DISH Announces 2014 CES Press Event

The next generation of Satellite receivers to replace the Hopper and Joey. The Sows (female pig) and the Piglets (baby pigs). The flying pig (sow) comes in 2016 as the advanced piglet model.
I can imagine Charlie would really bring home the bacon after porking us with those fees.

But since they say that having more than 2 Hoppers will much up the MOCA bandwidth, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually works since 3-4 Hopper systems work when linking the nodes is not supported by Dish.
Unless "tuner discovery" is broadcast based(which I would doubt), I'd bet it will work, but they have no intention of supporting it. Just as they don't support 3 Hoppers on the same net now.

There's certainly a point there would not be enough bandwidth, and they don't want the possibility of bumping into it, or having to train techs/csrs to support it.

I would really like to see a schematic of the wiring layout for the HWS adding a SJ and so on...I fail to understand why they wouldn't provide this during a large release like this.

I would really like to see a schematic of the wiring layout for the HWS adding a SJ and so on...I fail to understand why they wouldn't provide this during a large release like this.

It seems they like to get the word out first and then all the details later. They're just building up hype, it is CES ya know.

I just watched some of Dish's training on their new products and while there wasn't much I do have some info. Most of the info was for the Virtual Joey.

Only 1 Virtual Joey is allowed per account.
It is not limited to a device so you can use the app on multiple devices.
You will only be able to use the Virtual Joey on one device at a time.
Standard Business Rules apply so it counts as a physical Joey. This means that if you have 1 Hopper you can only have 3 Joeys. Ex: 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys and 1 Virtual Joey.

The only thing mentioned about the Super Joey was that it would have a lot of the same functions of the Hopper. PTAT, AutoHop, Remote Finder, VOD, Block Buster and more.
The Super Joey will be available later this Spring.

There was not word on any pricing or any wiring diagrams yet.

It seems they like to get the word out first and then all the details later. They're just building up hype, it is CES ya know.
Build up the hype give no details, people start getting carried away. The final product is good, but can't live up to the hype and then people get disappointed. Reminds me of when the whole Blockbuster deal was done. It was good, but people (including myself) had grander ideas.

Build up the hype give no details, people start getting carried away. The final product is good, but can't live up to the hype and then people get disappointed. Reminds me of when the whole Blockbuster deal was done. It was good, but people (including myself) had grander ideas.

Well you just described CES. A lot of the products you see and hear of at CES never actually see the light of day. It's just like when I go to Team Summit and check out their beta products, they have some awesome ideas but many of them are never seen. Remember the remote with the keyboard on it? That thing was awesome and did a lot more than just that.

Imagine,Superbowl Sunday,you have a HWS,and a SJ,all of a sudden your HWS dies!That to me is one of the biggest pitfalls of a setup like that.Having multiple hoppers or receivers is a better choice imho.The SJ would be much better if it doesn't completely rely on the hopper.

Imagine,Superbowl Sunday,you have a HWS,and a SJ,all of a sudden your HWS dies!That to me is one of the biggest pitfalls of a setup like that.Having multiple hoppers or receivers is a better choice imho.The SJ would be much better if it doesn't completely rely on the hopper.

I'm curious if it actually is completely dependent on the Hopper. It may be possible that it can still be used as a stand alone receiver without DVR functions. I don't see why it couldn't since it has it's own tuners.

I'm curious if it actually is completely dependent on the Hopper. It may be possible that it can still be used as a stand alone receiver without DVR functions. I don't see why it couldn't since it has it's own tuners.

I agree,if it can be used stand alone,then I would call it super.

That would just be too perfect if the SJ could also be a stand-alone backup during a Hopper failure.

"....Remember the remote with the keyboard on it? That thing was awesome and did a lot more than just that."

I sure do remember it. And still crave it.

Maybe somebody will ask Dish at CES about it. Then, when they roll their eyes, ask about support for a BT keyboard/pointing device.

I agree,if it can be used stand alone,then I would call it super.

My theory is that Dish is planning on getting away from the VIP receivers completely over the next few years. It's going to take a long time but the process has already started. There will no longer be dual tuner installs very soon. Knowing this I was curious as to what Dish would do for the basic customer. It seems they may keep the 211 receiver around for a while to fit some needs but I know Dish wants to make the Hopper system the main system.

Now with the announcement of these different Joey models I can get a better idea of what Dish has planned. The Super Joey may be available for more basic installs as a stand alone receiver. It may get to the point where customers just have a Smart TV or a gaming system that has the Dish app. That customer just calls up Dish and sets up an account and they watch their TV through the app only without equipment. There are so many possibilities with this Hopper system that it's pretty exciting.

Now, the biggest downfall of all this is the pricing. As awesome as all this equipment is, it doesn't do anyone any good if they can't afford it.

My theory is that Dish is planning on getting away from the VIP receivers completely over the next few years. It's going to take a long time but the process has already started. There will no longer be dual tuner installs very soon. Knowing this I was curious as to what Dish would do for the basic customer. It seems they may keep the 211 receiver around for a while to fit some needs but I know Dish wants to make the Hopper system the main system.

Now with the announcement of these different Joey models I can get a better idea of what Dish has planned. The Super Joey may be available for more basic installs as a stand alone receiver. It may get to the point where customers just have a Smart TV or a gaming system that has the Dish app. That customer just calls up Dish and sets up an account and they watch their TV through the app only without equipment. There are so many possibilities with this Hopper system that it's pretty exciting.

Now, the biggest downfall of all this is the pricing. As awesome as all this equipment is, it doesn't do anyone any good if they can't afford it.

Yea I know we have discussed this before but for the person who has SD TV's or multiple TV's but maybe on HD can't find any VIP set ups on there website

I'm guessing it will but I have no proof at all. Since it has it's own tuners I see don't see why it couldn't.

Doesn't SJ pass digital back to the Hopper for recording on the HDD which in turn passes it right back to the SJ? I figured that's why they limited the tuners to 2 and not 3 due to bandwidth considerations. PiP would increase the required bandwidth again. Not saying they won't have it, but realizing there's a likely limit on bandwidth that the engineers won't support at some point. They like to leave headroom for the unexpected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts