DirecTV: We'll Offer 4KTV Broadcasts Before Year's End

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Vizio...The Kia/Hyundai of the TV world.

I'd go with a Samsung, preferably a curved 70 to 100 inch one.
The curved ones have done nothing for me, so far .... That said, I'd go and feel very good about the Samsung or Sony as long as you stay with the higher end ones, which at this point I think is all these two offer in the UHD sets.

The curved ones have done nothing for me, so far .... That said, I'd go and feel very good about the Samsung or Sony as long as you stay with the higher end ones, which at this point I think is all these two offer in the UHD sets.

Ya for a curved TV it really has to be huge for it to work properly (like a IMAX screen). The curve idea was stolen from IMAX BTW

Smaller curved would only be useful as a gaming computer monitor since you've have to sit that close to it to be enveloped in it.

Perhaps just the Genesis Coupe...

Perhaps. My point is that Vizio makes a reliable set now, one that performs reasonably well. I'm not saying that it's a top of the line brand. It's a good value for the money.

Will Dolby Vision work with their 4k transmission?
Probably not.
As of now it will most likely be a boost in resolution only.
Other components to 4k won't be added until much later. No tv can display HDR or wider colors.

Probably not.
As of now it will most likely be a boost in resolution only.
Other components to 4k won't be added until much later. No tv can display HDR or wider colors.
Not that any service would be able to reasonably offer streaming of such content.

Doubling the resolution and/or color gamut will have a largely imperceptible impact on the program quality but the impact on bandwidth will be a big negative so you have to ask if it is really worth it.

Not that any service would be able to reasonably offer streaming of such content.

Doubling the resolution and/or color gamut will have a largely imperceptible impact on the program quality but the impact on bandwidth will be a big negative so you have to ask if it is really worth it.

???
Netflix already offers streaming 4k.
Is it worth it? Yes IMO.
Again. Higher resolution will be only a SMALL part of 4k.
Other elements will be the bigger wow factor.

???
Netflix already offers streaming 4k.
Is it worth it? Yes IMO.
Again. Higher resolution will be only a SMALL part of 4k.
As was pointed out earlier, the 4K that Netflix delivers is not the full gamut version of the future. For those who don't have at least 10Mbps broadband connections, it may be academic.

As was pointed out earlier, the 4K that Netflix delivers is not the full gamut version of the future. For those who don't have at least 10Mbps broadband connections, it may be academic.
Netflix is a start ... there will be a ton of changes between now and when everyone is getting it full blown.

Netflix is a start ... there will be a ton of changes between now and when everyone is getting it full blown.
This is where Netflix is playing up one of their delivery mode advantages over DBS: they don't have to carve out 1/3 to 1/2 of a CONUS transponder to deliver their content.

It seems a good time to point out that, contrary to the thread title, DIRECTV has no intention of broadcasting 4K this year. The plan is to IP cast it which is a 1:1 relationship and while it consumes bandwidth, terrestrial bandwidth is not all that difficult or expensive to add versus adding CONUS downlink capacity.

Actually, I'm expecting a channel of 4k, much like they did with 3d in the beginning, then to look at the picture as a whole and add on when others do.
I don't expect to see any regular Sat channels to broadcast 4k for quite awile, locals as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.