DISH 722k PSIP On Over The Air Channels

When you newly subscribe to those packages. Those of us continuing with our old packages do NOT have to subscribe to, nor pay for, locals. Should that happen, I'd take another look at Fios. But to be honest, I'd still probably stay with Dish.

After re-scanning and downloading the program guide, everything is back to "normal". NO PSIP data is being used in the guide, IMO. No offense to the DIRT team, but this is out of their realm. There's a thread with about missing guide data that has, so far, no resolutions...

DIRT has, in the past, attempted to research answer fairly simple "technical" matters such as why a DVR may behave a certain way by design. They have contacted Engineering and relayed the response for such easy matters. So, they have proven that such a request is within "their realm", and if is NOT, they say so. When DIRT doesn't respond to a direct request or question, it usually means the word is NOT to even venture a post saying "Sorry, out of my realm" as it is a subject Dish just doesn't want to address.

Listen, I LOVE the DIRT folks, but Charlie signs their checks and they want to keep their jobs, so I'm not upset that they have to ignore on occasion, but my point is that DIRT always responds with something, even if it is with an apology for something they can't do or provide, so when DIRT is SILENT, it really is a "shot heard 'round the world", the opera singer who cracks the high C, a huge noise of silence when they choose not to respond. I still love you DIRT and don't want you unemployed; I understand the silence.

The thread for OTA Digital Service you've referred to, Hall, has become a big dead-end joke (several posts make this point) with DIRT at first very integral to the thread to now being missing in action with no changes noticeable to the OTA data and no more dialogue with DIRT . If that thread were to be deleted, no loss of any helpful information.

I'm not a DIRT member but the answer is that E* doesn't carry those channels so the info isn't available for the EPG.

Yes, Dish does carry "those" channels. They carry KOCE 50 and Dish STILL has no guide data for WORLD (formerly PBS World) that Dish did provide guide data when KCET, 28 (also carried by Dish at the time and still carried by Dish) has PBS World on its multiplexed. That is just ONE example of a channel Dish carries, but fails to provide OTA guide data. There are things I do wish to record on those channels, but with out the guide data, I can't reliably. My backup is my TiVo, but I would like to be able to record (not using a manual timer) using the 722 and 722K.

One thing I did notice on my last scan is that far more labels for the multiplexed channels were added automatically even though they still display "Digital Service" Perhaps Dish is using PSIP in a limited way for the channel labels and this may account for the unusual OTA guide sighting from some posters?

Dish has always used small parts of the PSIP data. For example, my local ABC has "Cool TV" sub-channel, which Dish certainly doesn't carry, but the receiver shows the channel 'name'. Same with 1 or 2 of my local PBS sub-channels. The channel name is right. For both stations, the episode info is either wrong or .... "Digital Service".

Dish has always used small parts of the PSIP data. ...
Not here in the Washington DC area. If there is actual data for channels not carried bt Dish, as opposed to "Digital Service", the source is attributed to Chicago Tribune Service...

Not here in the Washington DC area. If there is actual data for channels not carried bt Dish, as opposed to "Digital Service", the source is attributed to Chicago Tribune Service...
PSIP contains far more than programming information and Dish doesn't do one thing in one area vs another in regards to OTA information.

The fact that my receiver shows "Cool TV" for the local ABC affiliate's -2 sub-channel pretty much proves they do use, as I stated earlier, "small parts of the PSIP data".

PSIP contains far more than programming information and Dish doesn't do one thing in one area vs another in regards to OTA information.
In this thread we were talking about programming info (description). If you are talking about PSIP info such as what OTA channel the transmission maps to or similar, you're right. As I said, here in the DC area iif there is actual data for channels not carried by Dish, as opposed to "Digital Service", the source is attributed to Chicago Tribune Service...

I'd suggest you not waste your time... The rep will either a) have no idea what "PSIP" means or will say the guide date comes from the stations themselves and Dish can't do anything, b) they'll have you do a reset/reboot on your receiver or force a guide download or worse, c) tell you your receiver is defective and want to send you a replacement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)