Dish 500 Dish Garage sale find, now how to use it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

laseradam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2006
Goshen, OH
I got a Dish 500 dish with 2 dish lnbs and some kind of switch for $5.00 at a garage sale. I allready have a dish pointed to amc3 and amc4. I remember someone saying a Dish 500 dish and FTA lnb could pick up 3ABN on AMC4 and there was some talk about using it for receiving some free to air radio stations. If I could use it for AMC4 maybe I could swing the other dish around to G10 and get some locals? Or should I just use it for parts?

What do you guys think?
What have you used a Dish 500 Dish for?

If the LNB's can be removed separately, then it will work for the rdaio stations on 91 and the audio on 119.

I used a Phase II (little bigger than a Dish500) and a KU LNB and can get AMC4 with the really strong signals (3ABN & KUIL TV). The other signals are none or minimal. The DIsh 500 would be too much of a pain to try and get KU on (even the strong signals) because there is no LNB that is right down the barrel of the Dish arm. The Phase II the middle lNB is :)

Iceberg, assuming you're using one of those Ku LNBFs that have the same form factor as a DBS LNBF, how do you skew the middle Ku LNBF on your Phase II (or do you?) I know the dish itself can be skewed in order to adjust elevation to the three satellites, but wouldn't you also need to skew the linear LNBF for 101w? I guess it wouldn't matter as much, since its only 8 degrees or so from your T.S....

Last edited:
the Dish Legacy twin (the oval ended LNB) passes the LNB to the left (as you look at the white end) straight through. I am using it to pick up the music for my "on hold" for the telephone system.

the phase 3 (I just disected one the other day) is pointed at 101 then you skew for the other two. if you notice, they aren't in a line either.. i.e. The LNB's aren't parallel, they are like this: / | \

For some reason, the part of this hobby I enjoy is destroying stuff to see how it works.... ;)

Last edited:
Tron said:
Iceberg, assuming you're using one of those Ku LNBFs that have the same form factor as a DBS LNBF, how do you skew the middle Ku LNBF on your Phase II (or do you?) I know the dish itself can be skewed in order to adjust elevation to the three satellites, but wouldn't you also need to skew the linear LNBF for 101w? I guess it wouldn't matter as much, since its only 8 degrees or so from your T.S....

Tron
You're right. The skew is only 7 for AMC4. I have a DMSI Dual LNB that looks just like a DBS LNB. I had to wrap some duct tape around the LNB to make it so it won't wiggle in the spot (there was a little wiggle once in the slot). So when all set up instead of 101/110/119 I have 91/101/110. 91 signals are not aimed 100% due to the one degree off but it works pretty good

KUIL is the highest signal-75
3ABN is around 60
Hope Network is around 40
The rest fluxuate between 10-30

Tron
Here is the Phase II setup
1st picture is LNB's (notice the middle one is different)
2nd shows the LNB's from above. Notice the middle one has to be tilted differently a little bit. That was for optimum aiming
3rd shows my skew

Attachments

• IM000796.JPG
    IM000796.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IM000798.JPG
    IM000798.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 281
  • IM000801.JPG
    IM000801.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 294
true...but you run into an issue

-the LNB has to be a "D" type. What I have is rectangle

I have one of those (use to use one for a wing dish :)

Iceberg said:
Tron
Here is the Phase II setup
1st picture is LNB's (notice the middle one is different)
2nd shows the LNB's from above. Notice the middle one has to be tilted differently a little bit. That was for optimum aiming
3rd shows my skew
Thanks for the pics, looks like it works very well! If I can ever find another Phase II, I'll try this project. 101w is 11 degrees from TS for me, but upon thinking more about this, the dish skew (for elevation) will skew the LNBF by tilting the whole assembly, so it should skew properly.

correct. My TS is IA6 so I'm 8 degrees off. The whole assembly skews so the good is you can have multiple LNB's. The bad is you can't fine tune the skew anymore than the dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts