GEOSATpro Diseqc switches losing ports

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Elchucko

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Full time RVer
I know that it is essential to disconnect the power from a receiver before making any diseqc switch changes and have made sure that I follow this rule but I have lost ports on two different diseqc switches that I have had connected to my MicroHD.

I think that the culprit is the power connector on the back. Often when plugging it back in, I will see sparks flying. I suspect this is when the ports have been blown.

In the future, I intend to remove power by disconnecting the wall wart and never connect/disconnect from the rear power connector.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Powering the microHD via the radial jack is no different than flicking a switch. Powering the microHD is not causing the switch failure. A power path is simply being established and 12vdc flows to the receiver. There is a regulating IC providing the power to the SAT IN connection. There is no grounding path with the DC power and no power surge.

The spark is typical when closing a circuit on 12VDC/2amp supply powering a STB plus any connected devices.

Is it the same ports failing? Same brand of switches?

I would be interested to find what is connected to the ports and the draw of the device and total of all coaxial power draw.

These were two old switches, one a cheap Sadoun and the other I can't remember and have already thrown it away. I have various old 10750 LNBFs that I have used, plus an Invacom QPH-031. Although I can't be for sure, I believe the ports that have blown have been the one that was last in use.

Glad to know that the spark wasn't the culprit. Nevertheless, I am changing my procedure to eliminate it happening in the future!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)