DirecTV: We'll Offer 4KTV Broadcasts Before Year's End

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Maybe that's why the things are so damn slow. 4K drivers already installed and hogging CPU cycles!

The things could have some reserve untapped power. They did for the HD GUI. Naysayers would say NO WAY could those boxes generate HD graphics. But thy pulled that off!

I guess this means there will be a new receiver by the end of the year. 4k doesn't even have a proven market yet. I wish Directv would hold off before they start wasting bandwidth on it.

I guess this means there will be a new receiver by the end of the year. 4k doesn't even have a proven market yet. I wish Directv would hold off before they start wasting bandwidth on it.
Please read Scott's previous post:)

Then if someone else comes out with it first, people will complain about D* not having it yet .... I can see it now. :oldfrown

Back in October, 2012 Philip J. Goswitz, DirecTV's vice president for space and communications stated all standard-def channels will be converted to HD by 2016 using local-into-local Ka-Band capacity. He added converting standard-def channels to high-def would free up 1 gigahertz of satellite spectrum for Ultra HD (4K) signals.

Well who does the heavy lifting then? Cable is MPEG2, so are DirecTV SD receivers. Point is they can't do MPEG4 let alone HEVC. So how could an MPEG4 box do HEVC? Software driver?
While you can certainly do wrappers in software, doing decoding of new streaming format is probably beyond the scope of the chipsets.

An MPEG4 box can do AVC and 4K can be delivered via AVC so from that standpoint, it is possible. Whether or not the older hardware can actually render 4K screens is the big question. Since the earliest models can't even pull off 3D, I'm dubious.

While you can certainly do wrappers in software, doing decoding of new streaming format is probably beyond the scope of the chipsets.

An MPEG4 box can do AVC and 4K can be delivered via AVC so from that standpoint, it is possible. Whether or not the older hardware can actually render 4K screens is the big question. Since the earliest models can't even pull off 3D, I'm dubious.
Only the HR20 can't do 3D. HR21+ can.

I don't know, what if you extrapolate the pixel density of an iPhone retina display to a 60" screen? 32k + right?

when will its end? 8k? 16k? 24k? or 32k?

It will never end. I read where after a certain resolution our eyes cannot detect any further enhancement and that we could be getting close to that point. The smaller the screen the less of a resolution that is needed. This means that they would look more at other improvements such as going back to things like 3D, better blacks and quality of that 4K quality, holograms, bendable portable displays and projectors, etc. Their efforts would go more into those types of qualities.

It will never end. I read where after a certain resolution our eyes cannot detect any further enhancement and that we could be getting close to that point. The smaller the screen the less of a resolution that is needed. This means that they would look more at other improvements such as going back to things like 3D, better blacks and quality of that 4K quality, holograms, bendable portable displays and projectors, etc. Their efforts would go more into those types of qualities.
I don't think you'll see 4K under 40", maybe not even 40" as they are becoming very hard to find, so its probably Over 40".

is the public expected to buy a new $1,000 tv every few years when the resolution go up? thankful i didn't buy in to the 3D technology that die out fast, i use like to go 3D movies but even that even became to much , i hope 4K is here to stay but unfortunately it's just stop! to no where!

As another poster has stated. Better picture is a more about other things as expanded color and high dynamic range.
I would want the last two a lot more than just higher resolution if given the choice. Of course all three of these will need a panel and contents that support all and we are still a few years out from this IMO.

Reactions: navychop
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)