Direcway problems/alternative to Direcway

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

divecorn

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
I can't get the "liscensed" Direcway dealers to install a new 7000ns system the way I want it done, or connect it to the bird " I " want to use.

Does anybody know how to order a new H7000ns complete system ( .98 meter dish with the pro package ) from Direcway ... " excluding " or " without " the installation ?
If they will ship or deliver to you without instalation then how do you get a SAT No. and a PIN No. to activate/commision the system after you have installed and aligned it yourself.

Alternately, does anyone know an installer in N.E. Florida who will install / commision the system the way I request, without a whole bunch of excuses about the FCC this and the FCC that.

divecorn said:
I can't get the "liscensed" Direcway dealers to install a new 7000ns system the way I want it done, or connect it to the bird " I " want to use.

Does anybody know how to order a new H7000ns complete system ( .98 meter dish with the pro package ) from Direcway ... " excluding " or " without " the installation ?
If they will ship or deliver to you without instalation then how do you get a SAT No. and a PIN No. to activate/commision the system after you have installed and aligned it yourself.

Alternately, does anyone know an installer in N.E. Florida who will install / commision the system the way I request, without a whole bunch of excuses about the FCC this and the FCC that.

What are they telling you that you cannot do?

You cannot just pick the satellite you want to point at.

And no you cannot install it yourself.

How do you want the system installed explain briefly?

what I want

I live in a mobile home park and the landlord refuses to let anyone dig a hole and plant a bucket of cement for the pole mount.
The installer won't put the pole in the bucket of cement " above ground " and guy it off.
I have seen direcway dishes mounted in a makeshift steel frame with cement blocks to hold it down, but this installer won't consider or offer alternatives.
Also I don't want to be commisioned to the current satellite offered by Hughes.
I prefer Satmex-5 or AMC-9 .... why the refusal to comply with this request, they are both Direcway satellites.
As far as not being able to install it myself, ...... spell that not allowed to by Hughes definition of FCC rules ..... not that I'm not able to. Somewhere I read that I can take a $25 course in Florida that makes me qualified ??

The Dish will not be stable in a bucket of cement above ground. Those are ok for D* or E* but Hughes dishes are too big and it will be top heavy. The makeshift steel frame you see is called a non-pen mount. It is used in commercial installs that are on flat roofs. The problem with this is it should not go on the ground because the dish has to be at least 6 feet off the ground because it emits microwave frequency.

As for the you picking the satellite truth be know they are all going to work about the same. Some have more or less signal that others depending on which frequency you use, but in order for Hughes to distribute the load evenly among everyone they choose transponders that have low loads on them for commissioning.

Just a course is not going to teach you how to install a Hughes. It will only give you the basic knowledge. The course is around 200 dollars also.

Thanks for the info and I appreciate your input but I already know about the 6ft rule and the reason for it. Also I know that Hughes wants to commision to low usage birds but I will be moving later to a very remote area and Satmex-5 and AMC-9 are the only 2 birds that will work for me ....based on the footprint and the experience of others in the area. Also from reading the forum and speaking to others I understand that once commisioned , it's like pulsing teeth to get the bird changed .... this is why I want one of those two birds right from the start.
Also I don't want to be a professional installer but I have gleaned enough knowlege from others and have enough common sense, that working with others in the area who already have the system, that we can figure out how to align it.
The problem is getting it installed and set up initially in Florida and commissioned.
after that I'm on my own and as long as I pay the monthly bill who cares. Besides,
everyone I have talked to says that getting ahold of tech support at Hughes/Direcway is nigh on impossible and even then you have to speak Pakistani, so they just solve their own problems. Direcway is only a short term fix until I can get decent phone service and or DSL so $500 or so is no big deal.
I would still be interested in your thoughts if you have a possible solution

I would call a local retailer and tell them you want a non pen mount (you know the height issue, so explain your situation to them). Let them commission to the default or ask them if they will "try" to move it to your desired sat ( if they won't or cannot then you can change it when you move - going to need an installer to do that though).

dirkleearm said:
I would call a local retailer and tell them you want a non pen mount (you know the height issue, so explain your situation to them). Let them commission to the default or ask them if they will "try" to move it to your desired sat ( if they won't or cannot then you can change it when you move - going to need an installer to do that though).

Non-Pen mount on the ground is a neat way for the installer to get a chargeback after the QC guy is out. ;)

I ran accross one of those in a FEMA trailer park. Probably a customer like this one, that knows more than us, and won't take no for an answer. I wouldn't put my cert on the line for some BS like this, and I can't believe that guy did. I also ran across one at an apartment that was bucket mounted. The bucket had a ratchet strap securing it to the railing.

Now we are supposed to measure the dish height and show proof (close up of the tape measure at the lowest part of the dish).

If this guy has a REAL roof on his trailer, and not one of those sheet metal POS's, then you could put it on a non pen on the roof, provided you built it up to be level (otherwise, you'd catch hell lining it up).

Not every residential will get inspected. For starters, if I can't find a house, I'm moving on. I ain't calling for directions, it takes too much time. I tried that last week.

:) well to start fema and direcway set these up as "Temp" installs. and are authorized to be non standard install. a non-pen mount is a fair way to install this situation. all sats are running good! i have a dw6000 on satmex5 and a hn7700s on a8. so you shouldn't be so stuck on one sat! taking the time to call a customer for directions is just part of the job. just think if you were the customer that's been waiting a week for the install then takes the day off work to have some one not even bother to call him.:mad:

hobojoe said:
:) taking the time to call a customer for directions is just part of the job. just think if you were the customer that's been waiting a week for the install then takes the day off work to have some one not even bother to call him.:mad:

Chad is a QC guy. He does not install.:)

And no you cannot install it yourself.

That is not true at all. I did a self install on a DW6000 purchased off ebay back in july. It's up and running just fine. The fact of the matter is once you have a pin and san number you can commission the modem and hughes doesn't have the faintest idea who installed it.

I bought the equipment on ebay at 3am in the morning for $120. Modem, dish, tria, mount...the whole works. $50 bucks for shipping and another $35 to an authorized hughesnet distributor to set up my account with a pin and san and it was off to the races. So...for just over $200 I was up and running and this is what I'm posting on now.

You DO have a choice of satellites when you commission used equipment. I choose IA-8. You don't necessarily have a choice of transponders that the modem is commissioned on however. While the FCC rules frown on self installs there is a loophole. Have you ever considered all the tripod mount systems that the various RV people and EOC's use (emergency operations centers)? Many of these people are not certified.

On my DW6000 with home account $59.95 a month, hughes says I can get UP TO 500kbps download. I usually run around 575 to 600 kbps download speeds. During peak useage it can sometimes slow down to 100 kbps but that usually doesn't last too long.

However, all that being said unless someone has set up quite a few KU FTA installs I would recommend using a certified installer. For several reasons. The dish is much harder to align than the "pizza pan" DBS dishes. You probably won't have a hughes API which means you will either have to drag a laptop and your modem to the roof with you or make a small adjustment and keep going back to the computer. Even 1/4 to 1/8 inch off and you can loose the signal. Also if the skew isn't dead nuts on the system will never pass ACP and it won't turn on.

But, for someone who has done installs before, is patient, has a rudimentary satellite meter, knows the spectrum as far as what sat is where, reads..understands and follows the hughes installation manual religiously, especially in the area of grounding it can be done yourself. I am living proof and I have a great little setup for minimal money.

OH, BTW...anyone who is thinking of buying off of ebay better do their homework and check to make sure before the purchase that the modem was decommissioned by hughes and is available to be recommissioned will have an expensive pile of junk. If there is money owed on the modem or contract by the previous owner hughes won't enable it. And...don't by a DW4000 system as hughes will no longer commission these units. Only the DW6000, 7000(hs) units can be turned on.

Arion said:
That is not true at all. I did a self install on a DW6000 purchased off ebay back in july. It's up and running just fine. The fact of the matter is once you have a pin and san number you can commission the modem and hughes doesn't have the faintest idea who installed it.

I bought the equipment on ebay at 3am in the morning for $120. Modem, dish, tria, mount...the whole works. $50 bucks for shipping and another $35 to an authorized hughesnet distributor to set up my account with a pin and san and it was off to the races. So...for just over $200 I was up and running and this is what I'm posting on now.

You DO have a choice of satellites when you commission used equipment. I choose IA-8. You don't necessarily have a choice of transponders that the modem is commissioned on however. While the FCC rules frown on self installs there is a loophole. Have you ever considered all the tripod mount systems that the various RV people and EOC's use (emergency operations centers)? Many of these people are not certified.

On my DW6000 with home account $59.95 a month, hughes says I can get UP TO 500kbps download. I usually run around 575 to 600 kbps download speeds. During peak useage it can sometimes slow down to 100 kbps but that usually doesn't last too long.

However, all that being said unless someone has set up quite a few KU FTA installs I would recommend using a certified installer. For several reasons. The dish is much harder to align than the "pizza pan" DBS dishes. You probably won't have a hughes API which means you will either have to drag a laptop and your modem to the roof with you or make a small adjustment and keep going back to the computer. Even 1/4 to 1/8 inch off and you can loose the signal. Also if the skew isn't dead nuts on the system will never pass ACP and it won't turn on.

But, for someone who has done installs before, is patient, has a rudimentary satellite meter, knows the spectrum as far as what sat is where, reads..understands and follows the hughes installation manual religiously, especially in the area of grounding it can be done yourself. I am living proof and I have a great little setup for minimal money.

OH, BTW...anyone who is thinking of buying off of ebay better do their homework and check to make sure before the purchase that the modem was decommissioned by hughes and is available to be recommissioned will have an expensive pile of junk. If there is money owed on the modem or contract by the previous owner hughes won't enable it. And...don't by a DW4000 system as hughes will no longer commission these units. Only the DW6000, 7000(hs) units can be turned on.

