Dish 622 - $99 Upgrade Details

At least initially the special number was routed to a specially trained CSR in Colorado (yes, Colorado), at least that was my experience. No prompts, went right through to her and she said she had special training to take care of the influx of calls for the promo.

Maybe if that number has X number of possible incoming lines and that is not enough, it might just switch to the main number rather than get a busy signal or to be placed on hold for a long period.

Well, the "special" number is not so special. Called a little while ago to upgrade a 942 and an 811. The rep was nice but a little lost and after asking someone else, would not let me upgrade the 811.

I hope some slimy lawyer gets hold of this, because right now Dish is creating a class of customers who are paying to get a certain number of channels (like the additional HD Voom ones,) but are unable to view them at more than one location, because Dish refuses to upgrade their second receiver.

I really am starting to hate Dish. I left for Voom after 7 seven years with Dish and then came back so I can continue with the Voom channels, but now really miss the Voom service (and full and updated programming.) Can't wait for fiber and net-based streaming, so that I hopefully we can have some meaningful choice.

To top this, I just recommended Dish over DirecTV to a friend (because of the VOOM channels,) who actually leased a 942 and an 811, and then bought two more 942s. He's been having major trouble with one of the 942s and I kept telling him to wait for this great upgrade. I am going to be popular when he calls and finds out that he is screwed on upgrading three out of four of his boxes. He probably would go to DirecTV:-(

Last edited:
Interesting stuff.

I agree that a special forum upgrade line should not be routed through the same menus as the regular line. Ideally they would go into a direct queue, with a short wait time, to CSRs who were well versed on the upgrade options.

Back to the required installer on the 622 upgrade.

Isn't the 622 sent directly to the customer? It isn't brought by the installer, correct?

If and when I upgrade, I would physically install and make all connections to the 622, pulling the 942 out of the rack. Then when the installer arrived, I would hand them a 622 remote and let them run whatever diagnostics/tests they wanted in order to activate.

I have close to 80 cables running behind my equipment rack. There are 4 power amps, a pre/pro, a DVD player with DVD-Audio that runs both an optical connection and 6 analog cables, a SACD player that does the same. Both of these run their 6 cables into a switch box which runs another 6 cables into my pre/pro. Right there are 18 cables.

There is no way a Dish installer would be able to see how it all hooks up.

Tom Bombadil said:
Back to the required installer on the 622 upgrade.

Isn't the 622 sent directly to the customer? It isn't brought by the installer, correct?

They specifically told me my receiver would be coming by UPS. This is certainly how it seems they already distribute the 622 receivers. Someone posted earlier that they were told the installer would bring it, but I have heard that story many times before, and it has always turned out that the 622 arrived by UPS instead that I have heard.

Folks this special number was setup exclusively for SatelliteGuys and DBSTalk members and they did not expect the amount of calls they got from SatelliteGuys members!

Because of this some people were automaticly transfered to other reps not trained on the upgrade deal. This was not done on purpose. Again they never expected the amount of calls they got from forum members.

One thing this shows me is the power of SatelliteGuys members in the Satellite community. I hope Dish Network sees this as well. I thank them for taking a gamble and setting up this special Toll Free number for our members to take advantage of this amazing offer.

I see the special number doing two things:

1. It took 12 minutes with an informed CSR to get the job done.

2. The counting of the number of calls by Dish will show them the power of these forums and will result in their paying more attention to them when problem arise.

Nice to see an upgrade option is in the works for those who prefer to own.

With all the change occuring in the HD arena, my position is that is makes sense to lease equipment for the next few years.

The Dish 942 and 622 are so vastly superior in features, quality and stability than the HD-DVR units offered by the cable company in my area that I actually wouldn't mind owning the Dish products.

Once the industry "settles down" ( perhaps two or three years) I'll probably buy, rather than lease, a "Dish 666 All Powerful Dual Core Self Aware Turbo Deluxe", or whatever they call their HD-DVR at that time.

Does the special phone number still works? I tried a few times and every time after the second ring was redirected to the usual prompt.

Last edited:
Well, actually I got a proper person on this special phone number and all upgrade procedure took about 25 min.

When I used the "Special Number" my CSR said first thing...... I guess you already know everything about the up-grade don't you? Worked out fine and install on SUNDAY, April 23rd was a big surprise! THANKS DISH!

jsanders said:
<snip>.... This would be a good way to screen those calls. That obviously isn't the only reason they are doing this, but I suspect E* isn't doing this "out of the goodness of their heart". I think they are doing it because it benefits them.

I'm aghast that a thought like that would cross your mind :mad: , you ought to be ashamed:D

I can't wait for my cable company to provide HD programming and get away from satellite companies again.

Last edited:
As many hassles as I have had with D* over the past 8 years, I continue to hope that I never have to go back to my cable company. I can't remember ever being satisfied with their services. I do get good service from them on my cable modem, and because I have a cable modem, I can still pick up a few of their TV channels. The picture quality is very poor. And they still don't offer a HD DVR box in my area.

Are problems regional? I ask as an 8 year subscriber who has had virtually zero problems with Dish. I just upgraded to a 622 from an 811 and 510, got a $25 credit, and when I informed them I would be on vacation next week so could not receive the 622 in their normal 7 to 10 day shipping range, and would need to delay an April 17th install, they sent it to me UPS 2 day Air....

I am not boasting, but puzzled by the number of subscribers who keep getting $%^d over.
Plus, I thought it would be helpful to publish some good news for a change.

I called Dish on Tuesday night to make sure that my 622 as going to be here in time for my scheduled installation of April 11th. I was told that I would be receiving it on Wednesday or Thurday. On Friday I called to tell them I still had not received it and was told that the package had a scheduled delivery date of Monday. Well, today is Monday and tommorrow is my install and all I received from Dish is the return box to send back my 942. I called again, and was told that my 622 was delivered a day before I ordered it to Arizona (I live in Tennessee)! They said that it was delivered to Arizona on March 31st. Then, he said he found the correct tracking number and the shipment was sent on March 8th. While I had him on the phone, I entered the tracking number in on the UPS site and found that he gave me the tracking number for the package that was sent to Arizona which had nothing to do with me. When I informed him of this, he put me on hold for a bit more and then said that they sent my receiver on April 8th. He wasn't able to give me any more details, though. No tracking number, not which service they used, nothing. So, now I just have to hope that somehow the receiver gets here tomorrow before the installer wants to come by and install it. Dish sure is screwed up!

I received my 622 today. Appointment is 4/23. It took 2 calls to Tech support to get my 622 activated. She told me I *had to deactivate and return my leased 942. I told her I want to keep it activated. She put me on hold and again told me it needed to be returned, which I know isn't right. But, my priority was getting the 622 enabled. I'll call again and have the 942 reactivated.

I have opted not to do the upgrade at this time. I just paid $700 for my 942 less than 6 months ago. Dish has no waiver for us in this situation and I cannot aford another $300 up front at this time. Besides they said demand is high and the 622 are backordered. Just as well my wife thinks we need to be cutting back on progarmming.
We will looking over our current Dish 500 selections and see if we can cut back on the number of channels we receive. Dish is smart by spreading the education stuff across the package levels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)