Dish CSR please comment on mixed arc set-up for Puerto Rico and USVI customers

I understand that you are upset that the channels were moved off of 61.5 (a satellite you should not be getting HD channels from), and that you feel slighted by that. It was not intentional.

The channel moves were needing to happen, and they happened. That is really all there is to it.

Sure they needed to happen, what about DISH taking people's money for half in return. As an ex-DISH sub of 14 years plus you guys are still taking the BS from them. Like they say here "los estan cojiendo de lo que no son" Sorry, don't speak English.

dbs2000 said:
Sure they needed to happen, what about DISH taking people's money for half in return. As an ex-DISH sub of 14 years plus you guys are still taking the BS from them. Like they say here "los estan cojiendo de lo que no son" Sorry, don't speak English.

So what did you switch to, and if you switched why you here?

So his argument that the platinum package is only available to Conus customers is not valid.

Actually, it is very much valid. Non-CONUS customers (which include Alaska and Hawaii customers as well) are not supposed to get DISH Platinum per everything I have in writing. Since that package's inception, agents were trained that DISH Platinum (under any former name as well as current) was not to be added to any non-CONUS accounts. Follow-up trainings during 02/01 changes, as well as any previous changes, confirmed that this had not changed.

Alaska and Hawaii programming 'cards' are available on our website still, and neither of them show all premiums available in HD (even when CONUS customers get them), nor do they show DISH Platinum. The PR 'card' was available [on our website] until the recent addition of [officially supported] new programming to the area. It was then removed to be updated and reflect the new channels available. No ETA on its return but I have been pushing for an expedited return. DISH Platinum (under any name) was never on it either, and neither were the names of the channels currently being discussed.

There may have been something regarding the HD Add-on package, which was a promotional item. Notification was sent prior to the package being removed. It said something along the lines of 'When you signed up for service, we gave you this programming package as a free preview for joining the DISH Network family. It was intended to last between 1-3 months. We extended this offer far longer than we had originally planned.' You may have even heard that on phone calls if you called after it was removed.

Those programming cards also directly figure into:
1. Dish needs to set up a programming package for PR that is based on the satellites Dish is officially supporting. This alone might end all the problems. Then you would know what channels you are going to get before you even get Dish.

If you look at the Alaska and Hawaii cards, you will notice substantial missing HD premiums, which would be similar to what the PR card looked like. To be entirely on point here, I provided the link:

TV Channel Lineup - Satellite Channels on DISH Network

*******EDIT********
Found it! http://www.dishisla.com/images/stories/21451_line-upcard%20r0105-1.pdf
Left the original link to so that thread viewers can compare CONUS versus non-CONUS channel availability. The purpose is not to prove any point other then the channels you are missing were not advertised as available in the area at the price point given, or at any price point for that matter. My hope is still that more channels will be offered in the future, and hopefully all of them at that.

While it is valid to be disappointed (and express that disappointment), claims of 'wrong doing' are unfounded when it comes to what was advertised and what was provided.

2. Installers and second party sellers can't be allowed to give you an additional satellite that is not part of the PR package, nor can you do it yourself and expect to get programing off a satellite that is not in your PR package.

In PR/VI, 118.7 was meant to be used for international programming. It is possible that 61.5 would have been used for the same thing, however I cannot find any resource saying that orbital was ever to be installed in PR/VI. Reviewing the lineup card, the channels missing were not advertised as available by any means, regardless of configuration.

Last edited:
Seems a shame to build a satellite (E15) with excellent coverage of PR, and then alienate customers by refusing to use it as designed.

In all fairness though, Echo 14 (at 119) was the one 'designed' to further the support for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands [with a spotbeam on Cuba(??), as I found one of your posts to read LOL]. Interestingly enough, more channels came as a result. Echo 15 (61.5) was intended for CONUS support.

Last edited:
TonyT@DISH Network said:
Actually, it is very much valid. Non-CONUS customers (which include Alaska and Hawaii customers as well) are not supposed to get DISH Platinum per everything I have in writing. Since that package's inception, agents were trained that DISH Platinum (under any former name as well as current) was not to be added to any non-CONUS accounts. Follow-up trainings during 02/01 changes, as well as any previous changes, confirmed that this had not changed.

Alaska and Hawaii programming 'cards' are available on our website still, and neither of them show all premiums available in HD (even when CONUS customers get them), nor do they show DISH Platinum. The PR 'card' was available [on our website] until the recent addition of [officially supported] new programming to the area. It was then removed to be updated and reflect the new channels available. No ETA on its return but I have been pushing for an expedited return. DISH Platinum (under any name) was never on it either, and neither were the names of the channels currently being discussed.

There may have been something regarding the HD Add-on package, which was a promotional item. Notification was sent prior to the package being removed. It said something along the lines of 'When you signed up for service, we gave you this programming package as a free preview for joining the DISH Network family. It was intended to last between 1-3 months. We extended this offer far longer than we had originally planned.' You may have even heard that on phone calls if you called after it was removed.

Those programming cards also directly figure into:

If you look at the Alaska and Hawaii cards, you will notice substantial missing HD premiums, which would be similar to what the PR card looked like. To be entirely on point here, I provided the link:

TV Channel Lineup - Satellite Channels on DISH Network

*******EDIT******** Found it! http://www.dishisla.com/images/stories/21451_line-upcard%20r0105-1.pdf
Left the original link to so that thread viewers can compare CONUS versus non-CONUS channel availability. The purpose is not to prove any point other then the channels you are missing were not advertised as available in the area at the price point given, or at any price point for that matter. My hope is still that more channels will be offered in the future, and hopefully all of them at that.

While it is valid to be disappointed (and express that disappointment), claims of 'wrong doing' are unfounded when it comes to what was advertised and what was provided.

In PR/VI, 118.7 was meant to be used for international programming. It is possible that 61.5 would have been used for the same thing, however I cannot find any resource saying that orbital was ever to be installed in PR/VI. Reviewing the lineup card, the channels missing were not advertised as available by any means, regardless of configuration.

We don't get any of those locals in the VI. also can we even see the 118.7 down here?

Its wrong to charge us the same price as Conus and deliver less. We speak English in the VI so can't read the rate card

Good thing the package and channel titles are the same in either language, as is the designation HD :D. Sorry I could not find one 100% in English, though. To be honest, I am not even sure the one that was on our website was any different then that. I will see if I can get them to put one up when they do get it back.

So it would appear the two main points I made actually already existed. There is a rate card for PR/VI. And programming is indeed based on channels you can actually get.

Then there really is not much more. Anyone not happy with what you get needs to either get another provider, or see if you can persuade Dish to somehow give you more. But the way it has been approached is why anyone from PR/VI is not getting anywhere with this. 61.5 is not in the plans for it to be used as already discussed why.
As for cost, you have a choice to not get programming from Dish.
With the informative post from Tony, I am convinced this is not a problem with Dish Network, it is a problem of some just not liking what Dish is offering. You can find that with others in the CONUS, as well as with other providers!

Tampa8 said:
So it would appear the two main points I made actually already existed. There is a rate card for PR/VI. And programming is indeed based on channels you can actually get.

Then there really is not much more. Anyone not happy with what you get needs to either get another provider, or see if you can persuade Dish to somehow give you more. But the way it has been approached is why anyone from PR/VI is not getting anywhere with this. 61.5 is not in the plans for it to be used as already discussed why.
As for cost, you have a choice to not get programming from Dish.
With the informative post from Tony, I am convinced this is not a problem with Dish Network, it is a problem of some just not liking what Dish is offering. You can find that with others in the CONUS, as well as with other providers!

As stated by Tony the rate card is not available on the website and has not been for some time. Secondly why should we pay the same as Conus customers and get less programing. By other posts it seems in the past that Dish had no problem turning on programing on acres to the 61.5 for customers in PR/ VI. So it seems like they were for it before they were against it.

also looks like plans change:

"The launch of EchoStar 15 demonstrates DISH Network's continuing commitment to delivering the most high-quality HD programming at the best value," said Tom Cullen, executive vice president. "DISH Network is the only pay-TV provider that offers 'HD Free For Life' to every customer, and we're proud that EchoStar 15 will soon allow us to provide even more high definition channels for free."

So much has been said that the echostar 15 at 61.5 was not intended to be used in PR/ VI. so why is this in the FCC filing:

APPLICATION FOR AUTHORITY TO LAUNCH AND MODIFIED AUTHORITY TO OPERATE
Pursuant to Sections 308, 309 and 319 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended,1 and Part 25 of the Commission’s rules,2 EchoStar Corporation (“EchoStar”) files this application for authority to launch the EchoStar 15 satellite and for modified authority to operate that satellite on the Direct Broadcast Satellite (“DBS”) channels already licensed to EchoStar at the 61.5° W.L. orbital location. EchoStar 15 will operate a single large downlink broadcast beam encompassing the continental United States and Puerto Rico (“CONUS-plus beam”) in the 12.2- 12.7 GHz band and two uplink spot beams in the 17.3-17.8 GHz bands.3 EchoStar 15 will specifically be located at 61.55° W.L., within the 61.5° W.L. orbital cluster.

In all fairness though, Echo 14 (at 119) was the one 'designed' to further the support for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands [with a spotbeam on Cuba(??), as I found one of your posts to read LOL]. Interestingly enough, more channels came as a result. Echo 15 (61.5) was intended for CONUS support.

I would check the FCC filing for echo 15

and to further add.

A.1 Scope
ECHOSTAR-15
ATTACHMENT A Technical Information to Supplement Schedule S
This attachment contains the information required by §25.114(c) and other sections of the FCC Part 25 rules that cannot be captured by the Schedule S software.
A.2 General Description of Overall System Facilities, Operations and Services (§25.114(d)(1))
The ECHOSTAR-15 satellite will operate at 61.5°W.L. (specifically at 61.55o W.L., within the 61.5°W.L. ±0.2° orbital cluster and consistent with the ITU Region 2 BSS Plan) and will provide BSS services to CONUS and Puerto Rico. A single large area coverage beam is used on the downlink with higher gain spot beams used for the feeder uplink.

Ok Dish, you say you want us to have a one dish solution 119/110 and we are not supposed to have access to the 61.5. So why would you give us a spot beam on the new 61.2 that is going up?????????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)