Dish Anywhere over Wi-Fi

ladyesmiles

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 21, 2013
San Antonio, TX
No matter what I do, it always says DVR offline when it's not. I have a broadband connection that is always on with five bars. Dish anywhere simply will not load over wifi. Is there an update or anything I can do to make it work? I do not want to use my cellular data because I get charged extra for going over. Just watching 3 shows puts me over. I watch netflix and all other forms of media just fine on wifi. This is for my iphone 4. I have fanhattan, netflix, abc, cbs, nbc and fox installed and they all work. Any ideas?

I don't have DISH Anywhere, but I'm guessing that if your WIFI is encrypted and password protected the DISH Anywhere should prompt you for the password when establishing the initial connection. Anyone lmow of limitations on the type of encryption that can be used?

No matter what I do, it always says DVR offline when it's not. I have a broadband connection that is always on with five bars. Dish anywhere simply will not load over wifi. Is there an update or anything I can do to make it work? I do not want to use my cellular data because I get charged extra for going over. Just watching 3 shows puts me over. I watch netflix and all other forms of media just fine on wifi. This is for my iphone 4. I have fanhattan, netflix, abc, cbs, nbc and fox installed and they all work. Any ideas?

What model DVR do you have?

I'll look at model tonight, but I have been told it is the brand new hopper w/ sling. Nothing works on it, not auto-hop, now it's dropping recordings and I have it set to prime time 8 days and I save every morning, I have reset, unplugged, reset wireless connection, you name it, it simply doesn't work. I was told I couldn't record movies from the movie stations because they were copyrighted when I called Tech. service. It would not play back my recorded movies, so I dropped the movie stations. Now I'm told that is not true that I pay for those stations and I can record movies and watch them so apparently it's something going on with the software on my account or my dvr although this is the second new dvr in two months. I basically give up. Will be leaving dish at end of contract, going back to TWC. Never had an issue with them and no one telling me I couldn't watch a recorded movie. I have also had 6 techs to my house, 20 phone calls to tech service, 1 letter to corporate and these issues are still not fixed. I live in a big city and everyone is using dish down here with no problems like these. I haven't changed any setting on my dvr except to enable prime time and call and have them remove movie stations. I'm shocked at this service, just flabbergasted.............have a great day everyone! By the way, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and Netflix work great on my phone, DISH doesn't.

So it works over the cell network but not wifi? What version of the app? Have you tried updating the app or deleting and reinstalling it?

Yes, I have tried reinstalling. Thanks for your answer, please see my further post below. You'll be shocked at what's going on with my service :).

I don't have DISH Anywhere, but I'm guessing that if your WIFI is encrypted and password protected the DISH Anywhere should prompt you for the password when establishing the initial connection. Anyone lmow of limitations on the type of encryption that can be used?
Our wifi is encrypted and I log in and can use ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and Netflix, but not Dish. Dish support states their app. should also work, but it doesn't.

DishAnywhere works on Android but not Windows/Mac

I have similar problem:
1. DishAnywhere works fine with Android app on smartphone using 4G data plan or using WiFi router to cable modem. So Hopper with Sling can communicate over WiFi through the firewall over the internet to Dish Network.
2. However, DishAnywhere does not work with Windows or Mac machines on same WiFi network. Says Hopper is not connected (error 31), even though it passes all connectivity tests. And bandwidth isn't the issue: I can watch HD over WiFi from other sources because it's a SmartTV with its own WiFi.

Dish installer thought Hopper Internet Connect device would solve problem by switching from WiFi to MOCA, but Dish hasn't provided a HIC. Chat with Dish Customer Service said "we're opening a problem ticket so should be fixed in future Dish software upgrade."

My router is an ASUS RT-N66U. Since the problem appears to be inside my firewall, port forwarding or putting Hopper in a DMZ don't seem relevant even though I've seen that suggested elsewhere.

Has anybody solved this problem?

Yeah Wifi good for surfing so forth but with these DVR's even though the HWS has built in Wifi I still used my HIC which is usually what I recommend to everyone just because one it gets all your devices online and it's more reliable as well.

Maybe the Hopper is on a different Subnet of the network? Thus the app can't see it because the Wifi is on its own subnet?

Like Scott said it sounds like that your PC's and Mac might not be on the same subnet and you might make sure that they are in the same IP range as well and none of them have a static IP that they are set to DHCP.

Both Hopper and Windows are on same WiFi network. No wired LAN.
Same subnet. Same SSID. Same frequency band.
Can ping Hopper from Windows without losing packets.
But DishAnywhere.com says Hopper is not connected.
Same result with Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome browsers.

Like Scott said it sounds like that your PC's and Mac might not be on the same subnet and you might make sure that they are in the same IP range as well and none of them have a static IP that they are set to DHCP.

No static IPs. All devices (Hopper, Windows, Mac, printer, SmartTV) use DHCP.

No static IPs. All devices (Hopper, Windows, Mac, printer, SmartTV) use DHCP.

I read that Hopper uses these ports: 80, 443, 5678.
Temporarily turned off software firewall on laptop to make sure it wasn't blocking these ports.
Temporarily turned off hardware firewall in router.
DishAnywhere.com still thinks Hopper is not connected.

What about stuff in IE like deleting all your cookies. For IE too, look at the add-ons and remove anything "Sling". This will force your system to re-download and install them.

You don't have anything plugged into the USB do you? And of course you should reboot the PC and the receiver, though I am sure you have done that already.

What about stuff in IE like deleting all your cookies. For IE too, look at the add-ons and remove anything "Sling". This will force your system to re-download and install them.

Deleted cookies. Removed Sling add-ons. Restarted browser.
DishAnywhere.com installed Sling add-on. Restarted browser.
DishAnywhere.com failed to connect. Error 31.
Ran Dish connectivity test tool. It says machine meets minimum requirements and connectivity is OK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts