This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dish called me .....

You can give them all of the information on all of the receivers that you have active on your account and STILL be told you failed and have your account locked as what happened to me. If you had receivers active on your account in the past and then they were shut off they are still on your account but not active. They expect you to give them location addresses on those as well or you will FAIL it. The only way to get the receivers cleared off your account is if they get activated on a different account (to my knowledge). I had to hookup phonelines to receivers after this to avoid them from calling me again. I got all dual tuner receivers to cover my household needs at that point to reduce the number of receivers down. I didnt like having to run phone wires and being subject to phone line surges as I had two surge line surges in the past each time burning up phone line and the first time burning up a modem in a satellite receiver. I also dont like having to run phone line just to satisfy Dish Network when it shouldnt really be needed. I was told it was not required then told it was later on. If the audit team bothers me even though I have phone lines connected then it will be time to switch to Directv and I will switch everybody I know from Dish to Direct and it will cost them a pretty penny.

What if you screen your phone calls, like me? I don't answer any calls unless I am familiar with the source. Has anyone just had their account locked without even talking to an auditor? This whole thing sounds nuts!

Is failing an audit a good way to get out of a contract? I mean, if I get audited and fail and they cancel me, do I owe them anything?

Is failing an audit a good way to get out of a contract? I mean, if I get audited and fail and they cancel me, do I owe them anything?

Question # 1 no
Question # 2 yes you may still owed them plus if you choose to cancel your contract penalties will be enforce against you CC on record.

I just thought I'd post that it is always a good idea to have all your Irds (rec.) on a working dish because then your unit is in the data stream and won't be lost if they change something on the data to it, phone line is only billed on dual tuners
if you don't plug them into a phone line, CSRs are very slow on sending a hit to old subs!!

Well, not surprisingly this story took a turn in the wrong direction. They called me again and left a message to call them back. It was late in the evening when I got it and did not call them back since I didn't have time for waiting on hold and all of that. The next day my programming was shut off. I called and before I got into the discussion of how I had been given a couple of weeks to hook up the third receiver they started grilling me about my physical address. They obviousley already knew it was ficticious. They were speaking in a very accusatory tone. I shifted gears to an agressive tone as well and told them I was now back at the billing address and was getting aggravated with the calls. I said if there was a problem with my paying for a receiver that I had not yet connected they could just cancel it or cancel all three at this point because I was getting fed up. They changed back to a more customer friendly tone, dropped the physical address topic and had me give them the info off of the two that were connected. They asked me to give them a call when I got the third line ran. After I hung up, I checked and my programming was back. Sure enough, they had also changed my locals back to my billing address. I now have no HD for locals and have to talk to them yet again when I have the third receiver connected. I suppose that even if I resolve all of this with all three connected and even with phone lines connected it would be unwise to 'move' again, though I am considering trying exactly that with a CSR. The notes on my account could be a problem though I suppose.

Possibly the most significant part of this story that I could share with you all is that they have indeed started looking more closely at physical vs billing addresses. They seemed very suspicious that my bills are being sent to a different address than where the physical service is received. I don't know if the CSRs are handling things any differently when you request a change but the Audit Nazis definitely are. No local HD after having it is a major dissapointment even though I realize I was never technically entitled to it to start with.

After reading this thread, I now have a concern about my service. I "moved" in order to get HD locals, and now I'm wondering about my chance of being audited.

Most of the people in this thread seem to have multiple Dish receivers, but I have only one receiver, a 622, so does that mean that there is only a small chance that I will be audited, or is the number of receivers not a factor?

Thanks for any info.

Richard

Most of the people in this thread seem to have multiple Dish receivers, but I have only one receiver, a 622, so does that mean that there is only a small chance that I will be audited, or is the number of receivers not a factor? ...
You have nothing to worry about. You won't be audited.

The audit process identifies accounts with multiple receivers that are not all located in the same residence (i.e., friends/relatives sharing the service and the bill). With only one receiver, you're not a target.

I doubt that DISH really cares about those who “move” to get different programming and, thus, have service and billing addresses that don’t agree. I expect DISH would be happy to accommodate us, provide the local programming we prefer and keep us as customers. They aren’t policing our truthfulness about where we live, but they do insist that we not share our account with others.

I got quite a different impression when they were giving me hard time about it. It may have been because I had one receiver not connected to the dish but they certainly were grilling me about the moving thing and quickly changed me back to my non-HD locals. My advice, based on experience, is if you have more than one activated receiver and have 'moved' .... connect them all to your phone line. You do not want these people calling you.

They may not care if they don't "know", but they sure do care if the do. It would be grounds for more law suits from the networks and their affiliates.

They may not care if they don't "know", but they sure do care if the do. It would be grounds for more law suits from the networks and their affiliates.

Exactly. The key is not to draw attention to your account like I did. My dilemma is if I should 'move' again after getting things straightened out.

I'm sure you got the call because of the unconnected receiver, not the "move."

The lesson learned here is to always keep your receivers connected to the satellite and to the phone line, specially if you "moved". I have 5 receivers always connected to the phone line and to the satellite and never had any problems with the audit dept.

If DISH is really concerned about this possibility, they should be calling or cutting off service to the "movers." I haven't read any posters claiming to be victims (other than those with disconnected receivers).

As long as all the receivers are phoning home from the same place and the bill is being paid, DISH has little reason to be concerned that someone is lying about where he/she lives. If the networks and affiliates have a gripe, it’s with the lying customer.

Yes the law says it is illegal for a sat provider to "knowingly " sell out of area locals. It is also in the residential agreement that YOU the customer will keep Dish & Directv informed where your service address is for your receivers. SO that gives DISH and Directv plausible deniability in regards to any laws broken.

I doubt the moving got you, they put everyone in the audit list who has a receiver not connected to a phone line.

At worst, they'll deactivate your extra receiver and you'll have to call them to get it re-activated, in which case you'll have the pleasure (haha) of doing that process all over again.

Really though, how can you be surprised they were mad about you "moving"? And the people complaining here are kinda.. meh. Lots of people got all annoyed and acted like asses over the court cases saying "Dish allows their customers to 'move' even though they're doing it fraudulently and get distants, blah blah whatever"