Status
Please reply by conversation.

MN_Vikings

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Bloomington MN
Hello Satellite Guys,

I have been having moderate success with 5 LNB's on my 7.5 ft C-Band Dish. I am however confused about how to set up and maximize the DiSEq 1.0 and DiSEq 1.1 settings on my OpenBox X5 FTA receiver to match my Multi-Switches and DiSEq Switch setup. I’m currently using an OpenBox X5 FTA receiver that is three years old now but is in working order. I also have a Dreambox DM800se receiver and a TBS 6922 PCIe card and a USB DVB box for my windows computer. Any comments or recommendations are appreciated and sorry for the long post..

I’m currently using four Zinwell 6X8 non-powered Multi-Switches which I purchased new off eBay for $14.00 apiece. (See Photo attachment). I was looking for a cheap multi-switch solution that I could use temporarily until can dig a trench and get several RG6 coax feeds and power out to my dish. These Zinwell 6X8 non-powered Multi-Switches connect to 5 LNB’s for a total of 16 RG6 feeds which I’m not sure if my OpenBox X5 FTA receiver can power this many. Does anyone know the max number of LNB’s a modern FTA receiver can power at any one time?

I have since ordered a 17X10 powered Multi-Switch off ebay for $100 so hopefully it will be easier to set up and configure with my receiver. This is a project I’m working on and will write up a post with photos and have to dig a trench from my house to my dish. I have created two diagrams for my setup (See Photo Attachments). One with the four Zinwell 6X8 non-powered Multi-Switches and the other with the 17X10 powered multi-switch. I only plan to use 4 outputs from the Multi-Switches which will feed into four 8x1 DiSEq switches so this was my cheapest route.

I have done multiple internet searches and it is not clear to me if my non-powered "ZINWELL MS6X8WB-Z WideBand 6x8 Ka/Ku MultiSwitches" I purchased off eBay act the same as a regular 4x4 Multi-switch. They are Direct-TV surplus and I have read conflicting posts about these Zinwell 6X8 non-powered Multi-Switches that have two FlexPorts which may or may not work with FTA receiver setup.

Info from DirectTV about the FlexPorts:

*Flexports can only be accessed with latest APG (Advanced Program Guide) satellite receivers. Earlier, non-APG satellite receivers can select the first 4 ports only (101/99/103/110/119W satellites)

*You only need one wire for 95W or 72.5W, then always use Flexport 1 before using Flex-port 2. if 95 and 72.5 are needed connect them to both flex ports. This will reduce system acquisition time.

These Zinwell 6x8 non-powered Multi-switches have two flex ports (Ports 5 and 6) and it is also unclear if these ports are dead or if they are actually live and treated the same as the first 4 ports. Instead of taking the chance of the two flex ports not working and the small cost of the Zinwell 6x8 Multi-Switches I purchased four of them and only using the first 4 ports.

I have seen the same Zinwell 6X8 Multi-switch on several internet FTA store sites and they are marketing them as FTA compatible. They are also marked KU/KA band compatible but I’m using them for C-Band and getting reception. I have also read where I thought I understood where they said all ports on the Zinwell 6X8 non-powered Multi-Switches are always live. So in theory if these were connected to a Direct-TV multi LNB dish all the LNB’s would be powered and connected so all channels on all satellites were always live. (Anyone?)

I have looked the Satellite Guys DiSEq Switches simplified page among other websites and think I understand how to physically hook up DiSEq and Multi-Switches to the LNB’s and to the receiver. I’m unsure how to configure my OpenBox FTA receiver settings to account for the DiESq 1.0 and 1.1 settings and my DiSEq and Multi-Switches

As you can see from the photo attachment the 5 LNB’s ( 16 total individual feeds) feed into four 6x8 Zinwell Multi-Switches which I’m only using the first four ports. From there the four 6x8 Zinwell Multi-witches feed out to four 8x1 DiSEq switches and then feed into four individual receivers.

Please correct me if I’m wrong about my Multi-switch understandings and assumptions….

The modern FTA receiver changes voltage level (18V/13V dc) on the coax to an LNBF in order to select between horizontal and vertical polarity. 13v for Vertical Polarization and 18v for Horizontal. Both C-Band and KU-Band LNB’s both use the 18 and 13 Volt polarity switching.

My Openbox X5 receiver does not have an 18 Volt or 13 Volt polarity setting option but it does have an on and off setting for LNB power. If I understand this correctly when I have the LNB Power setting "On" in my receiver the 18V Horizontal and 13V Vertical is automatic depending on the Port on the Multi-Switch. Some Ports on my Multi-Switches are marked 13V/V and others are marked 18V/H.

The modern FTA receiver changes between C-band and KU-band LNB’s from the 22khz tone. The KU-Band LNB’s use the 22khz tone and C-Band LNB’s use 0 KHZ. (Am I correct on this?)

If I’m assuming this correctly on the receiver when I turn on the 22khz tone the 22khz ports on the Multi-switch are powered on and active and these are the ports where I want to plug in the KU LNB’s? On the receiver when I turn off the 22khz tone the 0khz ports on the Multi-switch are powered on and active, these ports are where I want to plug in the C LNB’s? (Am I correct on this?)

That gets me ask to how to configure my receiver to account for 4 port Multi-Switches assuming My Zinwell Multi-Switches act the same as regular 4 port multi-switches.

I have two standard 4X4 Multi-Switches which I’m not using and the input ports are marked as follows:

LNB A----------LNB B----------LNB C----------LNB D
18V/ 0khz-----13V/0khz------18V/22khz-----13V/22khz

On my non-powered Zinwell 6x8 Multi-Switch input ports are marked as follows

18V----------13V----------18V----------13V----------FlexPort----------FlexPort
-------------------------------22khz-------22khz

I understand that DiSEq 1.2 is for motor control and my receiver is connected to a DiSEq Vbox which powers the actuator and moves the dish and is working. On my receiver I have a setting for DiSEq 1.0 which has "A" " B" "C" "D" or Disabled Settings. On my receiver I have a setting for DiSEq 1.1 and the settings are 1 through 16 or Disable. For my setup I have 16 LNB feeds that go into four Zinwell 6x8 Multi-Switches which then feed into four 8x1 DiSEq switches which each feed into their respective receivers.

Am I assuming correctly the DiSEq 1.0 settings which has "A" " B" "C" "D" is to control the ports on the physical DiSEq switch?

So on my receiver If I set the DiSEq 1.0 settings to "A" it is accessing port "A" on the DiSEq switch?

If I’m assuming the above correctly and If I set the DiSEqC 1.0 settings to A are ports B though D turned off?

I have 8x1 DiSEq swiches, can I assume that my receiver does not support ports 4 through 8 or how are these ports used if DiSEq 1.0 only supports ABCD or 1234? (Anyone?)

On my receiver when I enable DiSEq 1.1 and set it to "1" the DiSEq 1.0 atomically turns from disabled to A so DiSEq 1.1 must be dependent or related to DiSEq 1.0. (Am I correct on this?)

if I’m assuming all the above correctly and If I have my DiSEq 1.0 settings to "A" which is accessing port A on the DiSEq switch which is connected to the Zinwell Multi-Switch. Do I then use the DiSEq 1.1 settings to control which port I’m assessing on the Zinwell Multi-Switch?

For example if I have DiSEq 1.0 settings to "A" which is accessing port A on my 8x1 DiSEq switch and set the DiSEq 1.1 setting to 1. I’m then accessing port A on my DiSEq switch and port 1 on my Zinwell Multi-switch? (Am I correct on this?)

When I remove the 6x8 Zinwell Multi-Switches and install the powered 17x10 Multi-Switch which has one output per receiver. Will I still set the DiSEq 1.0 setting to A on for the DiSEq switch port? Then use the DiSEq 1.1 settings 1 through 16 to access each of the specific 16 unique ports?

Or do I remove the 8x1 DiSEq switch and connect the output from the 17x10 Multi-Switch directly into the receiver and control the 16 ports on the Multi-Switch with the DiSEq 1.1 setting?

OK, If my assumptions above are correct or are close to correct.

When I set my receive r DiSEq 1.0 and DiSEq 1.1 settings both to disable and run a blind scan I still get reception but do not know from which LNB’s (Anyone?) I’m confused about this.

Also, on my receiver when I set DiSEq 1.0 to "A" and DiSEq 1.1 to "Disable" and run a blind scan I get satellite reception but again do not know from which LNB. Am I getting reception from all four LNB’s connected from the four ports on the Zinwell Multi-Switch or only from the first LNB on the first port on the Multi-Switch?

Also, when I run a blind scan I have the option to do a network scan, what does the network option in the blind scan do?

When you mount a C-Band LNB or C/KU LNBF’s there is a skew setting in that you mount them in a certain directional way. Is this the same with the small dish type LNB’s like the ones used for Dish or Direct TV? I have two Invacom quad Circular/Linear LNB’s I would like to mount at 90 degrees to lower the footprint or the size of my LNB’s collection to give the dish more surface to collect the signal.

Any explanations or recommendations would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Satellite3.jpg
    Satellite3.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 1,208
  • Satellite9.jpg
    Satellite9.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 1,253
  • 17X10 Powered Multiswitchjpg.jpg
    17X10 Powered Multiswitchjpg.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,593
  • IMG_20150605_081052.jpg
    IMG_20150605_081052.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 996
  • IMG_20150608_201304.jpg
    IMG_20150608_201304.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 911
  • IMG_20150608_201340_17CS.jpg
    IMG_20150608_201340_17CS.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 859
  • IMG_20150608_201555.jpg
    IMG_20150608_201555.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_20150608_213702_7CS.jpg
    IMG_20150608_213702_7CS.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 4,804
  • IMG_20150608_222728.jpg
    IMG_20150608_222728.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,378
  • ZINWELL MS6X8WB-Z WideBand 6x8 MultiSwitch KaKu..jpg
    ZINWELL MS6X8WB-Z WideBand 6x8 MultiSwitch KaKu..jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 817
Does anyone know the max number of LNB’s a modern FTA receiver can power at any one time?
400 - 500mA is typical , but note that the PCI card and USB tuners may have lower current output. LNBBs and switches use power and each have a operation and higher start-up current draw. It is not good operating practice to run more than a few LNBs on a receiver. Especially with your set-up, the external power for the LNBs is required.

have read conflicting posts about these Zinwell 6X8 non-powered Multi-Switches that have two FlexPorts which may or may not work with FTA receiver setup.
Flex ports are not used with FTA receivers.

My Openbox X5 receiver does not have an 18 Volt or 13 Volt polarity setting option but it does have an on and off setting for LNB power. If I understand this correctly when I have the LNB Power setting "On" in my receiver the 18V Horizontal and 13V Vertical is automatic depending on the Port on the Multi-Switch. Some Ports on my Multi-Switches are marked 13V/V and others are marked 18V/H.
Correct. On your STB, the voltage is not able to be fixed at 13 or 18Vdc. It is either On or Off. If the LNB power is tuned off, the STB will not be able to control the switches and polarities. It will simply tune what it is fed (if switches and LNBFs are powered by other source).

The modern FTA receiver changes between C-band and KU-band LNB’s from the 22khz tone. The KU-Band LNB’s use the 22khz tone and C-Band LNB’s use 0 KHZ. (Am I correct on this?)
No, This is only a switch setting that your C/KU LNBFs use. Your C/KU LNBFs will not play nice with your switches and system. All LNBFs must be dual output for each band (unless band-stacking LNBFs and compatible receivers are used). Single output LNBs are not compatible with multi-switches and allow access to both horizontal and vertical polarity simultaneously to any of the receivers.

If I’m assuming this correctly on the receiver when I turn on the 22khz tone the 22khz ports on the Multi-switch are powered on and active and these are the ports where I want to plug in the KU LNB’s? On the receiver when I turn off the 22khz tone the 0khz ports on the Multi-switch are powered on and active, these ports are where I want to plug in the C LNB’s? (Am I correct on this?)
Not powered on, but rather the path (or flow) from the LNB connected to that port is established (active).

Am I assuming correctly the DiSEq 1.0 settings which has "A" " B" "C" "D" is to control the ports on the physical DiSEq switch?
Yes, will control ports A,B,C,D (1,2,3,4) on a DiSEqC 1.0 or 1.1 switch.

So on my receiver If I set the DiSEq 1.0 settings to "A" it is accessing port "A" on the DiSEq switch?
Yes

If I’m assuming the above correctly and If I set the DiSEqC 1.0 settings to A are ports B though D turned off?
Not turned off, but rather no path is established between the receiver and the LNB.

I have 8x1 DiSEq swiches, can I assume that my receiver does not support ports 4 through 8 or how are these ports used if DiSEq 1.0 only supports ABCD or 1234? (Anyone?)
DiSEqC 1.0 only supports the first 4 ports. DiSEqC 1.1 must be used to access ports 5 and above.

On my receiver when I enable DiSEq 1.1 and set it to "1" the DiSEq 1.0 atomically turns from disabled to A so DiSEq 1.1 must be dependent or related to DiSEq 1.0. (Am I correct on this?)
Yes. Some receivers allow cascading so DiSEqC switches may be stacked and commands issued to open one port then issue another command to open the port on the next switch in line. Combination of DiSEqC 1.0 and DiSEqC 1.1 cascading will allow up to 64 inputs. Add a 22KHz switch and support 128 inputs.

if I’m assuming all the above correctly and If I have my DiSEq 1.0 settings to "A" which is accessing port A on the DiSEq switch which is connected to the Zinwell Multi-Switch. Do I then use the DiSEq 1.1 settings to control which port I’m assessing on the Zinwell Multi-Switch?
I assume that this would create a path for either cascading DiSEqC switches or if only one switch, the DiSEqC 1.1 command would open the port.

For example if I have DiSEq 1.0 settings to "A" which is accessing port A on my 8x1 DiSEq switch and set the DiSEq 1.1 setting to 1. I’m then accessing port A on my DiSEq switch and port 1 on my Zinwell Multi-switch? (Am I correct on this?)
Not sure your recever is advanced enough to set the order that the DiSEqC 1.0 and DiSEqC 1.1 commands are sent. Many PCI and USB tuners are controlled by software that can set the cascade order and even the command timing and repeating.

When I remove the 6x8 Zinwell Multi-Switches and install the powered 17x10 Multi-Switch which has one output per receiver. Will I still set the DiSEq 1.0 setting to A on for the DiSEq switch port? Then use the DiSEq 1.1 settings 1 through 16 to access each of the specific 16 unique ports?
If using only the 17x10 switch, use only the LNB voltage (13/18Vdc), DiSEqc 1.0 or 1.1 and 22KHz settings to establish a path to LNB. For Example: the fist LNB port will be accessed by LNB voltage = 13Vdc, DiSEqC 1.0 or 1.1 = A (1) and 22KHz = OFF. The second LNB port will be accessed by LNB voltage = 18Vdc, DiSEqC 1.0 or 1.1 = A (1) and 22KHz = OFF. The third LNB port will be accessed by LNB voltage = 13Vdc, DiSEqC 1.0 or 1.1 = A (1) and 22KHz = ON. The fourth LNB port will be accessed by LNB voltage = 18Vdc, DiSEqC 1.0 or 1.1 = A (1) and 22KHz = ON. The fifth LNB port will be accessed by LNB voltage = 13Vdc, DiSEqC 1.0 or 1.1 = B (2) and 22KHz = OFF.... etc.

Or do I remove the 8x1 DiSEq switch and connect the output from the 17x10 Multi-Switch directly into the receiver and control the 16 ports on the Multi-Switch with the DiSEq 1.1 setting?
Yes

When I set my receive r DiSEq 1.0 and DiSEq 1.1 settings both to disable and run a blind scan I still get reception but do not know from which LNB’s (Anyone?) I’m confused about this.
Whatever path to an LNB is open is feeding the signal. This may be the last established path or it may reset to the default 22KHz off, DiSEqC 1.1 - A (1), DiSEqC 1.1 - A (1). Depends on the switch....

Also, on my receiver when I set DiSEq 1.0 to "A" and DiSEq 1.1 to "Disable" and run a blind scan I get satellite reception but again do not know from which LNB. Am I getting reception from all four LNB’s connected from the four ports on the Zinwell Multi-Switch or only from the first LNB on the first port on the Multi-Switch?
No, only from the one path to one LNB (and maybe only one polarity if using the C/KU LNBFs).

Also, when I run a blind scan I have the option to do a network scan, what does the network option in the blind scan do?
Network Scan references changes in the network table and only updates the services with changes. This is not widely used with FTA in North America.

When you mount a C-Band LNB or C/KU LNBF’s there is a skew setting in that you mount them in a certain directional way. Is this the same with the small dish type LNB’s like the ones used for Dish or Direct TV? I have two Invacom quad Circular/Linear LNB’s I would like to mount at 90 degrees to lower the footprint or the size of my LNB’s collection to give the dish more surface to collect the signal.
Circular polarity LNBFs could be mounted at any skew, but the linear LNBF probes must be correctly set. BTW... the more feedhorns stacked out front, the less signal will be collected and reflected (because of the shadow effect)... :(

Last edited:
Problem that I see is the dual band/single output LNBF's will be stuck on whichever polarity they are connected to on the multiswitch. Will be unable to select the other polarity via the receiver.

Reactions: Titanium
400 - 500mA is typical , but note that the PCI card and USB tuners may have lower current output. LNBBs and switches use power and each have a operation and higher start-up current draw. It is not good operating practice to run more than a few LNBs on a receiver. Especially with your set-up, the external power for the LNBs is required.

Flex ports are not used with FTA receivers... :(

Titanium,

I appreciate your time and detailed response to my Satellite Guys DiSEqC 1.0 or DiSEqC 1.1 receiver setting questions.. After reading your responce and the wiki for DiEqC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DiSEqC

Just trying to understand but is DiSEqC 1.1 an upgrade to DiSEqC 1.0 or does 1.1 work in conjunction 1.0 or suppose to replace it?

From the wiki page..

•DiSEqC 1.0, which allows switching between up to 4 satellite sources
•DiSEqC 1.1, which allows switching between up to 16 sources

If I have more than four LNB's should I just disable DiSEqC 1.0 in my receiver settings only use DiSEqC 1.1?
In the photo attachment for the 17x10 Multi-Switch It almost seems like they have the 16 LNB ports broken up into 4 banks of four sets.

Would you know if the DiSEqC 1.1 settings would just control these ports by the 1 through 16 settings or would I need to use for example use DiSEqC 1.0 for Sat System A then use the DiSEqC 1.1 setting to control/receive from A--B--C--D--?

I will not be using the terrestrial input and only the 16 LNB inputs and four outputs on the 17x10 Multi-Switch.

Sat System A-----Sat System B-----Sat System C-----Sat System D
A--B--C--D--------A--B--C--D------A--B--C--D--------A--B--C--D

Useful information
•Multiswitches are controlled by receiver using analog and DiSEqC 1.0 commands:
*command sent by receiver
*selected sat. system

input

13 V, 0 kHz, DiSEqC A (1) A A
18 V, 0 kHz, DiSEqC A (1) B
13 V, 22 kHz, DiSEqC A (1) C
18 V, 22 kHz, DiSEqC A (1) D
13 V, 0 kHz, DiSEqC B (2) B A
18 V, 0 kHz, DiSEqC B (2) B
13 V, 22 kHz, DiSEqC B (2) C
18 V, 22 kHz, DiSEqC B (2) D
13 V, 0 kHz, DiSEqC C (2) C A
18 V, 0 kHz, DiSEqC C (2) B
13 V, 22 kHz, DiSEqC C (2) C
18 V, 22 kHz, DiSEqC C (2) D
13 V, 0 kHz, DiSEqC D (2) D A
18 V, 0 kHz, DiSEqC D (2) B
13 V, 22 kHz, DiSEqC D (2) C
18 V, 22 kHz, DiSEqC D (2) D

•Multiswitches are not compatible with Monoblock LNBs
•If higher than available number of user outputs is required, simply use two multiswitches instead of one, routing LNB outputs via signal splitters
•Terminate all unused outputs by 75 ohm loads, if terrestrial band is used
•A suitable cascadable unit can be placed before to extend the number of available outputs

Thanks, Tom

Attachments

• 17X10 Powered Multiswitchjpg.jpg
    17X10 Powered Multiswitchjpg.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 513
DiSEqC 1.1 is an extension of 1.0. They can be used separately to control a single switch or together if multiple switches are cascaded.

Your 17x10 multi-switch only supports 4 DiSEqC positions. You may use the first four positions of either DiSEqC 1.0 or 1.1.

Your 17x10 multi-switch supports 8 dual output standard type LO (example: 10750) LNBFs or 4 dual output universal type LO (example:9750/10600). It does not support single output LNBFs.

The 16 satellite ports on this 17x1 multi-switch cannot be individually addressed using DiSEqC 1.1. They do make switches that allow each input to be individually addressed via a DiSEqC command, but this switch is not that type. It uses 4 DiSEqC, 2 voltage and 2 22KHz commands to access each of the 16 ports (4x2x2=16).

Last edited:
Titanium,

I currently have:
2 - INVACOM QPH-031 Quad Polar Circular&Linear LNB's.
2 - NS741U C\Ku Universal Band LNBF's (For each of these LNBF's there is individual C and KU output).
1 - C-Band Quad output LNB.

If I understand you correctly my 2 - "NS741U C\Ku Universal Band LNB's" will not work with my 17x10 Multi-Switch. Would you then recommend running RG6 feeds from each C and KU output to a DiSEqC switch? I would then also run a feed from the 17x10 Multi-Switch the other LNB's are connected to which would be plugged into the DiSEqC switch and then to the receiver. I also have the Zinwell 6x8 switches I could also use so would these also be incompatible with the C\Ku Universal Band LNBF's? I cannot return any of my LNB's or switches and at this point I'm just trying to maximize my LNB Multi-switch setup. Another question about my receiver settings, there is also a setting called Tone Burst Mode. Should I be using this setting and when?

Thanks Again
Thanks

Attachments

• INVACOM QPH-031 Quad Polar LNB DSS + FTA Satellite Circular&Linear HD Ready.png
    INVACOM QPH-031 Quad Polar LNB DSS + FTA Satellite Circular&Linear HD Ready.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 434
  • C-Band LNB Quad Output.jpg
    C-Band LNB Quad Output.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 753
  • NS741U C-Ku Universal Ku Band.png
    NS741U C-Ku Universal Ku Band.png
    273.5 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_20150608_213702_7CS.jpg
    IMG_20150608_213702_7CS.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 485
Unfortunately...... The NS741C-KU Universal C/KU LNBF even complicates things more! This combo C/KU LNBF will NEVER simultaneously provide both polarities to all receivers. It will be locked to one polarity on C-band and one polarity on KU band IF you hook it up just right! On top of this bad news, the KU port of the LNBF must be connected to one of the 22KHz -ON ports of the 17x10 switch to access a single polarity of the correct high KU band, which is used for North America transponders.

The NS741U C-KU can only access both polarities when connected to one receiver. Honestly, attempting to use the NS741U C-K LNBF with the 17x10 switch will only bring you pain, anguish and nightmares. Use the NS741U C-KU for what it was designed for, a single receiver using 2 ports of a DiSEqC switch. Zinwell 6x8 switches will not be 100% compatible either.

To cover almost all formats to feed your receivers, I would recommend:

1. C-Band LNBF dual output for linear polarity (or use your current quad)
1. C-band LNBF dual output with dielectric insert for circular polarity (optional)
1. QPF-031 Linear/Circular LNB with ADF-120 Feedhorn/Scalar (or use your current QPF-031)

I really don't understand why so many LNBFs are being mounted on the dish. Maybe you could let me know what you wish to receive and what the reasons are for all of the offset LNBFs? Similtaneously receive different satellites? If so, what combinations?

Titanium,

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

As far as to all the LNB's I was just trying to cover all my bases and have LNB's that could receive linear, circular, C-band and K-band with being spaced out and able to get signals for 2 or 3 satellites close together on the arc at one time. In other words I really don't know what I'm doing and made a rookie mistake and wasted a bunch of money :) I understand what you are saying about the NS741C-KU Universal C/KU LNBF in that they cannot be plugged into the Multi-Switch and be part of the LNB group. My New plan is to use 1 C-Band Quad Output and a maybe one or two QPF-031 Linear/Circular Quad ouput LNBs plugged ino the 17x 10 Multi-Switch. If you have not had a chance to see one but those QPF-031 Linear/Circular Quad ouput LNBs are huge and twice the size of DirectTV / Dish Network LNB's.

I spent the last three days drilling a hole into a concrete slab in a three season porch and digging a 27 foot trench out to my dish from the hole. This included digging a trench under a 7 foot wide sidewalk and it took everything I had but i finally did it in the 90 degree heat. I'm going to put all my RG6 coax cables and power out to my dish underground in one inch grey PVC. I might run a few extra RG6 cables in case I set up a second dish or maybe move my dish network dish from the side of the house over next to the big dish.

Monday or Tuesday I'm going to pull the wire through the PVC out to the dish and fill in the hole. I even bought I 12x13 inch waterproof electrical box to mount on the pole to to put in the powered switch and electrical RG6 connections. I almost forgot about grounding so just ordered a grounding block. What is your opinion on those Inline RG6 Coax Cable Surge Protector Suppressors. I just found some on ebay for $5.00 a piece.

Attachments

• IMG_20150609_174349.jpg
    IMG_20150609_174349.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_20150609_174355.jpg
    IMG_20150609_174355.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 444
  • IMG_20150614_195428.jpg
    IMG_20150614_195428.jpg
    883.8 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_20150614_195435.jpg
    IMG_20150614_195435.jpg
    930.6 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_20150614_195455.jpg
    IMG_20150614_195455.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_20150614_195456.jpg
    IMG_20150614_195456.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_20150614_195514.jpg
    IMG_20150614_195514.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_20150614_195533.jpg
    IMG_20150614_195533.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_20150614_195549.jpg
    IMG_20150614_195549.jpg
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_20150614_195559.jpg
    IMG_20150614_195559.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_20150614_195618.jpg
    IMG_20150614_195618.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_20150614_195631.jpg
    IMG_20150614_195631.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_20150614_195751.jpg
    IMG_20150614_195751.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_20150614_195814.jpg
    IMG_20150614_195814.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
3 suggestions:

1: ALWAYS install extra coax's right away. Some for spares in case one goes bad in some way, and some extra coax's for things you later decide to do, you don't think about now.
2: Don't fill in the hole before connecting everything up and testing it to make sure all works.
3: Make SURE all holes/cracks in your outside hub box are plugged well enough that mice can't get in. Make sure you always secure the lid tightly. I just looked in my hub box for the first time in 6 months, and mice made a nest, and chewed off the outer layer for a lot of my coax lines. It hasn't caused any electrical issues YET, but who knows? I now have it sealed better, and they can't get in for sure. The holes were only the size of a pencil, but apparently that's large enough for a mouse.

Wow!!! More digging than I would ever want to do! Agree with primestar31, Definitely test all systems before closing the trench. In addition, leave a cord in the conduit in case anything else needs to be pulled through in the future.

I wouldn't install inline coax surge protectors. They add signal loss and have little benefit. In my opinion, they are in the same category as snake oil and tonics. :D

Ground the dish / switches and bond to structure ground. No need for additional ground blocks.

MN_Vikings, I was wondering if you have received a satellite signal from each of your LNBFs in their current arrangement? From your photos, it looks like you have 4 feeds arranged in a circular fashion around the feed at the prime focus. The dish reflects the satellite arc like a mirror, so to pick up multiple satellites the feeds need to be arranged in somewhat of a line that is a reflection of this arc. Is your layout working for you?

As for all your switches, just reading it makes my head spin.

Don't accidentally bury one of those cats in that cave under the sidewalk, your wife may divorce you. :D

Reactions: FTA4PA
If you have not had a chance to see one but those QPF-031 Linear/Circular Quad ouput LNBs are huge and twice the size of DirectTV / Dish Network LNB's.

Yes, very familiar with these LNBFs. I actually helped develop the QPF-031 and QPH-031 many years ago for the North American market! :)

Here is the thread where I first introduced it to the world via SatelliteGuys in 2005:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/invacom-combined-circular-and-linear-lnbf-qph-031.29492/

lost_mesa,

I know I was getting reception from multiple satallites and had rearranged the LNB's several times. I do not know from which LNB I was getting reception and everything is unplugged until my cable is burried. I will attempt to put the LNB's in a line when I reinstall everything

KE4EST,

Funny you mention that and the cats love that hole and they are a muddy mess everytime they come in the house. No wife just me. :)

I wanted to get the wires pulled through the grey PVC tonight and fill in the hole before my grass dies. I was measuring the RG6 out and just discovered I'm short at least 200ft. I got in the internet and ordered a 500ft spool for $40 which should be enough for the rest of my project. So it looks like the hole is going to be there until the weekend...

I'm in the same boat as Lost Mesa with the switches, I read through the posts yesterday and my head felt like it was going to explode. I didn't really understand the need for that level of complexity with the switches, for five LNBs? Even if they were dual output, that's only ten ports needed?

If the receiver is the problem, I think I'd replace the receiver before going through all that, or if it's a matter of hooking to multiple TV's, then a RF modulator and a RF remote is what I did here, although the output of my modulators are only SD, still looks good though.

I have one Ku dish with three LNBs on it, the C dish, four other dishes all running through a 8x1 switch and some of the LNBs are dual and feeding another receiver hooked to a RF modulator. I did have another switch in there and a few more dishes but I'm moving everything to the other side of my yard right now so it's all coming apart a dish at a time at the moment. What is the gain/reason for all of these expensive switches? What am I missing here?

Like the supervisors! [cats] :)

Update,

It has been a few months since I updated my post but here are some photos of my C-band dish and wiring project and the many expensive mistakes I have made. As it turns out the 17x 10 Multi-Switch will only work with Quattro LNB's and not quad LNB's. Anyone want to make me an offer for two 17x 10 Quattro Multi-Switches? Supposedly they will work with a C-band LNB but I could not get it to work I have since switched over to 22KHZ and 8x1 DiSEqC switches. My cell phone also died so when I get it replaced I will take more updated photos of my project. I have also since replaced my vbox dish mover with the Titanium ASC1 mover. So far I have been able to track most of the entire arc with good signal but cannot get a signal from any satellites eastward of 72W. Does anyone know if there is anything on 70 west or anything east of this that is worthwhile receiving? I'm in Minnesota and cannot receive anything from 70W and Lyngsat says the broadcast is to South America. Right now I'm only using the single C/KU LNBF until I'm satisfied I cannot fine tune the dish any better then I will connect the 4 other LNB's from on a separate receiver to see how it all works.

P1080299.JPG P1080300.JPG P1080303.JPG P1080305.JPG P1080315.JPG P1080318.JPG P1080319.JPG P1080321.JPG P1080322.JPG P1080324.JPG P1080327.JPG P1080332.JPG P1080335.JPG P1080336.JPG P1080340.JPG P1080346.JPG

First off: Wow that's some setup you have there.Looks professional to me. :thumbup

I get nothing on 70 W on my 7.5 dish here in Virginia.I've tried several times.Maybe some guys with larger dishes can get some out of footprint.
I can't check right now.I got growled at when I touched the remote.;) But the following is an approximation: Next Sat that I have found anything on is 58W (IntelSat 21). About 35 channels there: most in Spanish, 4 or 5 in Italian,3 or 4 in French.NHK has some English...the only channel that I watch there to date.

Next Sat I get is 55.5 W (IntelSat 805) Only get like 5 or 6 channels ... my dish is losing the arc that far over.There are several more that I'm missing,most are Spanish I think.Several Peruvian channels there are high on my 'want' list for mama.

My actuator will not go farther East.I rarely go East of 78W because my actuator messes up counts on that side.

Almost forgot to post these photos. Running the RG6 Coax wire through the 1 inch Grey PVC conduit. Ended up running 14 RG6 Coax runs along with a 12-2 power wire out to the dish. I then ended up burying the Grey PVC and planted grass seed and now you cannot tell I dug the trench out to the dish. No cats were harmed during the dish wiring project...

IMG_20150623_194303.jpg IMG_20150623_194325.jpg IMG_20150623_194337.jpg IMG_20150623_194402.jpg IMG_20150624_065801.jpg IMG_20150624_065902.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics. Nice Job!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.