DISH Confirms Streaming Subscription Service for Blockbuster Acquisition

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I truely believe Blockbuster and Dish want nothing to do with a streaming video service. However when you partner Dish and Blockbuster together, they have the ability to do this way better than Netflix.

This is nothing more than payback to Netflix to gain back all the lost PPV, and movie rental revenue lost over the past few years.

Once Dish gets their wireless internet in place, Blockbuster and Dish will have the ability to run Netflix out of business.

There will be competition but by the time Dish and BB get going Netflix will have 25 million customers in North, Central and South America. BB in the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico is still operating under their old business model (late fees, no combination by mail and in store plans etc.). BB will need to think globally and offer more convenience than Netflix.

Netflix also works very well with the Roku devices which start at $59. To compete and be a threat to Netflix, Dish will need to build a streaming video receiver into their receivers that works as well as current free standing video players. While some people will be willing to watch movies on their computer using Dish Online most people will not. Will Dish be willing to cannibalize its PPV and Pay TV revenue streams? Will the loss in these revenues be offset by adding streaming BB customers?

Finally how many of Dish's 14 million subs live in areas where high speed internet is available? Satellite TV got its start offering service to people that didn't have off air or CATV available?

jimdandyvi said:
There will be competition but by the time Dish and BB get going Netflix will have 25 million customers in North, Central and South America. BB in the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico is still operating under their old business model (late fees, no combination by mail and in store plans etc.). BB will need to think globally and offer more convenience than Netflix.

Netflix also works very well with the Roku devices which start at $59. To compete and be a threat to Netflix, Dish will need to build a streaming video receiver into their receivers that works as well as current free standing video players. While some people will be willing to watch movies on their computer using Dish Online most people will not. Will Dish be willing to cannibalize its PPV and Pay TV revenue streams? Will the loss in these revenues be offset by adding streaming BB customers?

Finally how many of Dish's 14 million subs live in areas where high speed internet is available? Satellite TV got its start offering service to people that didn't have off air or CATV available?

Are you saying Roku works down here without having to block your IP? I have been off island for a couple of months and have had to block my IP for Netflix to work on HTPC

englishtycoon said:
Are you saying Roku works down here without having to block your IP? I have been off island for a couple of months and have had to block my IP for Netflix to work on HTPC

Netflix enabled streaming to USVI June 30th. Bought a Roku and installed it early in July. I have a 1.5Mbs connection from BBVI over which I have streamed thirty movies and shows. No problem with rebuffering after I set Netflix video quality/ speed down to better. I don't notice much if any video quality difference between SD movies on Dish or Roku except once in awhile during rapid action scenes.

Netflix enabled streaming to USVI June 30th. Bought a Roku and installed it early in July. I have a 1.5Mbs connection from BBVI over which I have streamed thirty movies and shows. No problem with rebuffering after I set Netflix video quality/ speed down to better. I don't notice much if any video quality difference between SD movies on Dish or Roku except once in awhile during rapid action scenes.

I left Island June 10 for the summer, do you know if VuDu will be doing the same, I have 6mb with Choice when it works, would like to stream HD Movies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts