Dish 50.0 (Voice remote)

Watch, everyone will get excited to get the 50 then not like the touch pad or lack of actual number buttons then rummage through the trash to pull out the 52's they threw out! <sarcasm>

Be careful what you ask for as they say. Voice search may not be all it is cracked up to be, especially if you're looking for 'alternative specs' on the Hopper. All kinds of fun. :eek

My H3 installer said he's had the voice remote for a while and said he didn't care for it, so it's possible it's not all what it's cracked up to be. I personally am liking the 52.0 remote.

Reactions: Tron2012
My H3 installer said he's had the voice remote for a while and said he didn't care for it, so it's possible it's not all what it's cracked up to be. I personally am liking the 52.0 remote.

I believe it. It's not going to be for everyone. In fact I bet very few people even get them. The voice remote is one thing I would probably wait on but since I love trying new equipment and discussing it on here I'll probably end up getting one the first day. lol

Reactions: charlesrshell
The voice features may be decent but touch pads never seem to work as well as physical buttons.

I'm betting that will be the polarizing aspect of the 50...is it worth putting up with a touchpad just to have the voice search option. Of course, that's assuming the voice search works as well as it did at the CES demos. As much as they touted the voice search, I was kinda surprised that the voice capability wasn't included in the 52 remote as well, to be honest.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm betting that will be the polarizing aspect of the 50...is it worth putting up with a touchpad just to have the voice search option. Of course, that's assuming the voice search works as well as it did at the CES demos. As much as they touted the voice search, I was kinda surprised it wasn't included in the 52, to be honest.

I'm sure there are still some major bugs with it yet. It was more important to roll out the Hopper 3 than the remote.

Reactions: Foxbat
I'm sure there are still some major bugs with it yet. It was more important to roll out the Hopper 3 than the remote.

I know that's why the 50 remote didn't release with the H3...what I was saying is that I was surprised that the 52 remote didn't have the same voice search capability built in as the 50 remote will have, as much as Dish was touting voice search capabilities.

I know that's why the 50 remote didn't release with the H3...what I was saying is that I was surprised that the 52 remote didn't have the same voice search capability built in as the 50 remote will have, as much as Dish was touting voice search capabilities.

I believe the reason is because Dish's main focus was to have a remote that is smaller with fewer buttons for the average customer. The majority of Dish's customers don't want a voice remote or anything fancy like that. Dish wants the Hopper 3 to be the receiver that every customer has, not just the hardcore users like us.

I believe the reason is because Dish's main focus was to have a remote that is smaller with fewer buttons for the average customer. The majority of Dish's customers don't want a voice remote or anything fancy like that. Dish wants the Hopper 3 to be the receiver that every customer has, not just the hardcore users like us.
And then they institute the per tuner fee, and reveal you can reduce that fee by deactivating some of the tuners.

Anyway, maybe the delay is due to the voice feature only understanding a Denvish accent. ;)

The Rolls Kinhardly I just bought came with the wing flapping hood ornament. Later in the year, they'll bring out the rotating, retractable hood ornament. I think they should retrofit me for free.

Reactions: Foxbat and DWS44
Truth is that remotes, like a lot of other things, will always be a personal preference type of product. No one will make a perfect remote loved by all which I know we all agree on. Dish seems to be at least trying to make these two more compact and minimalistic in design and function for the very reasons some posted here. Less complex for the average user and to also compliment the new H3 and user interface.

The 40 is too overwhelming and bulky for probably 95% of their customers (I personally do use it a lot) but still an option for those that like it. The 50/52 offers touch for those technically hip "swipers" or buttons in that same easier to hold design. Agree that they should have incorporated voice search into both. Then the difference between the two is more of an even trade-off. Same basic remote, just one with touch and one with buttons for those who don't like or can't use a touch pad. :facepalm

Then those 5% customers like most of use can use our fancy Harmony or other universal remote devices. Heck, I think we all know people who would be ecstatic with just a 5 button remote: power, channel up/down, volume up/down...

At least they should offer a discount for existing customers.

We don't know that they won't. As far as we know they may offer them to us for free if we ask. Even if they say there is a charge I would just call Dish and say how you thought you were getting the voice remote when you got the Hopper 3 and you would've waited had you know it wasn't.

If they don't then oh well, it's just an accessory. If you want it then buy it.

They are preparing h3 for two years and alot of bugs to be fixed still and they think h3 is ready for primetime? Then I can't imagine how the voice control and touch screen are doing :) thank you and i pass. I am happy with my harmony remote and 40.