Most of the stuff you have now idea about. But I guess you set yours up so you know. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
IA8 is the default sat for DW6000. I very much doubt you could call and get a different bird if you are not a cert installer. So yes, I would say you could set it up yourself on the default sat, or if it is still commissioned to the original sat of commissioning. Hope that made sence.

Believe me when I say you do have a selection. I choose IA-8 as an option because that's the one I have the best shot at. The company that sets up the account for you has some leeway as to what satellite you are assigned to. It matters not if your a certified installer or not what matters is the hughesnet reseller that sets up the service for you. As I had said in my first post I went through all this a few months ago and did it all myself and yes it can be done if your up to the challenge. :)

http://www.montanasatellite.com/hughesnet/service_request.htm

Last edited:
Ya TATE,,, keep your job... jeesh
I can not stand people like you that rant about the FCC rules on Microwave transmissions,,, the current model of DWs 7000 and 6000's are UNREGULATED output power... your micro leaks more rads... and with the self checking feedback on the TX test.. it all but guarantees their will be no screw-up…and keeps bad installers form screwing up too!!!

you can install it your self.. I have my own SAN and Pin issued to me.. I bought my equipment from EBay and are now only trying to get the simple info needed to find the correct sat assigned to me.. based on my location ( ie Azimuth, elevation, polarization AEP for short) for my zip....

This seems to be guarded info by the installer community.. and huges is under agreement not to release it. When I get this sat info or more likely software, I'll post it here for all to use...

I have been doing DTV and DISH installs for 15+ years and their should be no reason for me to have to take a course to "aim" a dish... a good pointing meter and a ruff "AEP" and I'm off to the races....

Nahhhh!!!!

Have To Correct You

o07wray said:
Ya TATE... keep your job... jeesh
Sorry to tell you this...Tate is correct. Arion is talking above his head. You can still get a DW4000 or DW4020 commissioned, and you have no idea about troubles experienced when people install themselves...and yes, Montana Satellite service will move you to any satellite you desire, but some frequencies are unusable with older equipment.....most of the stuff you would get on deal at Ebay.

Tate is NOT correct and quit sticking together... if you can hammer a nail and follow simple instructions.. you can install directway... do you think your getting a rocket scientist to install your dish? think not.. most haven’t completed high school....

I with YEARS of experience and a degree in electronics and hold a class 1 FCC engineers license.. should be allowed to install my own dish... in fact it is the LAW...the FCC deregulated this class of communications JUST SO A HIGH SCHOOL DROP-OUT CAN COME AND INSTALL YOUR DISH!!!! If it were regulated by the FCC you'd have to have a class A operators license to operate a sat up-link.. and you still do in certain classes of fixed site high power broadcast systems..

I will not say that I haven’t seen my share of messed up installs by home owners..but I have seen just as many messed up “ professional” installs to.

So it boils down to this….
Legally you can do your own install…,, and directway HAS TO ALLOW IT ( or else face total regulation and certification by the FCC for all of its installers.. not just a company sponsored course.. but a degree from a 4 yr college and proof that you have passed the class 1 test )

But your are also responsible for all liability that might arise from a bad install.. ( i.e.. dish falling off roof and killing someone.. ripped off in a wind storm… or in this case..a poorly aligned dish that just might slow down 1 or 2 other users ) and may want to let someone else take the rap.

So if you think your capable… and willing to do a little work in doing it right… GO FOR IT,,,

But if you lack any of the skills, or feel you might of gotten over your head… by all means call a installer!!!

looks like Ive been sensored

well it looks like Ive been edited...

TATE...
your action speak louder than words.....

YOU ALL CAN DO YOUR OWN INSTALLS

ITS NOT ILEGAL>> AND ITS NOT HARD>>>

THE FCC DEREGULATED THIS CLASS OF TX EQUIP. YEARS AGO..
JUST SO A HIGH SCHOOL DROP OUT COULD COME INSTALL YOUR DISH!!!!

I WONDER HOW LONG IT WILL BE BEFORE YOU edit THIS POST...

First off I have no authority to edit anyones post but my own.

I don't even know where to start. What really irritates me is you think I edited you post.

You are going to post the info for the satellite information for everyone to use huh? Go back and read some of my past post I have given plenty of info out to people telling them were satellites are and what direction they will need to be able to see in order to get service. You are just some dope that has just joined this site and decided to try to take some jabs at me because you know everything and I am wrong right. You have no idea what you are talking about in alot of aspects.

You do Dish and Directv right. I deal with Hughes everyday and do jobs you probably would have no idea were to start. I know you are probably good at what you do but when you don't deal with the equipment everyday you are just talking out of you ass when you say the FCC deregulates Hughes so a high school drop out can point the dish, and legally Hughes has to allow you to do your own install if you want. The truth is the FCC says Hughes must have a training coarse that technician must attend and pass a test "this is not monitored by the FCC" and every "EARTHSTATION" has to be pointed by a qualified Hughes technician. Its just like insurance agency's who will not cover a policy on your house if a licenced electrician did not do a remodeling job.

I don't know who edited your post or if it even was edited, but don't go shooting your mouth off when you have no idea what you are talking about. It will not get you far here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)