Dish 500 with 722 receiver-No TV2 input

jasonkeithham

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
Bauxite, AR
Hello, I am new to the site and new to satellite installations. I've read several posts and can't quite figure out my problem. I recently bought a travel trailer and wanted to take my receiver (722) with me to watch satellite TV. So as you know my house has the HD dish and receiver. Due to the fact that I don't want to dismount my home's dish, I have an older Dish 500 (with Twin LNB, I think) and want to hook it up to the 722 receiver borrowed from the house. I know I will not get most/all of the HD channels but SD channels will work.
In the travel trailer I have been able to hook up the Dish 500 to the 722 receiver and get good input connection on TV1. However I have not been able to get the connection on TV2 input. It simply says no connection. I have tried combining both LNB's (110 & 119) into one wire using a SW21 switch then the one wire runs to a diplexor. On the diplexor the wire from the satellite goes to the satellite In. The In/Out goes to a Triplexor (this was connected to the receiver inside the house so it came with the receiver; this may be the problem). Then the Triplexor goes to the receiver.

Do I need to take out the diplexor and triplexor and replace with a DPP Seperator? Although I think the triplexor (175284) will seperate signals...

I use a cheap-o satellite finder to dial in the satellite signal, then do check switch on the receiver.
Will this work or am I doing something wrong?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jason

Last edited:
When you run a check switch test, what does it say in the link labeled "Switch"? If you have a DishPro Twin, you need to run 2 lines to the satellite inputs because a DPP separator is not supported by DP technology. If it's DishPro Plus, the triplexer should work fine

Thank you for the response. I do believe it's DishPro Twin but I'll have to check when I get home tonight. If it's a DishPro Twin is there any way to combine the signals and seperate them before it get's to the receiver? The reason I ask is because I only have one cable input on my travel trailer. I can't get two seperate lines to the receiver.
Thanks, Jason

Ok, much thanks for the info. I think I will just use what I have for now and for the future think about getting an HD dish similar to what is used on my house. That way I will have HD channels and won't have to run check switch everytime I move the receiver.

Get that SW21 outta there! You can't mix legacy stuff with DishPro stuff. If you really have a DishPro twin, just run two cables (one for each tuner) to your receiver and you're done. No diplexer, triplexer, or separator should be there since this is not a DishPro Plus twin.

Well... Almost done. Check switch will be necessary when you move your receiver off your 1000.n and onto your D500, and vice versa.

I have a similar problem as Jason. I have a 5th wheel RV that has all the cabling already installed and would require a major teardown to add any additional cables. Although I am very mechanically capable, I don't know all the abbreviations or terms for this dish stuff. I just installed a Trav'ler DishProPlus Turbo HD dish with triple LNB (110, 119, 129) As best as I can tell, switching is done internally and only one coax is needed to feed my receiver. I have a DPP VIP 722k HD receiver. I have a DPP separator and a DPP triplexor. There are two coax cables available to the dish. They both run down into the bedroom where one is for tv2 and the second coax continues on to tv1 where the receiver is also located. There is an OTA coax that runs from the wing antenna to a booster and then splits for tv1 & tv2.

The problem I have is in trying to hook the tv2 up. I was able to use the separator for sat1 & sat2 inputs. I used the OTA coax for the ch21-69 out and was able to get the dual receiver to operate correctly. Is there a way to use just the single sat coax with the triplexor back to the tv2 without using the OTA coax? It looks like that is how my home system is set up but I only have one coax to tv2 and can't tell where the cables split to the dish.

I'd appreciate any help and a drawing would be very useful.

Don

Last edited:
Jason, remove that SW21 from your system period. If that LNB isn't a DPP Twin, get a DPP Twin. It will have 3 blue ports on it, two outputs and one input. The DPP twin combines 110, 119 and two sat feeds out of 1 port. Ignore the input port on the DPP Twin. Run a single line from one of the DPP Twin LNB's output ports to your diplexer's satellite-in port. Run a cable from the IO port of your diplexer to the IO port of your triplexer. You do not need a separator if you run a diplexer and a triplexer.The remaining port on your diplexer labelled UHF will feed your TV2 location. That is the best solution costwise and for simplicity. Any time you move your 722 from trailer to house and vice versa you will need to run a checkswitch. And I don't think a 1000. whatever would be a smart choice for a trailer dish considering its size, weight, peak difficulty,and its reflector's limited tolerance for roughness.

And Jason, if you don't have two TVs in the trailer remove the diplexer and triplexer. Run a line from the DPP Twin to a separator and connect the separator to the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts