Disable Front Panel buttons

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rlavinder

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
I am wondering how/if you can disable the front panel buttons on my HR24 &HD24 receivers because my 2 year old son keeps touching them on changing the channel/ powering it off.

Thank you

There's no disable feature. You could tape over the front panel making sure to leave the remote sensor uncovered.

Move the receiver so it's out of his reach.

That is easier said than done when you have an entire entertainment center setup.

As the father of a current 2 1/2 year old, I know exactly what he is talking about. I am on my feet chasing the kid ALL DAY long from item to item. There is no such thing as baby-proofing a house. I don't care what they say.

Do you have any old VCRs or other units not being used? If so, set them so the 2 yr old can push the buttons. Probably have to have them plugged in. Kids love lights!
Maybe try covering the DTV recv'r with a low density weave cloth to obscure the lights.

Reminds me of a tactic used by a fellow worker. His wife was always fooling around with the house thermostat. Made him mad as hell so he installed a fake thermostat and told her how to adjust it. They haven't been married for years!

Last edited:
My son has autism and it is very hard to teach him what he can and can't do. We tell him every time he touches the receiver to not to do it but it takes time for him to learn.

My son has autism and it is very hard to teach him what he can and can't do. We tell him every time he touches the receiver to not to do it but it takes time for him to learn.

That changes everything. Can you move the dvr to where he can't get to it?

No, my tv stand only has shelves below the TV because we have a 60" TV above it. I wish we could because that would be my 1st option.

can you put the RX in a closet/cabinet nearby and use RF control? this would keep him from being able to hit the buttons.

can you put the RX in a closet/cabinet nearby and use RF control? this would keep him from being able to hit the buttons.

Or along those lines, just stick it behind the TV out of his reach - you know you really do NOT need to actually see the receiver itself. ;)
I've done this many times for clients who just didn't have any space on shelves & it actually provided better ventilation than being in a closed cabinet.
Mine are all in my basement & are RARELY seen!

You could make an L shaped cover out of metal. The bottom of the L would go under the feet, the long side would cover the front of the receiver. Paint it black to match the receiver. The nice thing about this is it's easily removed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts