Status
Please reply by conversation.

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.tvpredictions.com/directvbig092106.htm

The satcaster is taking heat for not adding more national HD channels -- and allegedly diluting the picture on existing ones.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (September 21, 2006) -- It's not been a good week for DIRECTV. Well, at least not for the executives who oversee the company's High-Definition TV service.

First, Eric Shanks, DIRECTV's executive vice president of entertainment, revealed to TVPredictions.com that the satcaster would not add more national HDTV channels until the second quarter of 2007. Shanks said DIRECTV instead would focus on rolling out local HD channels in more markets across the country. (DIRECTV is launching several new satellites to expand its local HD service now and national HD in 2007.)

Since the revelation, TVPredictions.com has received approximately 100 negative e-mails from DIRECTV subscribers, complaining that DIRECTV's nine-channel national high-def lineup fares poorly compared to rival satcaster EchoStar (30 national HD channels) and several cable systems (anywhere from 15 to 25 HD channels.)

And then, to compound the problem, TVPredictions.com disclosed yesterday that Peter Cohen, a DIRECTV subscriber in the Los Angeles area, has filed a class action lawsuit against the company, charging that it has fraudulently reduced the picture resolution on its high-def channels since 2004. Cohen says the satcaster diluted the picture after promising "astonishing picture quality" when he signed up for the service and purchased the HD equipment.

(The charge is that DIRECTV "squeezes" the picture resolution to save money and/or create room for more channels.)

DIRECTV's Eric Shanks.

DIRECTV denies the charge, saying its HDTV picture quality is as good or better than anyone. But a judge this week ruled against DIRECTV's motion for a quick arbitration settlement.

The lawsuit was red meat for some disgruntled DIRECTV HD subscribers who crowded Internet message boards with disparaging comments about what they call, 'DIRECTV HD Lite.'

"Thanks for standing up for all us, Mr. Cohen," one writer stated at the AVS Forum.

How Big Is the Problem?
DIRECTV would appear to be in danger of alienating the growing high-def audience. More than 20 million U.S. homes now have high-def sets and sales are expected to boom during the holiday season. While e-mail writers and Internet posters do not represent that entire audience, they do reflect a growing unrest among DIRECTV's HD subscribers.

But just how bad is the damage? To answer that, we need to more closely examine the week's two news developments:

1. No National HDTV Channels Until 2007
DIRECTV has only added two national HD channels (TNT HD and ESPN 2HD) in the last year, a big disappointment considering chief rival EchoStar is now at 30 national HD channels. Many DIRECTV high-def owners say they were sure the satcaster would have added at least a few more by now -- and certainly more by the 2006 holidays. DIRECTV at this point does not carry such HD networks as Starz HD, MHD (MTV Networks' high-def music channel), National Geographic HD and Food Network HD.

So will DIRECTV's HD subscribers jump ship? Probably not -- at least for a few months.

The satcaster has the exclusive rights to the NFL Sunday Ticket, the pay package of Sunday football games. The 'Ticket' is a huge attraction for young males, a large segment of the high-def audience. It's unlikely they will pull the plug on their favorite pastime during the season.

However, come January, DIRECTV could start to lose its HD base if they continue to say no more national HD channels until the second quarter.

2. The Class Action Lawsuit
DIRECTV says the case has no merit, but the mere filing has triggered a wave of negative publicity about its high-def service.

To make matters worse, Cohen's charge is a tough one to defend. Even if DIRECTV's high-def resolution is up to industry standards, many HD owners who have poorly tuned sets will still think it's the satcaster's fault. Regardless of what DIRECTV does from now, a perception has been created that it dilutes the picture.

However, DIRECTV next year will switch to a new HD compression technology, called MPEG 4, which promises cleaner and more detailed images. Perhaps then, DIRECTV will be able to turn the issue around.

So, bottom line, DIRECTV has been hurt by the two revelations. But when it switches to MPEG 4 -- and adds a large number of national HD channels, as promised -- I suspect that all will be forgiven.

Yeah and I like it out they are pointing out that Direct is just adding more Locals in HD.. That the 100 some channels are just locals "not other networks" like FoodHD,HGTVHD so forth.. It's simple too see that Direct is falling behind that their managment is out of sink with their customers. Also that they are trying to make ground up by saying their adding 100 channels of local HD which everyone is doing. By far if anyone want HD Dish is the way to go due to they have more HD and its not just locals in HD which everyone will have... Its all about get the other network stations in HD when they are ready. Dis seems to be in on the new thing which is HD to were Direct is behind.. I think there is a good chance Dish couls have more Customers that Direct this time next year. I know more and more folks jumping the sinking ship going over to Dish. Everyone them have told me that they like the Dish better so far than Direct.. Either way we will half to waite see how things go for Direct. As far as the HD-Lite issue and folks sueing almost if not all Tv Service providers have issues with HD-Lite due to euipment they are useing. Overtime the rez will get better has hardware gets cheaper for them to buy.. It just does not happen over night like folks think it does and it cost serivce providers alot of money to upgrade. But overtime it will be fine..

