Dish announced price increases, your thoughts for DirecTV...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Maybe, but if you sign up now you don't see any price increase until 2010.

But you will be in a 24 month commitment if you go with DIRECTV now as a new sub and when 2010 comes you will get hit with a double price increase, of both 2009 that was delayed and the new price increase that will come in 2010. Then you will really be screwed and you will still have a year left of your commitment. You won't be able to leave without paying off the rest of your commitment. NO ONE alive escapes the price increases for too long.

Hasn't DirecTV raised their prices almost every March for the last several years?

Yes, they have. But they are usually in the 3-5 dollar range. Not as big as the announced Dish increase. But D* hasn't announce what their increase will be. So far all D* has announced is that there will be one, but not how much.

However, with Malone acting like a Charlie clone, it wouldn't surprise me if it was as big as the Dish increase.

Directv is always a little higher than DISH - extra miscellaneous fees excluded. So it stands to reason that the Directv price increase will be as high as DISH's. The real question is will Directv raise the price of their dvr plus pack and Hd dvr plus pack to be comparable to DISH and their dvr advantage pack. Right now there is a 5.98 advantage with the dvr advantage pack with DISH,but come Feb. 1st is will only be .98 cents advantage over the normal way of bundeling. If Directv is really going after the higher cost customer with good credit , I would assume that they would jack their dvr plus packs as well.

Both providers add channels during the year, but there are no posts of people saying they ought to be paying more because they got more channels. But when price increases come around, memories have faded of the added channels, and we want more channels NOW.

Just human nature.

Well, D* does provide a service, and their profit margin on that service for the year 2007 was over 2 BILLION dollars, so I don't think it is out of line to expect them to continue to improve their service for that kind of money.

Any new info on if the increase will be the normal annual one, or a larger one like Dishes??

Status
Please reply by conversation.