Dish Aiming Help.....Please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

8valve

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Adirondack Mts
In 2004, my Dad went to Best Buy and bought a Direct TV Receiver and Dish package. It was a single LNBF, no movie packages, just basic service. He followed the directions and got it installed and working. Called Direct TV and subscribed and has been happy since. This past summer/fall, he took the dish down when he painted the house. His mistake was he took the dish off the mount, so he now has no idea where to aim it. In the 6 years since install, he has misplaced the dish install instructions for aiming at the correct satellite. Ok, I forgive him as he is 83 painting his own home, so he can make a mistake LOL. While talking to him on the phone tonight, he did say that the dish pointed somewhat west of magnetic south. He lives near Albany, NY. I am going down tomorrow for the weekend to help him get his dish back up and aimed. My question, what satellite does Direct TV use for basic service, laying somewhat west of magnetic south from Albany, NY, 42 degrees 39'/73 degrees 45' N. I remember seeing his dish. Now comparing it in my mind to my FTA set up, it was west of G19 at 97 degrees west. Please dont suggest he hire a installer to re-aim the dish. My dad is very independent, he WILL do this himself........or with my help LOL ! Thanks 8Valve

I am new to this board but I think I may be able to help. I have been doing a lot of research on satellite dishes since recently becoming a Direct TV customer. A website that helped me was "www.dishfinder.com." This website allows you to type in your exact address and it will give you the proper coordinates in order to properly position the dish. I think you can also go through the menu on the TV and type in your zip code and the coordinates will be displayed. A third option would be to get a satellite finder. You can purchase these for a few dollars on eBay. I have not used these however but hear various opinions on these. Once you get the dish pointed in the general direction, you will be able to hear beeping on the TV that will get faster as the dish gets to the best position. This from what I hear does not occur with some of the newer receivers. However, you can also go to the menu and use the signal meter to see the signal strength. Of course you want to try and get the dish pointed so that the signal meter shows a strength as close to 100% as possible.

Like I said I am a new Direct TV member and am just trying to help. If any of the other members see any errors in what I have typed or have an easier or more efficient suggestion, please post. Good luck.

David

If it is an old receiver with RF out, take the receiver and a small TV outside and tweak it using the on board signal meter.

I am new to this board but I think I may be able to help. I have been doing a lot of research on satellite dishes since recently becoming a Direct TV customer. A website that helped me was "www.dishfinder.com." This website allows you to type in your exact address and it will give you the proper coordinates in order to properly position the dish. I think you can also go through the menu on the TV and type in your zip code and the coordinates will be displayed. A third option would be to get a satellite finder. You can purchase these for a few dollars on eBay. I have not used these however but hear various opinions on these. Once you get the dish pointed in the general direction, you will be able to hear beeping on the TV that will get faster as the dish gets to the best position. This from what I hear does not occur with some of the newer receivers. However, you can also go to the menu and use the signal meter to see the signal strength. Of course you want to try and get the dish pointed so that the signal meter shows a strength as close to 100% as possible.

Like I said I am a new Direct TV member and am just trying to help. If any of the other members see any errors in what I have typed or have an easier or more efficient suggestion, please post. Good luck.

David

It's dishpointer.com, not dishfinder.com

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)