But it will be interesting too see what happens in court hope the guy wins! But this could be good or bad situation for everyone. If the person wins well it might make Direct and others like Dish so forth speed up their progress to upgrade their hardware to take care of HD-Lite. But it could also make it longer if these companies half to start paying out money for lawsuites also.. Either way its going to cost service providers money but I rather them be spending it on their hardware improvements than to have the excuess not to due to lawsuites.

Last edited:
Poke said:
It's simple too see that Direct is falling behind that their managment is out of sink with their customers.
What people need to understand is that DirecTV's management is now made of of quite a number of former Dish Network folks. ;)

Food network and MTV suck, who cares about, get some more decent stuff like more CI and sports package HD feeds every night, and I can see Starz and NG and stuff, but that other stuff is sjust crap.

For DirecTV it is much more important to have the Big 4/5 networks in HD then channels such as MHD or Food HD. That is what they can sell to the Joe six-pack consumer. So the more markets they get LIL in HD the better marketing leverage they will have.

Trying to tell the average consumer that they can locals in HD through an OTA antenna that may or may nor work due to geography, antenna size, location of antenna, or station signal strength will make them run to cable. For the early adopters and the technically inclined yes it is a good option, but that is not the majority of the American pay-tv consumers.

They want their Gray's Anatomy, ER, and local football game in HD with no complicated antenna setup that is not supported by their pay-tv provider. The HD aficionado market is a significant niche market, but it will not be DirecTV's bread and butter (as the Voom debacle showcased).

For DirecTV to be competitive for that new consumer that has just gotten a $1500 HDTV, they need LIL in HD. That is why the are pushing so hard for more and more markets in HD as fast as they can. So while this is not what the super HD fan wants to see, it makes total market sense for DirecTV. I imagine most people how want 30 HD channels will be switching or already have switched to Dish Network.

jake14mw said:
I wonder why there was no mention of Rupert's confusing comment regarding 100 HD channels by year end?

Because Swanni did not make it a sticky and try to string along customers until december 2006 :D

geaux1 said:
Food network and MTV suck, who cares about, get some more decent stuff like more CI and sports package HD feeds every night, and I can see Starz and NG and stuff, but that other stuff is sjust crap.

The usual suspect argument... one's garbage is someone's gold... :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
I think Swanni must have switched to Decaf or something. His articles lately have actually been decent. :)
I agree! I even sent an e-mail telling him how much I enjoyed reading the article.
Funny how these "poorly tuned sets" seem to have great pictures with OTA HD.
Great quote...Swanni should use it in his next article.

Well either way point of the matter is that Direct is behind on things they offer in HD.. Yes it might be HD-Lite or whatever but Dish for your money has the best HD plans out there and they offer more.. Everyone else is playing cathup and next year will be interesting to see what happens with all the tv service providers..

Why is this being brought up over and over again, Yes there are some here on Satguys and DBs and AVS, that want more and mroe HD, but Overall, majority wants Locals in HD, because thats were majority do their viewing, along with RSN's in HD, so 2-3 years ago Directv started doing just that, and then we are so close now to the National HD capacity then we have ever been....Yes Dish is adding more and more national HD, but lets start writing articles about how far behind they are on LIL HD, where are those at? also just like the end of that article states next year, all will be good as Directv WILL be turning on some serious HD!

I disagree with you Poke. D* is launching 2 new sats next year that will allow them to add much more HD content. To say only Dish has a plan for HD is wrong. Check with Scott on this, but back in June, when Dish added all those channels in HD, the retailers were told to take advantage of the edge we have in HD right now, because it isn't going to last for the near future. I think Dish knows what is coming next year with the 2 new sats that D* is launching.

Hi everybody, nice to be here!

Personally, I would like to see Starz and Cinemax HD. I get my locals OTA, so that really doesn't matter to me. I'm not interested in Food or HGTV.

Scott Greczkowski said:
What people need to understand is that DirecTV's management is now made of of quite a number of former Dish Network folks. ;)

I agree, and I also agree Both companies have different angles, Dish did National HD first, and now they are starting to do LIL (will probably add ALOT next year) Directv Did LIL first and will add alot of national Next year, I think patience is a good virtue!

bgilga said:
I disagree with you Poke. D* is launching 2 new sats next year that will allow them to add much more HD content. To say only Dish has a plan for HD is wrong. Check with Scott on this, but back in June, when Dish added all those channels in HD, the retailers were told to take advantage of the edge we have in HD right now, because it isn't going to last for the near future. I think Dish knows what is coming next year with the 2 new sats that D* is launching.

exactly! thank you bgilga and Scott! by the way, Scott thanks for being neutral and calling it like you see it, thats is very refreshing!

Thanks for backing me up on that Scott. The bottom line is this. The HD war between Dish and Directv is going to be like a tennis match with each one going back and forth. Ayear from now, the people at Directv are going to want to know what Charlie had up his sleeve to get the lead back. This will go on until every HD channel is on both providers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts