Dish Could Be Droping More Channels Soon

If we lose FX, my wife will swap us to Directv in a heartbeat. Screw the contract. I won't be able to stop her. Sons of Anarchy is our favorite show. I could live without it but her.....no way.

What is bad is that Dish appears to not really care about how many customers they lose in the negotiations. Look how long the dispute with Disney has been going on without resolution. While I am glad companies stand up to the providers, I just wish it was not always Dish doing it.

I knew that it was a joke, especially with the spelling errors, but I did not see any smileys. I asked if it was a joke because I knew there would be some who would take this seriously...and sure enough, Bob Haller was so anxious to prove that he was right that he took the bait hook line and sinker!

Looks like all of this comes down to what you're willing to deal with. Everyone has their fav programming, but at the end of the day it's about the dollar and your willingness (or not) to part with it. I agree that with everything around you going up in cost except your check, OTA is looking better, especially in large markets. Hell I even get some canadian OTA stuff, and they have no such digital law yet, and will never be on american sat tv.
In my case , when espn classic was bundled with the fox sports package I raised holy hell with dish simply because I watched a lot of old nascar stuff on classic and have zero use for FSN.
Out of all the channels I watch FX a little for than the rest but it isnt anything I couldnt deal with if it got dropped because of some lame ass disagreement over pricing. I think this is just the networks way of squeezing the providers and by extension the subs by packaging one decent channel with a lot of useless ones.

This week my DVR is going to be very busy, copying as much National Geographic material as I can from DISH onto my 2 Tb EHD.

Does anyone know if National Geographic Wild is being dropped as well? I would assume yes, but other posts haven't been listing it as one of the channels being dropped and I don't want to waste time copying it if it's not being dropped.

Background and Prediction

"Sons of Anarchy" notwithstanding, The order of battle is being controlled by the elephant in the room--the NFL, according to a couple industry types i talked to (i used to work in the industry). No one is directly involved with this dispute. But everyone talks, and this scenario makes too much sense not to happen.

BACKGROUND

1) It is assumed (but no one I know has confirmed information) that the contracts for FX, FSN, Fox Sports Regional Networks and NatGeo expire on Oct 1. So let's go with that.

2) It is assumed (but no one I know has confirmed information) that the contracts for Fox local Affiliates (including, in order of importance, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, New York ... ), expire Nov. 1.

3) No one knows (and no one really cares) when Speed, the BigTen network and Fox Soccer Channel expires. It does not matter. The elephant matters.

PREDICTION

1) FSN, FX and NatGeo will likely disappear Oct 1 or thereabouts as a preliminary to the World War III battle (below). The viewership of those channels is not high enough for Fox to care about the revenue, nor E* to care about the subscriber loss. Fox wants them rolled into the deal that includes the affiliates. Dish doesn't. So they will languish off air until the main battle is settled.

2) They will get picked back up on or about November 7 as part of the Fox Owned-and-Operated local station deal. Dish CANNOT lose the Fox O&Os. I expect The Fox owned local stations will likely be pulled from/by Dish on November 1, but will definitely be back on by November 7 at 1 p.m. Eastern Time. NFL kickoff time.

Dish is in an untenable position here. If they lose the NFL in Chicago, Philadelphia, new York and Dallas for any significant time, it would put three million subscribers at risk in just those metro areas. The resurgence of the Bears and Eagles only makes things worse for Dish. And all of those teams except the Eagles are on FOX that Sunday.

If the dispute dragged on to Thanksgiving, Dish might lose half of those subscribers. Millions. It would take years to recover from a hit like that.

I understand "Sons of Anarchy" might be a great show, but the NF of L trumps everything else and is not easily available online.

That's why Dish isn't making any noise. They are trying to cut a deal. They have to, unless Charlie is in a "Bet the company" mood.

]1) FSN, FX and NatGeo will likely disappear Oct 1 or thereabouts as a preliminary to the World War III battle (below). The viewership of those channels is not high enough for Fox to care about the revenue, nor E* to care about the subscriber loss. Fox wants them rolled into the deal that includes the affiliates. Dish doesn't. So they will languish off air until the main battle is settled.
You realize how important FSN is to local markets and to sports packages like CI and LP, don't you?

This will be a big loss of revenue and potential subs if your prediction is correct. This is why I am predicting that these channels will not be taken down and an agreement will come prior to the cut off date

It would be a huge loss for Dish if they dont get something done here. I will drop them myself if I dont have RSN's and then potentially lose Natgeo, and also the non ota of fox...unless they cut my bill by a third, I would leave for D*. They had better figure it out, I would think there company would be on the verge of collapse if they lose that many subscribers.

What is bad is that Dish appears to not really care about how many customers they lose in the negotiations. Look how long the dispute with Disney has been going on without resolution. While I am glad companies stand up to the providers, I just wish it was not always Dish doing it.

Trust me, Time Warner (who's my likely choice if Dish loses the Fox channels) stands up to providers, as well. I'd hate to switch back to Time Warner, but U-verse has horrible HD PQ plus only has two lousy HD-lite streams. Also, I'd lose the NFL Network during football season with Time Warner. TWC in Austin has more HD channels than anyone. TWC>U-verse>Dish>D* is in last place for # of HD channels. D* isn't even remotely an option for me.

You realize how important FSN is to local markets and to sports packages like CI and LP, don't you?

This will be a big loss of revenue and potential subs if your prediction is correct. This is why I am predicting that these channels will not be taken down and an agreement will come prior to the cut off date

You lost me on CI & LP. What are CI & LP ?

I betcha this is the holdup..

Fox wants RSN's to be full time and Charlie doesnt want to delegate the bandwidth because if he picked up all the Fox RSN's in HD, he would have to do the same with Comcast. Allocating any type of bandwidth for any sort of sports programming would be against any vallues that Charlie belives in. Time for Charlie to retire and sell. Hell hand it off to me! I'll atleast run it the way it should be ran, (and that not into the ground) Charlies doing a good job of that!

Well, I guess I'm going to have to keep a close eye on my channels. If we lose FSN and some Husker games, I'm going to have to switch. I hate to be the type that threatens to switch, but when it comes to the Huskers (and Sons of Anarchy to boot), I don't have a choice. They're going to force my hand to check into DirecTv.

If I lose FSC HD, I am gone. I tolerated losing GOLTV because FSC is much better, but this would really piss me off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts