DISH antenna stolen - twice. Help!!

Definitely a possibility. I'm also looking at a "Simulated Security Camera" from Radio Shack for about $30. It looks like the real thing but it doesn't do anything except except blink a red light!!

This does work. I live on a dead end street and we've had problems with theft, partying kids, etc... I have an old camera that does not work. I installed it including running a coax from it and a chicken light and we haven't had any problems since.

I put the camera next to the motion light in plain site so that when the light kicks on you can see the camera clear as day.

Every time something like the 'hit' killings the last week or two in Fla the bad guys are learning that cameras are cheap and everyone will have them someday. Not too long ago someone had a cheap camera that also was privately available via the internet and a homeowner saw her house was being robbed in real time while she was at work. Called the cops and they were arrested.

Someone who thinks sat signals are just the government beaming things into peoples heads? And yet for some strange reason also thinks that removing the dishes will stop them?

Maybe. :-D

I was thinking more of someone like my neighbor. She thinks the dish is "Visually offensive" and called the HOA. I told both of them to stuff it.

Maybe. :-D

I was thinking more of someone like my neighbor. She thinks the dish is "Visually offensive" and called the HOA. I told both of them to stuff it.

That's a distinct possibilty. My daughter wrote the HOA a couple of years ago when the HOA wanted her to remove the Dish antenna. She cited chapter and verse regarding small antennas and what was allowed under Federal regulations and therefore could not be prohibited by the HOA. These two thefts may be in retaliation to that letter.

Thanks to everyone else who responded with some very clever ideas.

That's a distinct possibilty. My daughter wrote the HOA a couple of years ago when the HOA wanted her to remove the Dish antenna. She cited chapter and verse regarding small antennas and what was allowed under Federal regulations and therefore could not be prohibited by the HOA. These two thefts may be in retaliation to that letter.

Thanks to everyone else who responded with some very clever ideas.

Might be interesting. Dunno how the law would work but it sounds like if they were the ones who removed the dishes they would be breaking the law twice. First for the theft itself and the second by interfering with your right to use a dish.

taking the dish

Someone does not have a life here. I'd bet it's probably someone in the HOA. It's probably the only you'd wish bees/wasp would nest in the arm. I'd try to set up one of those mini-cams you see in the store.

I don't know what dish your duaghter is using or needs to use.

I would get the oldest type of legacy equipment and cobble it together of both obselete DirecTV and Dish Network parts.

That way, you would get an idea, if it is a neighbor.

Anyone really needing a Dish Network dish would not likely steal a cobbled together "bastardized" dish, unless he or she is really into satellite TV.

The one in my avitar is composed of any old DirecTV Phase III pan, two beat up DirecTV dual lnb's with their covers removed and OLD SW21's.

#3 Replace all the bolts on the Dish with something other than 1/2 and 7/16. This is the only size wrenches that Dish installers keep on their trucks. Whoeever is stealing your Dishes has a 7/16 wrench in their pocket, changing the bolts to something other than 7/16 will force them to go back out their truck and they aint gonna go back with a wrench set and try several wrenches before the find the right one.

Try using metric bolts. Would really confuse them.

Super glue thumb tacs to the face of the switch and around the edge of the dish or better yet spray adhesive glue onto both and sprinkle broken glass shards onto both, they'll never bother her again.

When I did installs in locationw, where there was a tendency for theft, I riveted everyhting together.

Particularly, one rivet going through the mounting clamp over the pole locks the azmuth position of the dish.

1/4 inch rivets will replace the 1/4 inch bolts perfectly. I have a small compressor and an air hydralic rivetor, that I use for other projects.

how about painting the thing orange or putting a big yellow smiley face on it? I have seen them around for a while now. You would DEFINATLY know whose house it gets put on!!

What kind of resale value can a thief get fencing a DiSH Network LNB and switch? Only the DPP44 seems to be worth stealing, and even then you have to have some kind of serious DiSH Network knowledge to know so.

Build a moat around the pole fill with water about 4 inches deep. Next attach a 3 Phase high amp wire to it, problem solved

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)