DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

plenty of times providers and the satco/cable co's reach a temporary extension. Directv wanted a temporary extension while they talk. Viacrap said no and pulled the channels early
But a la carte wouldn't work. People would have to pay $50 to $60 to get a dozen or so channels that they actually watched. A la carte would force channel providers to smoosh as much quality programming onto their main channels as they could, as they were no longer being paid regardless of the crap (infomercials or just bad programming) they showed. Moving the limited good programming from the niche channels to fill up air space on the bigger channels would mean that the niche channels would have no programming left and they'd disappear...which then would free up bandwidth for 24/7 RSNs. Absolutely wouldn't work at all!

The more I think about it, the current 'pay regardless what they play' model is ridiculous!

also the fact he has Dish and basically trashes Directv every chance he can is part of it too ;)

Of course I have Dish, that's why I am here. The dispute over Viacom has two players, one asking for an increase after 7 years and the other trying to control costs. But, it is not unreasonable for Viacom to insist that a deal be reached to stay on the air as it is the only real incentive to reach an agreement. It is NOT trashing DirecTV to say that there is fault on BOTH sides if a deal can't be reached.

BTW, it is a bit out of line to say that I am always bashing DirecTV. When I post over there it is almost always to correct the record when posters misstate features or pricing over here at Dish and not to bash DirecTV.

So much for a ratings decline, Breaking Bad up from last season, that's before all the Dish subs that Dish is subsidizing their introduction to VOD.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm in now way saying ratings won't stay up, I have no way of knowing, but I will say the first episode of a season often has a ratings increase, they get people who have heard about the show for the first time and now watch to see if they like it. Next episode or two will be a better indicator.

I'm in now way saying ratings won't stay up, I have no way of knowing, but I will say the first episode of a season often has a ratings increase, they get people who have heard about the show for the first time and now watch to see if they like it. Next episode or two will be a better indicator.
Yep, second week usually declines 10-15%...or more...all shows, on the average.

Until this afternoon, I hadn't watched anything on AMC since before it's removal on 6/30. I have Dish @ home and Both Dish and Directv at the office. I recorded the season premier of Breaking Bad and just finished watching it. First off, I thought it was a great episode. I see that the commercials for their original programming included the "Not available on Dish" statement. This is info people should have, I just can't recall other networks isuing similar warnings directed at other carriers in their commercials. It was a little annoying that AMC ran the preview of next weeks Breaking Bad during the 1st commercial break of "Podunk P.I." or whatever they call the show that followed BB. Of course I didn't record "Mayberry Rent-a-Cop" so I missed the BB preview. Oh well, I guess I'm lucky that with both services and usually enough spare time at the office, these channel disputes don't effect my tv viewing to much.

Why cant they just make the AMC channels a new package i would pay 5 or 10 dollars more for that? I wonder if this AXS channel that was HDNET is part of a package i might drop that if the other channels in the package are just as bad.

$2.99 per episode with 13 ep 38.87, amazon will sometimes have a 5% discount if you take the season so call it $37.

Say you have 10 shows you really like. $370, heck, 20 shows, so $740.

Cable or Sat bill around $70/month ends up $840.

Now if you go basic cable or sat, and get that price down to $30 a month. And say there are 10 shows you like that are not on your basic package so that's $320 a year + $360 for basic service and that's $680 a year.

The only real catch is HBO or Showtime which won't sell you their stuff without a subscription. That alone can be ~$200.

Numbers like that don't look too bad.

Mike_H said:
$2.99 per episode with 13 ep 38.87, amazon will sometimes have a 5% discount if you take the season so call it $37.

Say you have 10 shows you really like. $370, heck, 20 shows, so $740.

Cable or Sat bill around $70/month ends up $840.

Now if you go basic cable or sat, and get that price down to $30 a month. And say there are 10 shows you like that are not on your basic package so that's $320 a year + $360 for basic service and that's $680 a year.

The only real catch is HBO or Showtime which won't sell you their stuff without a subscription. That alone can be ~$200.

Numbers like that don't look too bad.

Granted it's a hypothetical, but I'm not sure there are 20 shows worth buying via amazon/iTunes on the AMC nets. I'd guess most people would have a hard time getting to 10.

Please note that I prefaced that last statement as a guess and qualified it by saying "most" people; I'm sure there are some users that record 10 programs across those channels, I'm just suggesting that they'd be in the minority.

The biggest problem with your pricing theory is that, given the way the channels are tiered, I'm not sure anyone could save $30/month by dropping down package levels because the only thing they watched in the top package was the AMC channels. People will likely still have to keep the higher packages because of other channels that are important to them. So the cost overall is more. Which is why it is nice that Dish has given out credits to compensate for having to make VOD purchases.i

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Less than 3M viewers for Breaking Bad. That's less that Face the Nation Sun morning news talk show pulls weekly. That is worthless ratings wise. AMC is in a big hurt w/ that kind of numbers on one of it's biggest pulling shows. This is one of their staple original shows that was pushed heavily. They even sent some of the actors to the Today show to promo it. I didn't realize low small a number that AMC pulled to the clip a couple of post back.

Less than 3M viewers for Breaking Bad. That's less that Face the Nation Sun morning news talk show pulls weekly. That is worthless ratings wise. AMC is in a big hurt w/ that kind of numbers on one of it's biggest pulling shows. This is one of their staple original shows that was pushed heavily. They even sent some of the actors to the Today show to promo it. I didn't realize low small a number that AMC pulled to the clip a couple of post back.

You missed the part where it was a record then I guess, and that people in this thread said ratings would drop? (18-49 up 35% BTW... 10-15% drop week over week will still make that a fantastic figure)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comparing viewership of an ota network show with a cable show is comparing apples to oranges. The "Big 4" ota networks routinely cancel shows for low viewership numbers, yet those same numbers for a cable program would be "monster hit" numbers.

Nielson shows the top listings for TV and Cable. A top cable show has just over 5 million viewers, the bottom show just under 4 million. A top Network show has just under 10.5 million viewers, and the bottom network show has just under 6 million viewers.

If Breaking Bad had 5 million, they did pretty good for a show not available to a few million viewers and with someone limited draw overall. Let's see how they do the rest of the season. My guess is they will do good enough.

Top 10 TV Ratings | Top 10 TV Shows

Nielson shows the top listings for TV and Cable. A top cable show has just over 5 million viewers, the bottom show just under 4 million. A top Network show has just under 10.5 million viewers, and the bottom network show has just under 6 million viewers.If Breaking Bad had 5 million, they did pretty good for a show not available to a few million viewers and with someone limited draw overall. Let's see how they do the rest of the season. My guess is they will do good enough.Top 10 TV Ratings | Top 10 TV Shows
OTA network ratings are lower in the summer though. Doesn't American Idol pull in 20 million viewers?

Nielson shows the top listings for TV and Cable. A top cable show has just over 5 million viewers, the bottom show just under 4 million. A top Network show has just under 10.5 million viewers, and the bottom network show has just under 6 million viewers.

If Breaking Bad had 5 million, they did pretty good for a show not available to a few million viewers and with someone limited draw overall.

Top 10 TV Ratings | Top 10 TV Shows
It did 2.9 million in primary time slot (3.5 with two additional plays), which will probably place it in the mid to upper teens for the night when the cable Nielsons come out later this morning.

THIS. Garbage reality shows out draw BB because that is what the masses want. I just hope ratings are good enough for AMC to put out more top tier dramas.

BB has to be one of the best original shows out in a long time. Most people who dismiss it have never seen it. Always tell them the same thing- watch the FIRST episode!! Everyone we have recommended the show to has become a fan.

The reality show garbage is still a mystery to us.... weight loss, dancing, singing... and they always find a way to draw in the contestants personal drama. Storage Wars, Pawn Stars and few others we watch every now and then are starting to do this, and they are losing us. Don't even bring up the likes of jersey shore.......

The other major annoyance- live twitter feeds!!! Deadliest catch lost us because of that BS.

At the end of the day, Dish did a pretty decent job in their attempt to retain customers over this AMC fiasco.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)