Dish and ESPN

According to Craig Moffet that if DISH drops ESPN subs could save almost $10 a month.

I think if they dropped ESPN DISH would have to lower peoples bills to indeed show them why they did what they did.

And that would be fine with me if they offered a premium package that still carried the channels for about $10. If they kept it available at a reasonable cost in a sports package so people could still get it they probably wouldn't lose as many subscribers. If they just flat out didn't offer it they would see many drops.

And I shouldn't have to subsidize the people who watch MSNBC, FSTV, Nick, Lifetime, E, Cartoon Net, MTV, SyFy, VH1, ect... so they can keep those channels (that I never watch) in the regular line-up. It cuts both ways.

Without A-La-Cart, that's just how it is. But don't fret too much. You may be subsidizing some sports fans. But I guarantee that those same sports fans are subsidizing you right back.

Cheers
Possibly, but, ESPN is what costs the most as well. Also, most of the networks, if not all, don't have overpaid game players.

Also, I wouldn't object to the high priced sports channels being all lumped together in a separate sports package. I do agree that pulling all together probably wouldn't be a good idea just because of the amount of sports fans there are.

I think it would go great in the MultiSport Package myself.

That would be a good compromise. The sports fans could still keep their channels at a price similar to what we are paying now while those of you who don't care could save a few bucks. The problem would be Disney though. Wouldn't they refuse to let Dish take it out of their core packages? I don't know much about television contracts and that kind of stuff but I can't see that sitting well with Disney.

That would be a good compromise. The sports fans could still keep their channels at a price similar to what we are paying now while those of you who don't care could save a few bucks. The problem would be Disney though. Wouldn't they refuse to let Dish take it out of their core packages? I don't know much about television contracts and that kind of stuff but I can't see that sitting well with Disney.
I'm quite sure there is some contractual stipulation that prevents ESPN being pulled from core packages. I think that very issue has actually come up before when ESPN prices were being talked about.

I bet there is more people that do not care about espn then do care about it. just like anything else. Every year the nfl boasts about how 90 million people watched the superbowl. you can also look at it like 210 million people did not. Either way it will work out in the end. it always does. you might lose the channels for a coule of weeks.

Funny, the way the mind works. Pay $60 a month to get a package that receives ESPN, ESPN2, Classic, and ESPNU. The $60 a month is worth it for those channels and the ones that come with them.

Dish gets Disney to remove those four channels and place them in their own a la carte slot, and it's d be $10 a month. But at $10 a month, people start to expect more from the channels. Somehow it becomes a premium at that price. Is it worth it, for 17 MNF games, 12 hours of Sportscenter a day, and NBA, MLB action along with college sports? At $10 a month, that's $120 a year.

It probably is for some, especially for college football and basketball fans. But this sort of psychology shows why Disney would never separate. People who would have otherwise had no problem paying more, would start to question paying for it, forget the people that would quickly turn off the switch to it altogether.

I bet there is more people that do not care about espn then do care about it. just like anything else. Every year the nfl boasts about how 90 million people watched the superbowl. you can also look at it like 210 million people did not. Either way it will work out in the end. it always does. you might lose the channels for a coule of weeks.

Yeah but you could say that about any television programing. A lot of shows on cable are extremely happy to get a million viewers. The majority of people in the country might not care if Dish took ESPN down but the majority of people who care about TV who subscribe to Dish would. Like I said before MNF will have the highest TV ratings of any cable show every week during the season. I think that speaks for itself.

How many of you that are screaming I'm gonna leave:rant: actually read the article? The summary is E* is asking to put ESPN in with an all sports package.:) Disney doesn't like this and so is playing the press on this. Also at the end of the article it says the D* isn't happy w/ ESPN either.;) So those that jump ship from E* are going to love that new 2 yr contract when D* does the same thing. Also the $4.69 that is quoted is the wholesale price to the MVPD companies so w/ mark up for profit it gets much higher. IMHO I would love to see E* & D* dump all of Disney and see how they like get that much less revenue in their greedy pockets.:D It's time Disney was stopped w/ their screw you everyone tactics.:mad:

How many of you that are screaming I'm gonna leave:rant: actually read the article?

As per usual, very few. They read the post subject, and jump to conclusions. Sadly typical of the under 30's crowd...since most won't/can't read anything longer than an abbreviated text message anymore.

Last edited:
mdram said:
loss of monday night football alone would cause many people to switch

That used to be the case for me. I would mainly watch for NFL and NCAA football from September - December. Now they have most of the big bowl games in January and they carry the Nationwide Series from February - November and Sprint Cup from mid-season until the end. I would miss it terribly now. As for all the talking heads... I couldn't care less. But I watch a ton of games and races on their networks. And I rarely miss softball in May and June. I watch most all the time now.

To bad that all of the providers couldn't get together on these issues. They could all tell Disney to get lost, and then maybe a fair price could be negotiated. ESPN knows that if Dish doesn't sign, the next provider will. Lets face it, the NFL just signed a new deal with the players, so now they need more revenue. They will get it from the networks, and then the networks hold the providers hostage. It's just the circle of greed, and in the end we are the ones who feed it. Will it stop? I doubt it. We the brainwashed people will just pay more, and bitch about it. Some of us will switch providers, and all will seem great, until they have a price increase or drop a couple of channels.
You almost have to give Dish credit for standing up to the networks. I know Charlie is no angel, but someone has to do something, or we will be paying $200 per month for an average monthly bill.
Gots to go, I'm missing Sports Center!!!:eek:

If Dish were to remove the ESPN channels for whatever reason, I wouldn't be too surprised. ESPN just wants more and more money every year. I don't watch ESPN much so I wouldn't really miss it but it would be just bad timing for me if Dish were to remove it soon as my Detroit Lions will actually be on MNF on October 10th. I think if it wasn't for MNF and ESPN's new deal with the NFL, nobody would worry as much. But this situation just makes us wish that MNF was still on ABC. I think it would be a whole lot better that way since not everyone has cable or satellite. But once again ESPN decided to go big this time and pay $15 Billion for NFL rights through 2021. And we are going to wind up paying for it.

Reading the article it seems like DIRECTV is also getting upset at ESPN's rates.

But if DISH did get rid of ESPN I doubt we would see our rates drop at all. Funny how it all works.
But Dish would see their subscribers continue to fall
Why we all are thinking that Dish will just lose subs. this can be spin both way....Lower price will make non sports fans consider Dish & will switch to Dish.
Dish is already losing subs. ESPN is one of the most popular channel on cable and without it many would chose other providers. Plus, Dish is not that much less than other providers and they do not lower their prices when they do drop channels
If DISH dropped ESPN, I wonder how many people would move to DISH from other Providers.
Few to none, at least not for that reason. Why would they? Not offering something is not a means to attract people. They would have to offer something different in its stead
I think it would go great in the MultiSport Package myself.
Would never happen with stations as popular as ESPN.

BTW, I seldom if ever watch ESPN. Since the MLB channel was launched there is really no reason for me to watch it

Last edited:
Since I can't watch the channel with decent audio sync anyway, it should be dropped!!

I love sports, but I'm will to sit without it for months if needed. And I'd be more than willing to pay extra for it in a sports pack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)