DISH Comcast Dispute?

With all the angst going on in the world today, I've often wondered why women enjoy watching "bitchy, catty, miserable, over stuffed, over indulged, spoiled, narcissistic wenches" on TV? It makes absolutely no sense to me at all...what, they don't get enough of that behavior at the workplace?

On topic - I still saw Facebook ads today from USA claiming that DISH was going to take away USA shows like WWE, etc.

I was trying to read a story on the NBC Dallas stations site and got a popup saying that the stations will be lost. It's like comcast fails to acknowledge the arbitration suit. Let's scare the customers. To heck with the truth.

Evidently the lawsuit hasn't had any effect on NBCs stance on publicizing the whole thing. I hope Dish gets some damages out of that suit for breach of contract.

Reactions: Jim S.
An arbitrator simply forces both parties to act like civilized adults and make genuine effort in negotiations. Without him/her, one party can (and probably does) show up, give their demands, and says "call us when you agree to these".

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
You're thinking of a mediator. An Arbirator will actually decide for both sides, and decision is final. A mediator will have both sides meet in the middle and come to agreeable terms(I learned this ironically enough on USA's 'Fairly Legal'. Granted it was reinforced in my law class last semester, these are just two forms of Alternate Dispute Resolutions(ADR).

On topic - I still saw Facebook ads today from USA claiming that DISH was going to take away USA shows like WWE, etc.
Saw this while watching Smackdown tonight.

Attachments

• 1458264924030.jpg
    1458264924030.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 267
I maybe wrong, but not one news article has mentioned NBCSN as part of this comtract. Scott was NBCSN part of their agreement with the regional CSN's last year? Huge NHL fan and its almost post-season...

I maybe wrong, but not one news article has mentioned NBCSN as part of this comtract. Scott was NBCSN part of their agreement with the regional CSN's last year? Huge NHL fan and its almost post-season...
Could be, but it really doesn't matter, NBCU cannot remove the channels during negotiations/arbitration per a FCC order.

Reactions: jegrant
Did the FCC actually respond?
They don't have to respond yet or immediately. In the past, when Comcast and NBC Universal wanted to merge, the FCC and Justice Dept imposed some conditions, one of which Dish feels they broke. Here's a good explanation of the process:
According to the FCC's rules on arbitration outlined in its approval of the Comcast-NBCU merger, Dish would have to notify the agency and provide a summary of the dispute soon after it announces its intent to seek arbitration. In about 10 business days, Dish must make a formal filing with the American Arbitration Association outlining its "final offer" for the programming. NBCU would then have the opportunity to submit a final offer.

An arbiter tapped by the FCC and American Arbitration Association will decide the final result within 90 days of being appointed. That decision can be appealed to the FCC.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/dish-sues-comcasts-nbcuniversal-over-ads-tweets--update-20160315-01235
I do wonder that if the FCC gets involved, do the details become public record ?

Evidently the lawsuit hasn't had any effect on NBCs stance on publicizing the whole thing. I hope Dish gets some damages out of that suit for breach of contract.

NBC should be ashamed of themselves. My "old" coffee friends were upset and in a panic this morning. Said their tv system had these big notices that Dish was changing their service and they would not be able to watch their local news. They were really upset. I tried to explain it but it was too much for them.

DISH Notifies NBCUniversal of Intent to Arbitrate; Networks to Remain Available to Customers

Notice triggers mandatory 10-day ‘cooling off period' under Comcast-NBCUniversal merger conditions

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Today, DISH notified NBCUniversal and the Federal Communications Commission of its intent to request arbitration to determine the terms and conditions of a renewed distribution agreement with NBCUniversal. This notice triggers a mandatory 10-day ‘cooling off period' during which DISH and NBCUniversal can continue negotiating and affected programming is required to remain available to DISH customers.

DISH issued the following statement regarding continued negotiations with NBCUniversal:

"DISH is committed to reaching a new distribution agreement with NBCUniversal and to not disrupt customers in the process. This 10-day cooling off period is an opportunity for continued negotiations while guaranteeing that NBCU cannot black out its networks to DISH customers.

"If, at the end of the cooling off period, we have not reached an agreement with NBCU, we will have up to five days to formally request arbitration. In the event of arbitration, affected programming would remain available during that process, and for the foreseeable future.

"We remain hopeful that we can reach a mutually beneficial agreement that benefits all parties, including our viewers."

Reactions: jegrant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)