Dish 722 Randomly recording shows

chwtom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I have had my 722 HD DVR box for a few months. A couple days ago, it started recording 5 or 10 shows a day that we didn't ask it to record. I had a DVR box a couple years ago, I think a TIVO, that had a "recommends" feature where it would record things the box thought you would like--is this what the box is doing? How do I turn this off?

Also, despite having many different brands of DVRs over the years, I haven't got the hang of searching for shows to set up a season pass on this machine. It seems a little less user friendly in that regard. If I can find the show on the program guide, its not hard to set it up. But if I don't know what day/time/channel a show is on, how to I search for it and set up a season pass?

Thanks for your help, and happy holidays:)

I have had my 722 HD DVR box for a few months. A couple days ago, it started recording 5 or 10 shows a day that we didn't ask it to record. I had a DVR box a couple years ago, I think a TIVO, that had a "recommends" feature where it would record things the box thought you would like--is this what the box is doing? How do I turn this off?

Also, despite having many different brands of DVRs over the years, I haven't got the hang of searching for shows to set up a season pass on this machine. It seems a little less user friendly in that regard. If I can find the show on the program guide, its not hard to set it up. But if I don't know what day/time/channel a show is on, how to I search for it and set up a season pass?

Thanks for your help, and happy holidays:)

You need to be careful with dish passes and make sure it is an exact title search. For example, you may intend to record Heroes, but can wind up with "The Scuba Squad : Heroes of the Deep".. made up show, but you get the idea.

If you press the DVR button 3 times it should bring you to the screen that shows all timers that are set to record and those that have recorded. Here you can select any erroneous entries and delete the timers for them. Of course if it doesn't show any programs to be recorded than it could be something else altogether.

I agree with Paradox-SJ. My 722 was doing the same thing, recording strange shows (even only parts of shows) and also deleting shows I hadn't watched yet. I changed the addresses used by my 2 remotes, and the problem has gone away.

I see this often when someone has their receiver set to record all episodes on the timer setup screen. They intend to record a show in a particular time slot, but because it airs on 10 different channels 30 times a day, they end up with the box changing channels to record constantly.

I( sound like a neighbor has his remote set to the same code as yours. Change you remote codes and the problem should go away.

can someone tell me how to change the remote codes? that could be the problem, but i don't think any of my neighbors watch "mini medical school", which is a sort of public access to the university iof wisconsin medical school lectures.

To change the remote address you need to go to your system info screen and see what the 2 remote addresses for tuner 1 & tuner 2 are currently set to then make sure you change both to different numbers(I always use 1-15 and the lower number for tuner 1). With the screen still on system info press the sat button until the lights light up then if you are changing tuner 1 hit the number you want to switch it to then hit pound then record until you see the number on the screen for that tuners remote address change. You repeat that for the tuner 2 using the tuner 2 remote as well and that should take care of the problem. I think I got that sequence in the correct order but it has been awhile since I changed a remote address so someone please verify that is the correct sequence for a remote address change.:hatsoff:

Last edited:
did changing the remote code fix it for you guys? the final straw hit for me tonight when it only recorded 1min of the amazing race, it got the boot for mtv cribs which i didnt set up to record... grrr....

dish is ups'ing me a new 622...