DISH Announces 2014 CES Press Event

"...There will no longer be dual tuner installs very soon...."

So some older equipment, like the 311, will stay out there but the ViP222/612/622/722/922 series will all cease, except for replacements (when they can't talk the custy into a Hopper)?

Seems radical.

Yes, years. But it seems the die is cast. An expensive route, but perhaps cheaper for them in the long run.

So maybe rates will be lower for people just using an app and having no DVR features than folks that insist on equipment that supports DVR functions. Maybe they'll limit smart TV apps, etc, to only a minute or so of video memory, thereby ensuring more commercial watching.

Where would that leave the tablet transfer function? Do it in real time from your smart TV?

Most of what I have been saying here is just my own opinion based on my own experiences with being a retailer. I do not have any concrete info on what Dish's exact plans are but my guesses are somewhat educated. I may be completely wrong as well.

All the same, I'm glad the only piece of Dish equipment I actually OWN is a cheap Joey.

And the difficulty in specing a new system using ViP equipment says multitudes.

Most of what I have been saying here is just my own opinion based on my own experiences with being a retailer. I do not have any concrete info on what Dish's exact plans are but my guesses are somewhat educated. I may be completely wrong as well.
I doubt you are wrong. I'm sort of surprised VIPs other than 211s are still being offered at all for new business. Willing to bet this will be the last year for them on new installs.

SJ definitely offers some possibilities if they adopt it, or a derivative as their non-dvr receiver. They could probably offer PIP, add an 8GB USB stick and get basic trick play, offer 211 style non-shared DVR functionality, and more. It will be interesting to see how they leverage it.

I doubt you are wrong. I'm sort of surprised VIPs other than 211s are still being offered at all for new business. Willing to bet this will be the last year for them on new installs.

SJ definitely offers some possibilities if they adopt it, or a derivative as their non-dvr receiver. They could probably offer PIP, add an 8GB USB stick and get basic trick play, offer 211 style non-shared DVR functionality, and more. It will be interesting to see how they leverage it.

Dish isn't really offering anything but the Hopper for new customers now. Retailers actually have to go out of their way it seems to install new customer with VIP equipment. Dish even increases dealer incentives to push us into selling more Hoppers.

Dish isn't really offering anything but the Hopper for new customers now. Retailers actually have to go out of their way it seems to install new customer with VIP equipment. Dish even increases dealer incentives to push us into selling more Hoppers.
So considering I said basically the same thing last year, that means I was right? ;)

Knew it had to happen eventually. Now if I can convince my wife it actually happened.

She'll probably respond like mine has:

a_broken_clock.jpg

SJ will have two tuners like a 222 so they probably wont implement hard drive functionality to it due to the fact that they couldn't on a 222.

The 612 has a $10 fee so I could see a $10 fee on the SJ in the future.

Supposedly SJ will be $7/Mo, if so, probably not for long! Think Hopper fees...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I suspect they will keep the price $7 because they want to discourage 2 hoppers.

It would seem odd if they made it the same $7 fee. If they make the Super Joey $7 then they need to lower the regular Joey fee to $5. Of course I'm going to want a Super Joey if it's going to be the same price and give me 2 more tuners.

I also don't see why everyone thinks that Dish does not want people to have 2 Hoppers. They are even lowering the price for new customers to get a second Hopper. To me that's encouraging customers to get one.

If they allow me to get 3 Hoppers at a low price, I'm in. ( and a few joeys ) I realize programming cost rise every year. On top of that, equipment/ dvr charges. Not happy about it, but that's what it is across most providers. ( monthly dvr and equipment fees ) Family of 4 has their own content they like to watch and record. What I won't do is pay full price for a Hopper, with monthly fees on top of it. And I have the monthly insurance. At least once a yr, I have an HDD go bad in one of my 722s. Does Comcast limit the # of tuners they lease? I'm pretty sure there's no upfront hardware costs. Not sure about Direct, since most I know either have Dish or Comcast. If they one day "force" me to upgrade to a Hopper system, I may fare better than others, since I'm currently leasing 7 tuners? Honestly, I don't care if each hopper doesn't see each other. What I need is tuners. 2 Hoppers, 1 SJ, 1 Joey, and a virtual joey would be perfect for our household. Or 3 Hoppers and 3 joeys.

Last edited:
If they allow me to get 3 Hoppers at a low price, I'm in. I realize programming cost rise every year. On top of that, equipment/ dvr charges. Not happy about it, but that's what it is across most providers. ( monthly dvr and equipment fees ) What I won't do is pay full price for a Hopper, with monthly fees on top of it. And I have the monthly insurance. At least once a yr, I have an HDD go bad in one of my 722s. Does Comcast limit the # of tuners they lease? I'm pretty sure there's no upfront hardware costs. Not sure about Direct, since most I know either have Dish or Comcast.

If you are a Plan A customer with the protection plan you can get all the equipment and the installation for free. If you are not a Plan A it will still be greatly discounted. Regardless of what kind of customer you are you will have to pay the same monthly fees as we all do though.

If you are a Plan A customer with the protection plan you can get all the equipment and the installation for free. If you are not a Plan A it will still be greatly discounted. Regardless of what kind of customer you are you will have to pay the same monthly fees as we all do though.
Understood. No beef with paying the monthly fees. Upfront full price for hardware is my issue. Dirt did tell me I'd have to pay full price if I want a 3rd Hopper. I suspect if I called, they'd do something for me. Just haven't gotten around to calling, since what we have now is working for us. But would be nice to get HD on those 2 TVs using output 2 on the 722s. How do customers know which "Plan" they are?

Understood. No beef with paying the monthly fees. Upfront full price for hardware is my issue. Dirt did tell me I'd have to pay full price if I want a 3rd Hopper. I suspect if I called, they'd do something for me. Just haven't gotten around to calling, since what we have now is working for us. But would be nice to get HD on those 2 TVs using output 2 on the 722s. How do customers know which "Plan" they are?

OH, I wasn't thinking of the third Hopper. You'll have to purchase the third Hopper. I'm not sure if you're going to get around that one.

I also don't see why everyone thinks that Dish does not want people to have 2 Hoppers. They are even lowering the price for new customers to get a second Hopper. To me that's encouraging customers to get one.

I bet the Super Joey has a lot less maintenance problems than the Hopper would over its lifetime. I suspect the super joey has no moving parts, and would be very reliable.

OH, I wasn't thinking of the third Hopper. You'll have to purchase the third Hopper. I'm not sure if you're going to get around that one.
With 7 leased tuners now, I'd want the same #, leased of course, in a Hopper system. Unless they can do something for me, I'll stick with what I have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)