DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Regardless of who dropped who I think it's a sign of more of this in the future. Leave Dish for Direct and you will be missing popular channels, leave Dish and Direct for Cable and the same could happen. It could happen anywhere you go these days.

Something some of us have been saying all along. ;)

Regardless of who dropped who I think it's a sign of more of this in the future. Leave Dish for Direct and you will be missing popular channels, leave Dish and Direct for Cable and the same could happen. It could happen anywhere you go these days.

True :)

I agree, I think some customers are done or may have never gone crazy when a channel or channels are dropped. Maybe the programmers will see that? maybe...

Does not mean though its wrong to ask for a roku :)

Do you know of a provider of goods or services that will let you continue to pay the old prices if you don't accept the new prices?

plenty of times providers and the satco/cable co's reach a temporary extension. Directv wanted a temporary extension while they talk. Viacrap said no and pulled the channels early

This is why a la cart would be the best solution. I should have a choice if I want my bill to increase in order keep AMC. With a la cart, I could get rid of a ton of garbage channels.

Iceberg said:
plenty of times providers and the satco/cable co's reach a temporary extension. Directv wanted a temporary extension while they talk. Viacrap said no and pulled the channels early

Don't overlook that Viacom gave Direct a 10 day extension before pulling them. So it's not so black and white. Who knows how negotiations were going during that period.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I for one don't agree. I see it as clear cut corporate greed on the part of viacom.:eek:

Is there such a corporate animal that doesn't appear greedy when viewed from the outside? I assume all these contracts that folks like Viacom and Dish and AMC and DirecTV fight over have clauses in them that require them to act in good faith. This essentially means that these companies agreed at some point to work together for their mutual benefit. For whatever reason, that isn't clear to me, companies that agreed to act in good faith are acting in ways that seem to be bad faith (telling your competitor to go pound sound and taking your toys home seems like bad faith to me). The media and television industry is in the midst of an upheaval as their entire world is changing and they are not happy about it. unfortunately that means the consumer is stuck in the middle and ends up losing, either due to high costs, or services we want not being available.

I for one don't agree. I see it as clear cut corporate greed on the part of viacom.:eek:

It is in DIRECTV's interest to keep costs as low as possible, that is pretty much the interest of any company in business. Then to make money they need to charge their customers as much as they think the customer will think is fair and reasonable. This is the same for both Viacom and DIRECTV. The dispute of course arises is when DIRECTV thinks they will lose or dissatisfy too many customers with a rate hike compared to those that they think will remain happy with the channels at any cost. If your merchandise (Viacom's ratings) is going down in value, it is really an uphill battle to convince your customers to take a price increase, it does as you mention make them look greedy.

Of course programming costs does not drive every price increase. Labor, satellites, backhaul, electricity, call centers, etc, all keep going up in price.

I just meant with cable you can get an install on Monday,then if your not happy leave Tuesday, normally unless the cable company your dealing with has a commitment deal.
Two of the bigger ones don't do this anymore unless you pay heavily for the month to month .. ie, no deals unless you commit to 24 months. At the very least they waive installation fees for a 1 or 2 year commitment ... going at them when they are having specials, and bundling seem to be cable at its cheapest.. but you would usually be committed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)