Diseqc Switching Problems (Twinhan VP-1020A)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Spine

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Hello All,

I have always had diseqc switching problems with my Twinhan VP-1020A DVB card and have found the problem (through the mytheatre boards) is the power supply not being designed properly and the 22khz pulses become very noisy when the power supply becomes heavily loaded.

My Coolsat 6000 worked fine as well up untill a couple weeks ago and I am starting to see the same sort of problem, where certain lnbs are more likely to cause the switch to stick and not switch off. I think it has something to do with the lnbs possibly drawing more current now that the cold weather is here?

Anyways what I want to do is to separately power the lnbs so that my receivers are not dealing with the load. I noticed some 3x4 multiswitches have optional 18v DC inputs and I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what happens when the 18v is connected into one of these switches. Also, when there is no power supply connected, and more than one receiver to one lnb, what receiver powers the lnbs?

Unfortunately I cannot shorten my cable lengths and I have tried different lnbs and many diseqc switches.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Mike

I noticed some 3x4 multiswitches have optional 18v DC inputs and I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what happens when the 18v is connected into one of these switches.
the 18v is a external power supply
Also, when there is no power supply connected, and more than one receiver to one lnb, what receiver powers the lnbs?
whatever receiver is on powers the LNB. As long as its in standby mode, there is power going to the LNB :)

Thanks for the fast reply Iceberg.

I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been. I know the 18v is the external supply. When an external 18v is hooked up to this switch, does this power supply provide the power (the 18v and 13v) to the H and V lnbs attached to it, or does it simply power the switch or internal components only, and still use the receiver to provide the power to the 13v and 18v lnbs?

Also, when two receivers are connected to the 3x4 switch, and they are both requesting the H lnb, which receiver is providing the power for the H lnb? Are they both sharing the load or does the switch take preference somehow?

Basically, I think I need a solution where all my lnbs are powered all the time by the switches (even when no receivers are connected) so that the only thing drawing current from my receivers power supplies is the length of cable and not the lnbs themselves.

Thanks for the fast reply Iceberg.

I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been. I know the 18v is the external supply. When an external 18v is hooked up to this switch, does this power supply provide the power (the 18v and 13v) to the H and V lnbs attached to it, or does it simply power the switch or internal components only, and still use the receiver to provide the power to the 13v and 18v lnbs?

Also, when two receivers are connected to the 3x4 switch, and they are both requesting the H lnb, which receiver is providing the power for the H lnb? Are they both sharing the load or does the switch take preference somehow?

Basically, I think I need a solution where all my lnbs are powered all the time by the switches (even when no receivers are connected) so that the only thing drawing current from my receivers power supplies is the length of cable and not the lnbs themselves.

Using Zinwell Sam-4803 4X8 multiswitches and they have their own external power supply. With no receiver powered on, both sides of all LNBs have power. The only power source available is the external power supplies!!!

Signal levels increased when these were installed.

Just to follow up:

I e-mailed the people at EMP-Centauri about their 3x4 multiswitch that has external 18v power supply and this is what they said about it:

"when the 18V socket is not used, LNBs are powered through the multiswitch from connected satellite receivers. If power supply of a connected satellite receiver is overloaded, you can use an external +18V DC power supply to provide enough power into the connected LNBs.
LNBs can be powered through both satellite inputs of the multiswitch, horizontal input provides +18V DC voltage and vertical input provides +12V DC."

On the MyTheatre forums there was one member (might be a member here as well) who posted information about modifying a diseqc switch by adding two capacitors to create a filter to filter off noise going to the switch. I have done this to a diseqc switch for use on my Twinhan 1020a and it solved my switching problems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Unitymotion and amc3 tp 24 (12180)

Can I use a Diplexer to

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)