DIRECTV's Big HDTV Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Guys, I have had D* since 96 and E* since 01 HDwise E* since 03 and D* since 04 , D*HD had better get going quick... E* HD has better PQ all the way around,IMHO even on the HD-net channels which are being downrezzed right now on E* ...I am keeping both and maybe re-subbing to BUD for better PQ on SD...but, sheesh bandwidth is bandwidth...

Satmeister said:
Who's your daddy! :D

All kidding aside. Obviously in any issue, the naysayers are usually the most vocal and willing to speak up. How often do most people say "things are fine", things are almost perfect", "I'm satisfied", etc. -- almost never. Any talk of lawsuits and the like are just zealot negative rubbish. If they spent 1/2 the time watching HDTV than they do writing degrading negative posts, we'd never hear from them again.

It's nice to know that despite the same repeated negativity from a handful of posters, there are others like us who are not afraid to show the other side of the coin and see reality, not to mention positive things in the real world of HDTV.

Things are good now (not perfect), getting better, and something to look forward in the future as well. :up

Good Post Satmeister... Dish Network lost their KA Band License, and DirecTV has the only "Video" KA Band License!!! If they get everything tested in time, and their KA Birds start broadcasting, they will have more capacity on one Bird, than Dish has on all of their Birds combined... And so, stay tuned to "As The Satellite World" turns... LOL

Digital Dude said:
DirecTV is all about money....If it weren't for Sunday ticket DirecTV would be sunk, and we're all paying the price for Sunday ticket.

Dish has their issues as well but I'll take bets that there will NEVER be a Rupert Chat on DirecTV, they're too afraid of the customers they've alienated.
Guess what - every business is all about money - what a surprise, huh? :rolleyes:

Sunday Ticket was a smart business move on their part.

I hope there never is a Rupert Chat, because if it is anything like the lies, misrepresentations, and yada-yada-yada non-information on the Charlie Chats, they'd be of equal non-importance. No wonder E* is so screwed up and lacks any kind of vision.

Sometimes I crack up reading the negativity. . . Ford or Chevy, Honda or Toyota, chocolate or vanilla, Republican or Democrat? CHOICES!!! We all have choices. I prefer Sunday Ticket and local HD to FoodHD, A&E HD, etc. That is my choice, and it works for me. We could argue this forever, and probably will, but there will always be an opposing viewpoint. :D This is what makes this forum fun. :p

I will admit I like StarzHD and MAXHD, and thus I pay for cable to get those. If I had E* I would have STarzHD, but then need D* for Sunday Ticket, and cable for MaxHD. See my point here. There is NO perfect provider right now, so we all have to choose what is right for us.

I for one am happy with D*, because I am getting what I want. Now that the fall tv shows have started, as well as the football season, I don't watch anything but D*. I am even considering canceling cable, as the boxes rarely get used. In the future, if I don't get what I want, I will go somewhere else or add another provider

My dad, and two other people I know, are dropping E* to go to D*. They get partial OTA signals, and cannot watch FOX or CBS. The really want their locals in HD, and do not really care about all of the HD channels on E* they never watch. HDnet and UHD did keep them from going to Comcast though. They made a choice! I did warn them about the PQ on D* vs E*, and they commented that E*'s is not that much better and has gone downhill. They remarked that getting HD locals, is greater concern for them than PQ on national HD's. (This makes it hard for me to argue against D*'s HD strategy.)

I guess too much of something is a bad thing. We are spoiled (and love it) and very lucky to have multiple providers, but we have to remember that we are not the average customers that these companies cater too. Voom, as a satellite company, tried to cater to the HD fanatics, and where are they now? My friends often remind me with all of the toys and gadgets I have, that I am not an average consumer.

As much as I would love full HD quality, and a world where SD does not exist, I am happy for now. When USA, SciFi, FX, and other channels that I watch go HD, then I will go where I can get them, as well as my Sunday Ticket. If it is on one provider I will be there, but if I have to have multiple providers, I will be there as well.

Until then, I will just sit back and watch my locals and football games in HD!!!

Last edited:
Lynskyn said:
Funny how these "poorly tuned sets" seem to have great pictures with OTA HD.
Agreed, I am surprised that nobody has commented on this. My consistent gripe with D* (I admit I am wishy-washy on other) is that their HD line-up should look as good as my OTA.

My TV used to look like crap, then I ran AVIA and it was great, but I was able to see degraded SD programming. Now thanks to the CEDIA SatGuys Party I have tried SpyderTV and woo hoo, that thing kicks butt, if you want detail (for OTA) this device is the way to go.

The D* PQ has been sliding off for 3 years and honestly I feel I have been compensated by customer retention, but I would give it all back for full bandwidth SD & HD Programming. I used to pump D* PQ to the point of insanity but in the last three years it has gone to crap across the board.

I am an NFL ST Sub and these HD channels look good, if that EVER changes I'll file a suit myself. It is the only reason I am a D* sub. The other reason as I have recently discovered is TiVo and HD TiVo ... so MPEG4 is no longer running in my home, Despite the awkward AT9 now on my house.

D* needs to change, to kill the churn they discuss. Thanks to all the other members for your insight as well!

stuart628 said:
sorry you make no sense, I kinda see where you are coming from, if sat isnt launched, then no 150 national channels, but also in the same breath, if a sat for E* breaks down no channels, if cable has problems No HD Channels, you could really say that about any company. and your right Dish network is not promising National HD channels in the future, only D*, remember that.

and E* never promised 30HD channels right now either, but they have them.
From what I see E* just adds things without all the hype.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts