Is it the same thing as UHD? I have heard that UHD is a gimmick and the size of most people's TVs wouldn't make a bit of difference. I wish they'd stop screwing around and just give us the HD that others have. And watchESPN.

Is it the same thing as UHD? I have heard that UHD is a gimmick and the size of most people's TVs wouldn't make a bit of difference. I wish they'd stop screwing around and just give us the HD that others have. And watchESPN.

4k is UHD. As far as Watch ESPN goes,AT&T U-Verse has that,& I wonder if we'll get it too for Directv,once the AT&T/Directv merger goes through(& pleeeeeeeeeease don't say "separate contracts":().

So when they designed 4K, did they develop it in a way that the TV does the decoding now, and through HDMI handshake tells the other device to just send the raw bitstream across the link for professing?

That would save a lot of money for cable and satellite operators.

So when they designed 4K, did they develop it in a way that the TV does the decoding now, and through HDMI handshake tells the other device to just send the raw bitstream across the link for professing?
4K is done the same way that 1080 and 720p are done. The raw picture data is sent out sequentially, scan line by scan line.

From the information I've seen, the initial 4K will be delivered VOD and I'm almost certain that means buy it and wait for it to download via satellite or Internet.

Well who does the heavy lifting then? Cable is MPEG2, so are DirecTV SD receivers. Point is they can't do MPEG4 let alone HEVC. So how could an MPEG4 box do HEVC? Software driver? I've been saying that for years for MPEG2 boxes but shot down that they are simple ASIC's without the power. Judging by how SLOW my HR24 is, I don't see how it has enough CPU cycles, unless it sends raw data to a TV that does the heavy lifting.

4K is done the same way that 1080 and 720p are done. The raw picture data is sent out sequentially, scan line by scan line.
???

Scan lines are so NTSC!

ATSC, all flavors, involves some compression. The picture is reconstituted.

I dont want to give away DIRECTV' secret sauce in regards to 4k, were shown the 4k behind closed doors. But I was surprised to see how well it worked on a regular HR-2X receiver.

Yep, it's something of a gimmick that most people won't perceive, mostly because of small TV sizes. Yet they'll buy it anyway because most good TVs will only be sold that way.

FWIW, I saw UHD on a 60-something inch TV and could see the difference. It's not just resolution, it's frame rate at resolution, and progressive scanning and an increased color gamut.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts