GEOSATpro Diseqc switches losing ports

Elchucko

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Full time RVer
I know that it is essential to disconnect the power from a receiver before making any diseqc switch changes and have made sure that I follow this rule but I have lost ports on two different diseqc switches that I have had connected to my MicroHD.

I think that the culprit is the power connector on the back. Often when plugging it back in, I will see sparks flying. I suspect this is when the ports have been blown.

In the future, I intend to remove power by disconnecting the wall wart and never connect/disconnect from the rear power connector.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Powering the microHD via the radial jack is no different than flicking a switch. Powering the microHD is not causing the switch failure. A power path is simply being established and 12vdc flows to the receiver. There is a regulating IC providing the power to the SAT IN connection. There is no grounding path with the DC power and no power surge.

The spark is typical when closing a circuit on 12VDC/2amp supply powering a STB plus any connected devices.

Is it the same ports failing? Same brand of switches?

I would be interested to find what is connected to the ports and the draw of the device and total of all coaxial power draw.

These were two old switches, one a cheap Sadoun and the other I can't remember and have already thrown it away. I have various old 10750 LNBFs that I have used, plus an Invacom QPH-031. Although I can't be for sure, I believe the ports that have blown have been the one that was last in use.

Glad to know that the spark wasn't the culprit. Nevertheless, I am changing my procedure to eliminate it happening in the future!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts