DirecWay Dish question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dharding

Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
I have the oval DirecWay dish (Hughes) that has the Direcway LNB and one LNB for DirecTV (with two output connectors). This feeds a multiswitch to 4 receivers on the system. All is working fine - but I'm notified by DirecTV that the local channels are moving to Sat-C, and my dish was not receiving that sat and needed to be upgraded. After many calls to both DirecTV and DirecWay, and having each of them saying that the other had to provide the upgrade, I gave up and ordered a Terk sat-C upgrade kit and installed the new sat-C LNB in the open slot on the dish. It picks up sat-C perfectly, but when I use the included Sat-B/Sat-C combiner to connect it to the Sta-B coax before it enters the multi-switch, I start losing transponders on Sta-A and Sat-B. I thought I had connected it to the wrong output from the original LNB, but the problem occurs with either output.
After checking this forum, it appears that to be receiving both 101 and 119 sats, I should have 2 LNBs, but I have only one. What gives? Do I have a special LNB that can pick up both satellites? It does pick up both sats. I guess I need some advice here. Thanks in advance.

Ok, Not sure quite what your saying here so I'll give you some background and you can post back with whats actually going on:D

To pick up the 101 and the 119 on the Direcway dish you need to (1) have the Direcway pointed at either the 117 (Satmax5) or the 99 (G4R), if it isn't then you will need to have an installer come out to repoint the DWay (2) You need an A-kit and a B-kit (not C, C is used for the 110, Hi-Def/Chinese). The A-kit is a 2 degree kit that actually sits inside the cover next to the Direcway LNB and pokes out. The B-kit is an arm that comes off the side with 2 spots in it. Depending on the Sat your Dway is pointed to, the spots will be marked 110 and 101 (on the Satmax5) or 110 and 119 (on G4R).

Now, I am assuming your Dway is pointed at the 117 (Satmax5) and that you have a B-kit on there (Assumption based on the fact that you had a spot to pop in the C-kit) and also that you don't have a 4x4 Multi-Swith and that you are trying to hook the "C-kit" into the "B-kit" that is already there.

What you will need (if the above is the case) is a 4x4 Multi-switch and an A-kit. Mount the A-kit per the instructions (its a pain and will require pulling off the cover (watch for bees) and possibly the B-Kit). Run the B-Kit (101) into the Sat A side on the multi-switch, Run one side of the A-Kit (119) into the 13v B Side on the multi-switch and run the other side of it into the C kit combiner and from there into the 18v B-Side of the Multi-Switch.

At this point, set your receivers to the 3 LNB dish and you should be set:D

Have fun and post again if ya need more help:D

WTT

I'll check inside the Dway cover this evening to see if the A-kit LNB is inside and get back to you. Thanks for the post.

David

Not if he is pointed at the Satmax5, he only would have a B-kit (and the C now that he picked that up).

Give us a post back as to which Sat your Dway is pointed at and if you have the 4x4 multi-switch "up there"

WTT

More info

I opened up the LNB cover and you were right - WASPS! As you can see from the attached photo, there is no LNB inside other than the one for Direcway, but I don't see a place for it in there. If the one at the end of the arm is Sat-A (110), and Sat-C (110) goes in the space beside it as you can see in the picture, where do I mount the sat-B LNB?

David

Attachments

• dish.jpg
    dish.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 302
If you look at the side of the picture facing us there is a white plastic insert, basically the A kit is a specially shaped LNB that fits in that spot, Installing it can be a real pain though depending on if you get an older A kit or the newer one. The newer one will slide down into that slot once you pull off the top gray piece. The older one you have to pull the whole thing apart:(

Anyway, you also need a 4x4 multi-switch to combine the 101 & 119 (and 110 if you keep it).

Good Luck,

WTT

I need to stare at that dish a little harder - I didn't see any place for the LNB. Any idea where I can order a special LNB like that? By the way, I already have another multiswitch 5-in/4-out that should work fine.

David

It won't look like a "normal" LNB. The tip is more like a 1/2" piece of PVC that ends in a point. If I go up to the shop this afternoon I will take a digital picture of one and post it. A quick google images search pulled up nothing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)