DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

I just disagree. One or two shows does not a network make. They have not been innovative beyond a couple very good, watched shows. What did TNT do? They not only have better syndicated shows overall (based on viewership) but they included some sports. Ditto TBS. USA has a hit show on almost if not all year long, sometimes more than two, and some sports, and again, shows other than their own that people want to watch. It makes those channels worth more. I don't buy Dish saying they don't have good programming, if that's the standard there are plenty of channels that can be dropped. But as for how valuable, that is a discussion. If the FOX network had two highly watched shows a year, with much less watched otherwise as compared to CBS or NBC, they too might be dropped over cost. But they don't, they have several watched shows, news, and various other things people do watch.

Last edited:
I just disagree. One or two shows does not a network make. They have not been innovative beyond a couple very good, watched shows. What did TNT do? They not only have better syndicated shows overall (based on viewership) but they included some sports. Ditto TBS. USA has a hit show on almost if not all year long, sometimes more than two, and again, shows other than their own that people want to watch. It makes those channels worth more. I don't buy Dish saying they don't have good programming, if that's the standard there are plenty of channels that can be dropped. But as for how valuable, that is a discussion. If the FOX network had two highly watched shows a year, with much less watched otherwise as compared to CBS or NBC, they too might be dropped over cost. But they don't, they have several watched shows, news, and various other things people do watch.

So, you are telling me if you favorite show was on AMC you wouldn't be upset if the provider you have didn't carry AMC? It depends on how important your favorite show is to you. I know for me if I couldn't watch my favorite couple shows I would find the provider that carried those shows if the provider carried most of the other channels I would like. For me at least my top favorite shows is the reason I would even want to watch TV. I don't watch or care about very few TV shows except for my favorites.

For me at least my top favorite shows is the reason I would even want to watch TV. I don't watch or care about very few TV shows except for my favorites.
Well, then just buy the shows you want on Blu-ray or streaming and don't pay at all for pay-TV. You'll save yourself a whole heck of a lot more money that way. $40 a season X 8 shows a year is much less than paying $50-$80 per month for 12 months.

Well, then just buy the shows you want on Blu-ray or streaming and don't pay at all for pay-TV. You'll save yourself a whole heck of a lot more money that way. $40 a season X 8 shows a year is much less than paying $50-$80 per month for 12 months.
I have thought of this and am pretty close on doing just that. My problem is my wife wants and likes to watch the local news and I sometimes have a few sports that I would like(Pac 12 football games - reason I want Dish) and isn't on streaming services. There isn't even 8 shows that I have to watch each year. Maybe 4-5 at most that I have to watch with maybe 3-4 more that I could watch if I'm in the mood.

So, you are telling me if you favorite show was on AMC you wouldn't be upset if the provider you have didn't carry AMC? It depends on how important your favorite show is to you. I know for me if I couldn't watch my favorite couple shows I would find the provider that carried those shows if the provider carried most of the other channels I would like. For me at least my top favorite shows is the reason I would even want to watch TV. I don't watch or care about very few TV shows except for my favorites.

I see that point, and I didn't say someone shouldn't be mad at Dish or AMC, and shouldn't get another carrier. My argument is not that someone should or should not switch. The debate is how much are they worth to a carrier, and just how many would leave over one show. And can it be mitigated.
I can only speak for myself, for one or two shows from a network, assuming I liked my carrier other than losing that network, I would get that show from Hulu or Amazon etc... Since there are only so many per year to watch if it's one or two. And that's where the overall programming comes in. Take away USA for instance, a channel that I watch virtually every show it produces, which are many, and watch reruns of NCIS and other shows they have often, that might give me pause if it was never coming back.
I do agree with you, losing a favorite show you wait for every week could be enough to make you change carriers, even if I wouldn't, especially if you do not watch alot of TV.

Last edited:
I have thought of this and am pretty close on doing just that. My problem is my wife wants and likes to watch the local news and I sometimes have a few sports that I would like(Pac 12 football games - reason I want Dish) and isn't on streaming services. There isn't even 8 shows that I have to watch each year. Maybe 4-5 at most that I have to watch with maybe 3-4 more that I could watch if I'm in the mood.

Have you tried an OTA for local news?

Spoke to a Dish retailer today. He told me he received a fax blast that AMC will return on 11/1. I think he was blowing smoke. Anyone else hear that?

In my opinion. The crowd saying two shows doesn't make a network is right. If AMC was a broadcast network. It wouldn't survive. Look at UPN and The WB. They needed to merge to save themselves. UPN especially. Its one cash cow in the end was what? WWE and Everybody Hates Chris? The rest of the lineup was completely forgetable. And now it's gone. The two shows I mentioned were the only ones from UPN to survive the first season of The CW. Now the question is how many of AMC's original shows would we call hits? I can see an argument for more than two.

Spoke to a Dish retailer today. He told me he received a fax blast that AMC will return on 11/1. I think he was blowing smoke. Anyone else hear that?

I doubt this is true. If there was a settlement Monday I would think they would be back on before the next Sunday 10/28 for the next TWD. I guess it could be true but I wouldn't think it would take 2 weeks to get AMC back.

Although unlikely, the other option is the settlement does not include the return of AMC Networks.

IDK, I'd think a settlement offer including a long-term agreement is completely possible. The question is, will a settlement of that sort be in time to get AMC back before the 3rd TWD episode?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)