Dish 50.0 (Voice remote)

Here is what I believe is happening with all these people report issues with the H3.

You got a new toy, you want to play with it and see all the new things it can do. Images aren't showing lets reboot. Download stops and has to restart. That still didn't do it lets do another reboot. Still not working. I will just reboot it everyday until it works. Software and data never gets to finish downloading because you keep stopping it and not letting it finish. You end up with corrupt downloads. You blame it on DISH for releasing a poorly tested system. Leave the thing alone. Let it do its thing. Mine was installed yesterday at 10:30 in the morning, by 3pm everything was downloaded and setup. All logos, all images everything. I have not had any lockups. No sound drops nothing. It works as it should. Its a computer it has to download all the way or you will have issues.

Here is what I believe is happening with all these people report issues with the H3.

You got a new toy, you want to play with it and see all the new things it can do. Images aren't showing lets reboot. Download stops and has to restart. That still didn't do it lets do another reboot. Still not working. I will just reboot it everyday until it works. Software and data never gets to finish downloading because you keep stopping it and not letting it finish. You end up with corrupt downloads. You blame it on DISH for releasing a poorly tested system. Leave the thing alone. Let it do its thing. Mine was installed yesterday at 10:30 in the morning, by 3pm everything was downloaded and setup. All logos, all images everything. I have not had any lockups. No sound drops nothing. It works as it should. Its a computer it has to download all the way or you will have issues.

I think people are excited and impatient as well. I haven't had any reboots or the need to reboot. All logos downloaded for me within 2 hours of my install yesterday, and I am going to check if everything else is populated today. I am sure a lot of info has to be downloaded, so I agree that the system just needs time.

I am only having problems with apps, and for now its no big deal to me, I will just wait until they are fixed.

I still don't understand why he had to reset his receiver twice a day. If it needs to be reset after trying to use apps then stop using the apps until they are available. Seems pretty simple.

I tried using the sports multi-screen app and had to reset my receiver. I haven't tried using it yet. I may try it again another day. I have tried the Netflix app yet since I know it isn't ready so no need to waste my time.

I still don't understand why he had to reset his receiver twice a day. If it needs to be reset after trying to use apps then stop using the apps until they are available. Seems pretty simple.

I tried using the sports multi-screen app and had to reset my receiver. I haven't tried using it yet. I may try it again another day. I have tried the Netflix app yet since I know it isn't ready so no need to waste my time.
I honestly think he just wants to complain. He just needs to let the system do its thing. Yeah there may be lilt bugs here and there but not "I have to reset my Hopper 2 times a day" bugs.

PS I had the sports app lock me up once. Tried it again tonight and seems to work fine for me now.

Reactions: bobvick
Also every time I put the hopper in standby about a minute later it goes to this
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1454806895.103660.jpg

So you know there is a lot to download.

From Dish.com website:
"New customers* will receive the Hopper Remote with Voice®, complete with large lighted touchpad and the latest voice-recognition technology. Simply glide over the touchpad or speak any voice-activated command for complete control over your TV and DVR. Plus, the handy "locate remote" function emits noises and flashing lights when activated, ensuring that TV time is always quality time.
*Existing customers can upgrade their remotes for $49."

"Its simplified design sports chrome highlights and red striping while offering a total of 19 buttons on the top and 7 on the sides."

Last edited:
I honestly think he just wants to complain. He just needs to let the system do its thing. Yeah there may be lilt bugs here and there but not "I have to reset my Hopper 2 times a day" bugs.

PS I had the sports app lock me up once. Tried it again tonight and seems to work fine for me now.
where is the sports bar?

I hear you but I seriously doubt that $49 would get us more than 1.
Also, this is only advertised as being an included Hopper 3 accessory - at least at this time. The new remote has only 19 buttons on the face,and 7 on the side while the current Hopper 3 remote has (by my count) 35 on top, 4 on the side. Except for voice usage, it sounds like even more key presses to get from here to there.

Last edited:
$49 bucks!! For a remote ? Personally I'm not a fan on this current remote with my hopper 3. I'll kindly ask Dish to give it to me for $20. If they don't get enough people to buy it, they'll lower it down . How is it worth $49 bucks?

$49 bucks!! For a remote ? Personally I'm not a fan on this current remote with my hopper 3. I'll kindly ask Dish to give it to me for $20. If they don't get enough people to buy it, they'll lower it down . How is it worth $49 bucks?
We might disagree with what it's worth, but like any other retail product, that's the published price. I suspect that there will be many others who will race to buy it. Dish isn't going to give it to us for 1/2 the given price because we don't like it. Try walking into the local Target and "make them an offer". Look at some of the Universal Remotes out there that are in the $300 to $500 range: ridiculous! (IMHO) but apparently there are enough consumers that disagree cuz they are still selling for those absurd prices. $49 actually seems pretty reasonable for a "Voice Remote" with these capabilities. Check out the Logitech Harmony remotes prices sometime.

Last edited:
We might disagree with what it's worth, but like any other retail product, that's the published price. I suspect that there will be many others who will race to buy it. Dish isn't going to give it to us for 1/2 the given price because we don't like it. Look at some of the Universal Remotes out there that are in the $300 to $500 range: ridiculous! (IMHO) but apparently there are enough consumers that disagree cuz they are still selling for those absurd prices. Try walking into your local Target and make them an offer!
If you are not a fan of the current Hopper 3 remote, then you probably won't care much for the new Voice Remote at any price when it becomes available.. It only has 19 buttons on top, 7 on the side while the current remote has something like 35 buttons on top. 4 on the side.

Much like SIRI, or Voice in the car (doesn't matter which brand). There will be times you love voice, and time you hate it. I was trying to get SIRI to understand some names. I was trying to get directions to a street called Pawnee (pronounced PAW-KNEE). It couldn't get it no matter how many times I tried to understand me, maybe it was me, I don't know. However both remotes work well, though right now the 40.0 has a slight advantage over the 52.0 in the fact that I can run my Blu-Ray player, TV, and Receiver from it. With the 52.0 the Blu-Ray player is out due to it missing that button. I haven't found anything the 52.0 can do that the 40.0 can't, but I have found some things the 40.0 can do that the 52.0 can't.

In the end when it becomes available, I would like to try a voice remote. I would bet if I called Dish and got a hold of the right person, I could get one free, not because I threaten them, or complain, etc. but because I have found that for the most part Dish has been more than fair with me over the past 15 years.

Much like SIRI, or Voice in the car (doesn't matter which brand). There will be times you love voice, and time you hate it. I was trying to get SIRI to understand some names. I was trying to get directions to a street called Pawnee (pronounced PAW-KNEE). It couldn't get it no matter how many times I tried to understand me, maybe it was me, I don't know. However both remotes work well, though right now the 40.0 has a slight advantage over the 52.0 in the fact that I can run my Blu-Ray player, TV, and Receiver from it. With the 52.0 the Blu-Ray player is out due to it missing that button. I haven't found anything the 52.0 can do that the 40.0 can't, but I have found some things the 40.0 can do that the 52.0 can't.

In the end when it becomes available, I would like to try a voice remote. I would bet if I called Dish and got a hold of the right person, I could get one free, not because I threaten them, or complain, etc. but because I have found that for the most part Dish has been more than fair with me over the past 15 years.
At best they might say "yes", worst case, "No" but they can't say a thing if you don't ask first :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)