DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Ya gotta love it!!

AMC takes the high road with a shot across the bows by offering a free stream of the 1st episode to attract Dish customers to AMC by switching. A very positive move on their part.

Viacom takes the low road and pulls a bunch of their used to be free videos off the internet. A very negative move and one that just might bite them in the butt! :)

Ya gotta love it!!AMC takes the high road with a shot across the bows by offering a free stream of the 1st episode to attract Dish customers to AMC by switching. A very positive move on their part.Viacom takes the low road and pulls a bunch of their used to be free videos off the internet. A very negative move and one that just might bite them in the butt! :)
Interesting that AMC is still pushing this issue. I heard an ad on the radio this morning about Breaking Bad starting back up on July 15th, except for Dish subscribers and that Dish subscribers should contact Dish about it.

I found this to be very interesting. On WFLA last night (or the night before) the AMC commercial promoting Breaking Bad did not mention Dish, instead it said if you enjoy Breaking Bad be sure to let your TV provider know. .........

Ya gotta love it!!

AMC takes the high road with a shot across the bows by offering a free stream of the 1st episode to attract Dish customers to AMC by switching. A very positive move on their part.
I'm not certain how great this is. AMC is streaming an episode of something that people will or won't want. I doubt Breaking Bad will gain any new viewers. People with Dish that like Breaking Bad already know they want it and would decide whether to leave to be able to watch it. I don't see how streaming the first episode is going to lure any one in. It is just a publicity stunt to try and make them look like the good guys.

Viacom takes the low road and pulls a bunch of their used to be free videos off the internet. A very negative move and one that just might bite them in the butt! :)
But isn't one of Directv's issues with Viacom is that Viacom offers this material online to begin with, "cheapening" the product that Directv is paying Viacom to be able to show?

It is just a publicity stunt to try and make them look like the good guys
And it's not a bad idea. Look at how negative people are getting twards Viacom since they stopped online streaming of their shows for EVERYONE because of their fight with DIRECTV.

I thought it was a dirty move for dish to post the FB comment about Viacom being on their system for years to come... I LOVE Dish but this was just cheesy and a low blow. Direct TV at least has a slate and a video saying why Viacom was removed and Dish really had no slate about the AMC Removal.(granite AMC did a damn good job letting us know that dish was dropping it.)

I thought it was a dirty move for dish to post the FB comment about Viacom being on their system for years to come... I LOVE Dish but this was just cheesy and a low blow. Direct TV at least has a slate and a video saying why Viacom was removed and Dish really had no slate about the AMC Removal.(granite AMC did a damn good job letting us know that dish was dropping it.)
And it's not a bad idea. Look at how negative people are getting twards Viacom since they stopped online streaming of their shows for EVERYONE because of their fight with DIRECTV.
Yep. Right or wrong, no matter which side is more justified in this issue between Dish and AMC, this does make AMC appear to be the reasonable ones to many subscribers. And the moves by Viacom make them appear to be the bad guys in the Direct and Viacom debacle.

Sometimes what you do publicly during these disputes can be more important than what goes on behind the scenes.

Nice reductio ad absurdum

Nicely done. I was trying to find the right wording. You can probably "show" any view is wrong using absurd or extreme examples. And many items in that list while needed, could be done by local authority rather than Federal.

Ya gotta love it!!

It's that sort of behavior that drove so many to support content provider AMC against the carrier Dish, but support the carrier DirecTV against the content provider Viacom.

Holy crap. That will try and spin anything around to support their position. They just come off looking worse each time they attempt it. They are better off saying nothing.

Using their logic, Roku streaming devices have no value because Dish is giving them away due to special circumstance. And, all of the channels available in Free Preview for limited times have no value either. Perhaps they should be available for free all of the time, using their twisted logic.

Last edited:
AMC specifically states that Dish did not attempt to negotiate carriage, and that AMC did not ask for any monetary increase. Interesting.
Obviously, they are going to say things that bolster their position. But, if it's true, it really does point to bad faith on Dish's part.

"To clarify the situation, AMC Networks and DISH are not in a fee negotiation of any kind. We have not requested more money from DISH."

Get the Facts « Keep AMC Networks

AMC specifically states that Dish did not attempt to negotiate carriage, and that AMC did not ask for any monetary increase. Interesting.
Obviously, they are going to say things that bolster their position. But, if it's true, it really does point to bad faith on Dish's part.

"To clarify the situation, AMC Networks and DISH are not in a fee negotiation of any kind. We have not requested more money from DISH."

Get the Facts « Keep AMC Networks

Well that explains the standoff with Uverse, Uverse wouldn't accept a no increase contract. Sure.

Never got the email last weekend, but a post card today with a phone number to call. The front of the post card states, "There's more than one way to watch your FAVORITES". But they forgot to list DirecTV.

Luckily I've been waiting for most of the bugs in the Hopper to get resolved before making that move, because now I have other options to get my locals that I did not have a year ago. I'm not calling them for any freebies, I'm willing to buy the next season of Walking Dead on Xbox. Then next year when I'm out of contract, I'll decide what option is best for me.

If the new business model is to remove everyone's favorite shows, they should take out HBO next.

After a few days of rethinkng my stand, I called Dish tonight so see what reward offers they were refering to on their post card. I was asked about what the post card was, so I explained it was about AMC. I got the spill on how AMC wanted three times what Dish was willing to pay and then asked what shows did I like on there. I commented on how I liked The Walking Dead and The Killing, then was asked if I liked Breaking Bad. I said that I did not watch it and he apologized that I couldn't watch The Walking Bad, yes The Walking Bad, on Dish. He told me to stay on the line while he passes on my call to another department with the information he gathered from me.

The next person gave me the same spill and immediately offered me a Roku. After telling me about the Roku he asked if I was good with this and I said yes. I then asked if there were any credits. At this point he immediately offer me $10 off for six months. Which I told him I was also good with, and commented that this would pay for two season passes. This rapped up the call.

I now feel that this was a good move by Dish to send out the emails and post cards, as I feel better about them. After a five minute call I still get to watch the next two season of The Walking Dead without any extra coin coming out of my pocket!

I figure I will play around with the Roku and see if its something I really need. Currently one tv has the Xbox on it and the other two TVs have Amazon built into them. If the Roku is not needed, I'll see if any family or friends need one.

Neutron said:
I have been wanting the Hopper since it first came out and we have been in a contract for 8 months now. I still can't get DISH to even get me to the $100 deal let alone even trying to get it for free. Never one late bill since it's autopay.... Very irritating....

You need to call and say cancel service . This puts you on with the loyalty department . Ask for the hopper for 100 bucks. If they say no then say with directv I can get free DVr equipment right now. I got a 2nd hopper for 100 bucks because the rep noticed that I already paid for a hopper and Joey. Regular csr offered it for 250. So glad I didn't say yes to that. Just be kind and persistent and hopefully they will offer you the 100 deal. Loyalty is more willing to work with you than regular customer service is but within reason also .

Dish drops he AMC channels, Direct drops the Viacom channels and now my local Bright House has dropped NBC and CW channels. What will go next?

I'm po'ed I will not be getting Walking Dead...The children have better settled their differences by then.

Viacom, AMC, CW...It's beyond ridiculous. These businesses need to learn to settle their disputes in a manner where the consumer doesn't get dinged...:mad:

I'm po'ed I will not be getting Walking Dead...The children have better settled their differences by then.

Viacom, AMC, CW...It's beyond ridiculous. These businesses need to learn to settle their disputes in a manner where the consumer doesn't get dinged...:mad:

For the most part, in the past these have been handled just as you have suggested. But more recently, the content providers have asked for very much more in increases than they got in the past. And that has gotten us to this point in time.

Here's the way I look at it. It is very irritating to lose channels, but it is also very irritating to have the bills increase too. D* and E* are both looking at when the tipping point might be reached, where we as consumers say 'stop!' and cancel or change to lower packages just to keep the bill inline. But if we reduce the package, we won't be happy because we will be missing our channels, so then we will start looking for alternatives or just say to hell with it.

And considering that the rate increase requests are far and above any cost of living adjustment, and our paychecks aren't even keeping up with that, the time could come sooner than later.

At this moment in time, we are seeing the current corporate positions as being 'less for more' and that isn't just in programming either. For instance, Tuna has always been a 6.25oz can, now it is a 5 oz can. Did the price go down? Nope, went up! And that is in nearly every area of consumer goods and services.

lparsons21 said:
For the most part, in the past these have been handled just as you have suggested. But more recently, the content providers have asked for very much more in increases than they got in the past. And that has gotten us to this point in time.

Here's the way I look at it. It is very irritating to lose channels, but it is also very irritating to have the bills increase too. D* and E* are both looking at when the tipping point might be reached, where we as consumers say 'stop!' and cancel or change to lower packages just to keep the bill inline. But if we reduce the package, we won't be happy because we will be missing our channels, so then we will start looking for alternatives or just say to hell with it.

And considering that the rate increase requests are far and above any cost of living adjustment, and our paychecks aren't even keeping up with that, the time could come sooner than later.

At this moment in time, we are seeing the current corporate positions as being 'less for more' and that isn't just in programming either. For instance, Tuna has always been a 6.25oz can, now it is a 5 oz can. Did the price go down? Nope, went up! And that is in nearly every area of consumer goods and services.

I agree, the cost of everything is constantly going up and it is high time a stand is taken. It seems the only thing not going up is my paycheck. Of course it would ber so much better if companies could take a stand without taking out out on us and using us as pawns.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts