DirectvTivo: diplaying on HD set

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chuckles2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 26, 2006
I want to replace my 36' CRT with a larger screen, primarily to view DVDs (NOT HD), I realize that buying anything but a HD set would be foolish at this point BUT I'm not ready to update to HD Directv for various reasons*.
So what HD screen (including plasma, rear projection, and LCD direct view) would give me the "best" from a DirectvTivo?
I am aware that both present DVD's and DirectvTivo are not HD.

* if you really must know, inability to burn HD DVDs, cost of HD (or Blu) DVD players, and all the scary stories here and other places about Directv's HD DVR.

I want to replace my 36' CRT with a larger screen, primarily to view DVDs (NOT HD), I realize that buying anything but a HD set would be foolish at this point BUT I'm not ready to update to HD Directv for various reasons*.
So what HD screen (including plasma, rear projection, and LCD direct view) would give me the "best" from a DirectvTivo?
I am aware that both present DVD's and DirectvTivo are not HD.

* if you really must know, inability to burn HD DVDs, cost of HD (or Blu) DVD players, and all the scary stories here and other places about Directv's HD DVR.

Got to agree with Plywodstatebum. Don't buy any TV unless it is HD, otherwise you will be purchasing something that is almost outdated when you purchase it.

On your statement about the inability to burn HD DVDs, this can currently be done via computers using the new Pioneer BDR-101, Blu Ray burner. I am sure that tabletop models are around the corner.

I think the cost of HD players will come down soon. Just like any new electronics product, the first models are expensive to cover the development costs, of the item, and as new models come out the price will drop.

Your third item, D* new HR20. There have been some problems with the earlier ones but as software upgrades have come out the problems have gone away. Also D has been very good at working with people how have non software problems with the units. There again as the upgrades have come down line they are getting better and better all the time.

I just bought a new Mitsubishi 57", DLP, 1080p HDTV, and love it. Great picture, on D* HD channels, and also when I hook up my upconverted DVD player w/ HTMI output to the new TV, it looks great.

For my money, I love me some 36" sony wega. I would not have a rear projection tv. And I don't think I would hook my DirectTivo up to a larger HD screen. Sometimes it looks really crappy on the wega because of compression. A bigger screen is gonna make that worse, especially if it is a 16x9 screen, and you stretch it. YUK! The Wega has a better picture than any SD 36" I've encountered. Its heavy as hell, though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)